Urbannizer

La Colombe d'Or Hotel Expanding with new Residential High-Rise

Our constantly changing skyline must make the google maps people feel like they're playing whack a mole,

with all of the high-rises and midrises popping up out of the ground all over town!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, bobruss said:

Our constantly changing skyline must make the google maps people feel like they're playing whack a mole,

with all of the high-rises and midrises popping up out of the ground all over town!

I know the Google Maps 3D models of Houston are pretty far behind, dont know who handles or if its done by an army of volunteers... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

I know the Google Maps 3D models of Houston are pretty far behind, dont know who handles or if its done by an army of volunteers... 

Yeah, the current renderings of Houston are significantly different, I believe that imagery is from either 2013-14. It's just a testament to the rapid development that has taken place in the past 5 years. While I would love to see new imagery, if it's going to take this long to update I would rather have them update it in 2023 or 24 so that we see developments like Texas Tower, the Preston, and Arise Post Oak done by then.

• Like 1

For all of the clamor, it looks like neither one of the buildings really blocks either ones best views.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

While I would love to see new imagery, if it's going to take this long to update I would rather have them update it in 2023 or 24 so that we see developments like Texas Tower, the Preston, and Arise Post Oak done by then.

Looking at the area inside the loop, we already have new imagery (from February 2019) if you turn off "Globe" mode in Google Maps, to disable the 3D view.  But yes, the 3D view is quite old, from about February 2015.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rechlin said:

Looking at the area inside the loop, we already have new imagery (from February 2019) if you turn off "Globe" mode in Google Maps, to disable the 3D view.  But yes, the 3D view is quite old, from about February 2015.

Yeah, I notice they definitely update the satellite imagery, which is good. But your average joe checking out Google Earth will still see the older imagery if they don't adjust the settings or are viewing the 3D imagery from Google Maps, so it will be nice when they finally update it again. 

• Like 1

This building is going to look really nice when finished.  I was worried about it’s close proximity to Hanover Montrose, but as I look at it now I think they did a great job positioning it so that there is minimal interference.  The angle on the east face helps to protect Hanover’s views to the south. 

• Like 4

Headed to Kroger, noticed the climber up on top. 4 sections on the ground ready to go up. Probably the last climb needed to complete the building.

rcnVSPg.jpg

6C1Zapf.jpg

kM4jlUR.jpg

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Headed to Kroger, noticed the climber up on top. 4 sections on the ground ready to go up. Probably the last climb needed to complete the building.

rcnVSPg.jpg

6C1Zapf.jpg

kM4jlUR.jpg

You are correct!

Probably a very dumb question for construction folks, but do different companies have different colored (and/or sized) cranes? You would think if they were interchangeable there would be an instance where one would see a crane with some different colored segments after being jumped but I’ve literally never seen that, so I’m guessing there must be some sort of color differentiation among companies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

The parts aren't interchangeable. The yellow cranes you see are Liebherr, blues are usually Heede's Linden Comansa, grayish white ones tend to be Terex. Potain tower cranes may vary in color but usually red. And if a company buys enough of them they can be painted whatever color they want. I've seen a lime green Liebherr.

Thanks! Appreciate the great info

• Like 3

On 6/30/2019 at 2:19 PM, hindesky said:

The parts aren't interchangeable. The yellow cranes you see are Liebherr, blues are usually Heede's Linden Comansa, grayish white ones tend to be Terex. Potain tower cranes may vary in color but usually red. And if a company buys enough of them they can be painted whatever color they want. I've seen a lime green Liebherr.

https://www.liebherr.com/en/usa/products/construction-machines/tower-cranes/tower-cranes.html

http://www.heedesoutheast.com

https://www.terex.com/cranes/en/products/tower-cranes

https://www.manitowoccranes.com/en/cranes/potain

Also worth noting: Liebherr cranes tend to be distributed by Morrow Equipment, similar to how Heede provides the Linden ones. Liebherr/Morrow tend to show up a ton down here, especially on the highrise and larger scale projects. I know that Morrow has a yard down Cullen near Almeda-Genoa. Only reason I know that is because years ago I saw the tops of three or four tower cranes rising above that area and I wasn't aware of a specific project there - just found the yard in the process. I guess they are the demo models that could be used.

• Like 6