La Colombe d'Or Hotel At 3410 Montrose Blvd.

Urbannizer

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montrose is going to be high rise boulevard with its location to the park and the museums and the location between downtown and the med center.

Hopefully they are still working on plans to rebuild Montrose with new sidewalks, signage, and lighting to make it into a grand boulevard!

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Montrose is going to be high rise boulevard with its location to the park and the museums and the location between downtown and the med center.

Hopefully they are still working on plans to rebuild Montrose with new sidewalks, signage, and lighting to make it into a grand boulevard!

Oh so there are plans to do that? I always wonder about that

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

Doubt that will happen anytime soon.  They can't even keep the lights on

I've read how the business owners feel like their money has gone to waste. I see their side because I always wonder why the district doesn't focus on the main boulevard and new sidewalks, etc. On the other hand I hate how this city drops the ball when it comes to drawing attention to itself. Those lights added to our city. So whether or not the MMD or the business owners agree or not, the city should find a way to fund this regardless. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobruss said:

We better all be hoping the Montrose Management District not only survives, but achieves a consensus on project moving forward. It is ridiculous they have gotten so much negative press with our community not supporting their efforts to improve the area

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Avossos said:

We better all be hoping the Montrose Management District not only survives, but achieves a consensus on project moving forward. It is ridiculous they have gotten so much negative press with our community not supporting their efforts to improve the area

From everything I've seen or heard since the MMD started, they appear to operate only for the benefit of the managers and the associated law firms. If they did anything useful, there would not be nearly unanimous opposition to their actions by the supposed beneficiaries of the district.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ross said:

From everything I've seen or heard since the MMD started, they appear to operate only for the benefit of the managers and the associated law firms. If they did anything useful, there would not be nearly unanimous opposition to their actions by the supposed beneficiaries of the district.

Exactly the problem. You are misinformed. They are not allowed to speak or represent their side. Hopefully truth comes out.

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

Exactly the problem. You are misinformed. They are not allowed to speak or represent their side. Hopefully truth comes out.

I have no horse in this race but this intrigues me. Is it a first ammendment case? Who’s keeping them from speaking? Is someone keeping you from speaking? If you know the truth you can post it here.. or is someone keeping you from telling us the truth?

Edited by jgriff

9 hours ago, Avossos said:

What do you mean "not allowed"? MMD CHOOSES not to speak, presumably because they know they have nothing believable to say. At least that's how I interpret the non-statements they've made. Are you arguing that the business owners that are so opposed to MMD should STFU and let their "betters" decide what's best for the area? The truth is that 80% of the taxed entities in the area signed a petition to disband the district. That should be the end result here, regardless of any supposed benefits. 

What’s congress approval rating? Maybe we should disban it. I live in a protected historic district. Should there be a way to disban it? Thank God there is not.

Like them or not, the MMD chose the best use of tax payer money was NOT to hire a marketing firm or legal team to state their case... perhaps better use of the money was to do good for the area, like hire additional patrol or clean up condemned structures. Now.. they are suffering from continued attacks with no response AND the judge has silenced them / forced them to leave all bills unpaid.

Look at how the MMD was created. It wasn’t forced upon anyone. Their money is spent to serve their people. Half the people complaining are ones that are angry their specific need isn’t supported by the majority.

Who here like Upper Kirby? Well the area is served and strategized by their management district. It’s beautiful and the infrastructure is great. Those who wish Montrose the same good fortune, think how this will get done logistically without a planning body. Houston must have a group of people with the ability to put some power to their ideas. This is the best way for this to be done.

• Like 2

The State of Texas has specific rules around the creation and dissolution of the district.  The truth is that the District Court found that a mistake was made when the  Montrose Management District (at least the west half) was founded.  They did not have the minimum number of property owners sign the petition for formation.  Also, over 1,000 owners of assessed properties signed petitions to dissolve the district after it was formed, which was greater than the 80% threshold needed according to the law.  However, the district unilaterally rejected the petition as invalid.  These are the issues that the two lawsuits are about.  A judgement has been rendered in the first, and I believe the second goes to trial later this year. 

If businesses feel they are benefiting from the additional assessment they pay, then management districts will have their support.  In this case it seems clear that the majority of assessed property owners do not think the district is working in their best interests.  They are the taxed and they are expressing their displeasure with the way the money is being spent.  It is quite similar to a ballot referendum on residential property taxes or city budget spending limits.  Businesses don't vote in elections, so the petition process is used in this case to authorize and amend an assessment that only they pay.

Also, this is not the TIRZ.  Most of the money for infrastructure improvement (both in Montrose and in Kirby) will come from that.  The "districts" primarily handle private security and beautification.  

• Like 2

On 1/27/2018 at 10:26 AM, bobruss said:

Uptown looks so incredible (even more so now with the new Post Oak Blvd project) with curbs, sidewalks, lighting, trees, etc...Kirby and now with the River Oaks portion of Westheimer included looks amazing with its new curbs, sidewalks and lighting...I have long wondered why the Montrose (and Westheimer area of Montrose) continues to look so run down...they really are in need of something to make the area look nicer and more cohesive...uniform curbs, sidewalks, lighting and landscaping would be a huge help! I hope they get the same attention and makeover these other areas are getting! Love that part of town, so I hope it happens soon enough! 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gene said:

Uptown looks so incredible (even more so now with the new Post Oak Blvd project) with curbs, sidewalks, lighting, trees, etc...Kirby and now with the River Oaks portion of Westheimer included looks amazing with its new curbs, sidewalks and lighting...I have long wondered why the Montrose (and Westheimer area of Montrose) continues to look so run down...they really are in need of something to make the area look nicer and more cohesive...uniform curbs, sidewalks, lighting and landscaping would be a huge help! I hope they get the same attention and makeover these other areas are getting! Love that part of town, so I hope it happens soon enough! 

I would imagine there is a desire to "Keep Montrose Weird." Public enhancements translates into higher rents, and that drives out the independently owned businesses and replaces them with chains. All fine and good for Uptown but Montrose is not trying to be a high end shopping district.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I would imagine there is a desire to "Keep Montrose Weird." Public enhancements translates into higher rents, and that drives out the independently owned businesses and replaces them with chains. All fine and good for Uptown but Montrose is not trying to be a high end shopping district.

Actually it's way too late to "keep montrose weird" and that indeed is unfortunate....long gone is the montrose I have been running around in since the 80's!!! It makes me sad for sure! Now lets make it at least presentable as far as the roads and sidewalks go...obviously you haven't tried to ride a bike in Montrose...the poorly maintained streets and sidewalks make it near impossible...so lets not make it "not weird", let's just make it "not ugly" and "not safe" ;) 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, gene said:

Actually it's way too late to "keep montrose weird" and that indeed is unfortunate....long gone is the montrose I have been running around in since the 80's!!! It makes me sad for sure! Now lets make it at least presentable as far as the roads and sidewalks go...obviously you haven't tried to ride a bike in Montrose...the poorly maintained streets and sidewalks make it near impossible...so lets not make it "not weird", let's just make it "not ugly" and "not safe" ;) 

Westheimer Rd between Montrose and Bagby is horrendous!  

• Like 2

I know very little about the politics of the Montrose TIRZ, and have little interest in finding out all the sordid details, however I did attend a public meeting perhaps 3 years ago with a room full of Montrose citizens, business leaders, and politicians to discuss a project to transform Montrose Blvd. into a world class street with wider sidewalks, lighting,

landscaping and signage. It was an effort to make Montrose BLVD. a more walkable street. It took place at the greek orthodox church and it was well attended. It seemed to be a 

well received idea and I thought something positive was finally going to happen to Montrose to make it a great street. 

This was before there was any plan to create a TIRZ.

This would benefit so many and bring this boulevard the framework to incubate much more growth in terms of high rise residential projects and the like.

This could be our Museum Mile with the number of Museums that call Montrose home. 

From Hermann Park all the way to Buffalo Bayou park. 

They could restructure the Montrose BLVD. and Westheimer intersection into  a large round about with a large civic fountain like the Mecum fountain in the center

with middies condos around the circle. Sculpture in the esplanades from one end of Montrose to the other.

It could be our Champs de Elysees.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, bobruss said:

I know very little about the politics of the Montrose TIRZ, and have little interest in finding out all the sordid details, however I did attend a public meeting perhaps 3 years ago with a room full of Montrose citizens, business leaders, and politicians to discuss a project to transform Montrose Blvd. into a world class street with wider sidewalks, lighting,

landscaping and signage. It was an effort to make Montrose BLVD. a more walkable street. It took place at the greek orthodox church and it was well attended. It seemed to be a 

well received idea and I thought something positive was finally going to happen to Montrose to make it a great street. 

This was before there was any plan to create a TIRZ.

This would benefit so many and bring this boulevard the framework to incubate much more growth in terms of high rise residential projects and the like.

This could be our Museum Mile with the number of Museums that call Montrose home. 

From Hermann Park all the way to Buffalo Bayou park. 

They could restructure the Montrose BLVD. and Westheimer intersection into  a large round about with a large civic fountain like the Mecum fountain in the center

with middies condos around the circle. Sculpture in the esplanades from one end of Montrose to the other.

It could be our Champs de Elysees.

There is a non-profit with a successful track record of making stuff like this happen in Houston.......  

http://www.scenichouston.org/

perhaps those coordinating a project like this might contact them?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texas911 said:

Wouldn't want to have a house near that, all those residences looking down on people's backyards and windows?

Tell that to the people in Uptown, the galleria, the med center, Upper Kirby, The museum district and the energy corridor.

Its what happens in a city of 6 million with no zoning. But you don't have to worry about that in West U. Your pretty insulated for now. 

Just wait until the high rises start moving down Kirby. Montrose has had high rises fronting it for the last 50 years.

• Like 3