Urbannizer

La Colombe d'Or Hotel Expanding with new Residential High-Rise

Lum, I personally love the fact that Houston has a small town feel to it, and keeps being too sophisticated in check. It's what makes it quirky... Austin's anthem applies.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

The land mass is so huge there is more than enough room for both. 

But I will admit we do need more on the sophistication end.. 

I think the south west should stay as is. To me it is the nitty gritty multicultural Houston that we know and love. 

But the inner loop should be sophisticated.  Or rather the western part of it. 

Don't be building any of that luxury stuff in the south west. That will disturb the quirky fabric. Keep that luxury in Kirby, river oaks, museum district,  midtown,  downtown.  

No necessarily a separation, but a concentration. 

I don't mind A spat of sophistication here and there,  but we need to continue focusing on the Houston H concentration of development. 

Instead of random high priced developments all over the place,  focus mainly on that red Line corridor of Downtown,  midtown,  museum district to TMC,  and west from Midtown,  Montrose, River Oaks, Upper Kirby, Greenway, Highland Village,  ROD to Post Oak AND The developments that span up and down uptown. 

Around the H should be the more upper moderate type developments in the Heights, east downtown,  Afton Oaks, ect.

The greater SW, leave as is. Couple blocks past the beltway is a while other works to me.  Crazy that the urban fabric continues for 10 plus miles in each direction

• Like 1

Do we have any information on how well the market is absorbing all the new luxury apartment inventory?  I'm happy to see these projects move forward, but wonder if the number of ultra high end projects will push the merely super high end and just "high end" into more affordable territory.

An Oklahoma fan, on another board, posted I'm in Houston, in the galleria area- does Houston have mass transit to NRG for the game tomorrow.

Well, you could have connected had they "actually" built the University and Uptown lines that were voted on and approved a decade ago...freakin geniuses that run Houston.

19 minutes ago, shasta said:

An Oklahoma fan, on another board, posted I'm in Houston, in the galleria area- does Houston have mass transit to NRG for the game tomorrow.

Well, you could have connected had they "actually" built the University and Uptown lines that were voted on and approved a decade ago...freakin geniuses that run Houston.

Could have stayed Downtown. Can Uber or take a taxi. Or if they drove they can park. Metro does have buses too.

1 hour ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Are those lines completely dead? Even the university line?

No, just stuck in development/legislation hell. Richmond has yet to have major work done on it because the city doesn't want to have to destroy it all over again for the rail. They also re-designed the University line to skip over 59 and thus out of Culberson's district. The Uptown line is being developed for buses at the moment, but there is outcry that the structure of the new bus lanes is more substantial than a bus would need - the true intention being a rail line that goes where the bus line is being built.

"more substantial than what a bus would need"

This really is the biggest problem with BRT- you do true BRT and the same people who killed the light rail complain. I support BRT, but it's way too often used as an excuse to do nothing.

On 9/2/2016 at 7:44 PM, Texasota said:

"more substantial than what a bus would need"

This really is the biggest problem with BRT- you do true BRT and the same people who killed the light rail complain. I support BRT, but it's way too often used as an excuse to do nothing.

Pretty much. Some people simply don't want mass transit upgrades of any form, especially in front of their business. So myopic, it hurts the brain.

• Like 2

I bet this one stays idle or dormant for a while. Hines has already shifted from the Menil sight and perhaps the market is just a little bit too overbuilt for right now. Does anyone have any numbers for the Hanover next door?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tolarwan said:

Got the plans to bid the lighting on this today. Showing 35 stories.....

Interesting. Seems a number of projects are showing life as folks seek to deliver when the market turns.

• Like 2

Really surprised residences from 3400 Montrose haven't sued this development. Going to destroy the view for those living or have sections located the south side.

11 hours ago, Triton said:

Really surprised residences from 3400 Montrose haven't sued this development. Going to destroy the view for those living or have sections located the south side.

That's not a cause of action you could actually sue for. You have no right to a guaranteed view.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Ross said:

That's not a cause of action you could actually sue for. You have no right to a guaranteed view.

on top of the fact that they're renters and not owners.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ross said:

I have a feeling that with high quality representation, one could find some legal standing to hold nearly any project up.

5777bbb2d82c7_screenshot_forum_skyscraperpage_com_2016_07_02_08_03_20.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, swtsig said:

on top of the fact that they're renters and not owners.

Could the facility itself sue for loss of revenue due to a good portion of the southern view being blocked by this development?

Edit: I don't know the floor plan but I would imagine less people may want to rent on the south side with this view gone. Unless these units have sections of the entire floor that includes both the north and south sides?

• Like 1

It's a different market, but the Skyhouse units that face Houston House rent for significantly less than the ones facing all the skyscrapers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triton said:

Could the facility itself sue for loss of revenue due to a good portion of the southern view being blocked by this development?

Edit: I don't know the floor plan but I would imagine less people may want to rent on the south side with this view gone. Unless these units have sections of the entire floor that includes both the north and south sides?

Of course the facility can sue, but such a suit would almost certainly be unsuccessful.   As was mentioned above, there is no property right in a view.

• Like 1

My source is the owner of La Columbe D'Or Hotel. He also showed me a concept of what the new residential high rise will look like. 

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cityliving said:

My source is the owner of La Columbe D'Or Hotel. He also showed me a concept of what the new residential high rise will look like. 

Details on the design?

18 hours ago, cityliving said:

Does it look anything like the original rendering I posted?

• Like 1

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/12/20/barringer-bar-to-close-as-new-downtown-mixed-use.html

The Zimmerman family is working on another project to build a luxury apartment tower. It's the Zimmermans’ first foray into multifamily, and they have partnered with Hines Interests Ltd. to develop the Residences at La Colombe d’Or, a 34-story, 285-unit luxury apartment tower on the back of their boutique hotel. The project should be completed in 2020. When finished, the Residences at La Colombe d’Or will connect to the hotel through an art gallery and outdoor plaza with fireplace. The Zimmermans also plan to execute a $10 million renovation and expansion of the hotel.

• Like 6

So this highrise will be right next door to the Hanover Tower, right? That'll look kinda strange I think.

6 hours ago, wxman said:

So this highrise will be right next door to the Hanover Tower, right? That'll look kinda strange I think.

The grouping of the SkyHouse, Arabella, and Wilshire by Uptown is the closest thing I can think of. This will be toward the back of the property, and the Hanover as I recall does not extend along the full length of its lot, so there will be a slight offset between these two.

• Like 4

The block will be like this...

HANOVER TOWER     La Colombe Hotel

townhomes            NEW TOWER

• Like 9

http://www.chron.com/life/home/design/article/Highrise-apartments-will-replace-La-Colombe-d-Or-12529317.php#photo-14947399

The historic ballroom of Montrose Boulevard's boutique hotel La Colombe d'Or will see its last waltz at a private party this weekend.

Le Grand Salon de la Comtesse, an 18th-century Rococo room with walls of English oak paneling, gild-ed-frame mirrors and grand chandeliers.

The salon is named for the French-Belgian princess La Comtesse Elisabeth Greffulhe, who is immortal-ized as a character in Marcel Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past."

Oil tycoon John Mecom Sr. brought the 45x65 feet room over in pieces in the 1960s. His son sold it to Houston businessman Steve Zimmerman in the 1990s, who ensconced it in a stucco building adjacent to his hotel and restaurant. Starting Monday, it will be dismantled and stored to make way for a new 34-story luxury apartment building.

What will happen to the old ballroom?

The Zimmerman family is partnering with the global developer Hines and TH Real Estate to build the Residences a La Colombe d'Or, on the spot where the ballroom building currently sits.

But La Colombe d'Or will stay at 3410 Montrose. Zimmerman will continue to operate the hotel, which will get a $10 mil-lion makeover and a restaurant upgrade.

Residents and hotel guests in both buildings will share a slew of luxury amenities, including the tower's 10th-level swimming pool and the courtyard's sculptures, fountains and an outdoor fireplace.

Hines tried to be as sensitive as possible to the property's historical asset, said Kevin Batchelor, senior managing director for Hines' southwest region. "The alternative would be to tear it down and build a bigger, clunkier building. Instead of using every square inch of land, we reduced the footprint and went slightly taller, but left room for parks, which enhances the connectivity."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Timoric said:

100 high rises in the Galleria Area by 20xx?

This isn’t the Galleria area....

Edited by kbates2
  • Like 1

Montrose is going to be high rise boulevard with its location to the park and the museums and the location between downtown and the med center.

Hopefully they are still working on plans to rebuild Montrose with new sidewalks, signage, and lighting to make it into a grand boulevard!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Montrose is going to be high rise boulevard with its location to the park and the museums and the location between downtown and the med center.

Hopefully they are still working on plans to rebuild Montrose with new sidewalks, signage, and lighting to make it into a grand boulevard!

Oh so there are plans to do that? I always wonder about that

19 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

Doubt that will happen anytime soon.  They can't even keep the lights on

I've read how the business owners feel like their money has gone to waste. I see their side because I always wonder why the district doesn't focus on the main boulevard and new sidewalks, etc. On the other hand I hate how this city drops the ball when it comes to drawing attention to itself. Those lights added to our city. So whether or not the MMD or the business owners agree or not, the city should find a way to fund this regardless. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Timoric said:

100 high rises in the Galleria Area by 20xx?

Uptown already has over 100 highrises (buildings with 10 or more floors). I did the count myself in 2013 and at that time there were 117 in just Uptown alone. 

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bobruss said:

We better all be hoping the Montrose Management District not only survives, but achieves a consensus on project moving forward. It is ridiculous they have gotten so much negative press with our community not supporting their efforts to improve the area

• Like 2

I just read that Mayor Turner is devoted to making sure those lights come back on. He even offered his won campaign money to help until a resolution is made. 

• Like 1