La Colombe d'Or Hotel At 3410 Montrose Blvd.

Urbannizer

On 9/2/2016 at 7:44 PM, Texasota said:

"more substantial than what a bus would need"

This really is the biggest problem with BRT- you do true BRT and the same people who killed the light rail complain. I support BRT, but it's way too often used as an excuse to do nothing.

Pretty much. Some people simply don't want mass transit upgrades of any form, especially in front of their business. So myopic, it hurts the brain.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

I bet this one stays idle or dormant for a while. Hines has already shifted from the Menil sight and perhaps the market is just a little bit too overbuilt for right now. Does anyone have any numbers for the Hanover next door?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Triton said:

Really surprised residences from 3400 Montrose haven't sued this development. Going to destroy the view for those living or have sections located the south side.

That's not a cause of action you could actually sue for. You have no right to a guaranteed view.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ross said:

That's not a cause of action you could actually sue for. You have no right to a guaranteed view.

I have a feeling that with high quality representation, one could find some legal standing to hold nearly any project up.

5777bbb2d82c7_screenshot_forum_skyscraperpage_com_2016_07_02_08_03_20.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, swtsig said:

on top of the fact that they're renters and not owners.

Could the facility itself sue for loss of revenue due to a good portion of the southern view being blocked by this development?

Edit: I don't know the floor plan but I would imagine less people may want to rent on the south side with this view gone. Unless these units have sections of the entire floor that includes both the north and south sides?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triton said:

Could the facility itself sue for loss of revenue due to a good portion of the southern view being blocked by this development?

Edit: I don't know the floor plan but I would imagine less people may want to rent on the south side with this view gone. Unless these units have sections of the entire floor that includes both the north and south sides?

Of course the facility can sue, but such a suit would almost certainly be unsuccessful.   As was mentioned above, there is no property right in a view.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/12/20/barringer-bar-to-close-as-new-downtown-mixed-use.html

The Zimmerman family is working on another project to build a luxury apartment tower. It's the Zimmermans’ first foray into multifamily, and they have partnered with Hines Interests Ltd. to develop the Residences at La Colombe d’Or, a 34-story, 285-unit luxury apartment tower on the back of their boutique hotel. The project should be completed in 2020. When finished, the Residences at La Colombe d’Or will connect to the hotel through an art gallery and outdoor plaza with fireplace. The Zimmermans also plan to execute a $10 million renovation and expansion of the hotel.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, wxman said:

So this highrise will be right next door to the Hanover Tower, right? That'll look kinda strange I think.

The grouping of the SkyHouse, Arabella, and Wilshire by Uptown is the closest thing I can think of. This will be toward the back of the property, and the Hanover as I recall does not extend along the full length of its lot, so there will be a slight offset between these two.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

http://www.chron.com/life/home/design/article/Highrise-apartments-will-replace-La-Colombe-d-Or-12529317.php#photo-14947399

The historic ballroom of Montrose Boulevard's boutique hotel La Colombe d'Or will see its last waltz at a private party this weekend.

Le Grand Salon de la Comtesse, an 18th-century Rococo room with walls of English oak paneling, gild-ed-frame mirrors and grand chandeliers.

The salon is named for the French-Belgian princess La Comtesse Elisabeth Greffulhe, who is immortal-ized as a character in Marcel Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past."

Oil tycoon John Mecom Sr. brought the 45x65 feet room over in pieces in the 1960s. His son sold it to Houston businessman Steve Zimmerman in the 1990s, who ensconced it in a stucco building adjacent to his hotel and restaurant. Starting Monday, it will be dismantled and stored to make way for a new 34-story luxury apartment building.

What will happen to the old ballroom?

The Zimmerman family is partnering with the global developer Hines and TH Real Estate to build the Residences a La Colombe d'Or, on the spot where the ballroom building currently sits.

But La Colombe d'Or will stay at 3410 Montrose. Zimmerman will continue to operate the hotel, which will get a $10 mil-lion makeover and a restaurant upgrade.

Residents and hotel guests in both buildings will share a slew of luxury amenities, including the tower's 10th-level swimming pool and the courtyard's sculptures, fountains and an outdoor fireplace.

Hines tried to be as sensitive as possible to the property's historical asset, said Kevin Batchelor, senior managing director for Hines' southwest region. "The alternative would be to tear it down and build a bigger, clunkier building. Instead of using every square inch of land, we reduced the footprint and went slightly taller, but left room for parks, which enhances the connectivity."

• Like 3