HAIF - Houston's original social media

La Colombe d'Or Hotel Expanding with new Residential High-Rise

the portion of the tower that has the name on it perhaps should have been done in the same brick/brick color as the original building tying them together better maybe? i think that is the only thing bothering my mild OCD haha...

• Like 1
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, jmitch94 said:

God I dream of making as much money as this apartment costs. I just cant imagine spending that amount while building zero equity.  

It's an entirely different world for their clientele I guess.

I was just looking out my window, and realized their penthouse must have the best views in the city, bar none right now. Skylines wherever you look.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

God I dream of making as much money as this apartment costs. I just cant imagine spending that amount while building zero equity.  

you're discounting the amount of debt, maintenance and upkeep owning a home requires. pay rent, live where you want, and take that down payment and invest it. doesn't work for everyone but it definitely works for a lot of people.

• Like 3

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/10/22/la-colombe-dor-hotel-opens-new-restaurant.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_HO&csrc=6398&taid=5f97a9624f48e300011f5911&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

VpuJKLD0?format=jpg&name=small

La Colombe d'Or Hotel in Montrose to reopen in winter with new restaurant, bar

La Colombe d’Or Hotel will reopen with a new restaurant and bar this winter. 

The luxury hotel will open Tonight & Tomorrow, a full-service restaurant, alongside The Bar, which will also serve small plates, light breakfast and coffee, according to a press release. Both the boutique Montrose hotel, at 3410 Montrose Blvd., and its former restaurant, Cinq, have been closed since the end of 2018 for a transformation project.

“La Colombe d’Or Hotel has served as a refined culinary and cocktail destination for guests and locals of the city of Houston for nearly four decades,” said Dan Zimmerman, president of NewForm Real Estate. The Zimmermans own La Colombe d’Or. 

“With hotel renovations nearing completion later this winter, we are excited to bring a new food and beverage program to life that reflects the energy of our neighborhood and our new hospitality experience,” he added.

Tonight & Tomorrow will serve “fresh twists on classic dishes,” the release stated, with items like gravlax carpaccio and stuffed quail with boudin, greens and pickled mustard seed. A lunch menu will have salads, entrees and sandwiches. The beverage menu will include craft cocktails and international wines. 

The Bar will have classic and seasonal cocktails in its full-service roster. 

Jonathan Wicks, formerly of InterContinental Hotels & Resorts and Hotel ZaZa, will be executive chef at La Colombe D’Or’s food and beverage program. That means he’s also in charge of room service and poolside food and drink orders. 

“Tonight & Tomorrow and The Bar at La Colombe d’Or will become iconic destinations for not only guests of our hotel but locals living in Montrose and surrounding neighborhoods,” Zimmerman said. “Chef Jonathan Wicks brings a tremendous amount of experience and has put together a menu that celebrates the unique culture and flavors found in our city.”

Both will have indoor and outdoor seating options. 

The hotel was built in 1936 as the Fondren Mansion and is undergoing a $10 million, to-the-studs renovation to update the nearly 100-year-old building. 

The project is a joint venture between Houston-based Hines and the Zimmerman family.

The mansion, which has been classified as a historical landmark, is being renovated to emphasize its 1930s past and to expand the restaurant and bar space. The updates include restoring the original parquet flooring and woodwork, windows and green-glazed Ludowici roof tile. Suites in the mansion will have all-new lighting, bathrooms and cooling and heating systems.

Just behind the mansion, the joint venture is building a 34-story multifamily tower. The hotel will offer 18 suites on the lower level of the $140 million multifamily building, at 3411 Yoakum Blvd.

Houston-based Rottet Studio handled the design for the project. Hines affiliate contractor Urban Oaks Builders served as general contractor.

• Like 2
On 10/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, jmitch94 said:

Owning makes sense if you intend on living in some place for at least 7 years.  The transaction costs in and out, and the fluctuations in the market , make short term ownership risky and expensive.  If you are a consultant, lawyer, investment banker  or corporate professional and your career path includes moving from office to office or moving from one employer to another, potentially in another city, then ownership isn't that desirable. 

• Like 1