La Colombe d'Or Hotel At 3410 Montrose Blvd.

Urbannizer

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a very dumb question for construction folks, but do different companies have different colored (and/or sized) cranes? You would think if they were interchangeable there would be an instance where one would see a crane with some different colored segments after being jumped but I’ve literally never seen that, so I’m guessing there must be some sort of color differentiation among companies. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

The parts aren't interchangeable. The yellow cranes you see are Liebherr, blues are usually Heede's Linden Comansa, grayish white ones tend to be Terex. Potain tower cranes may vary in color but usually red. And if a company buys enough of them they can be painted whatever color they want. I've seen a lime green Liebherr.

Thanks! Appreciate the great info

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 2:19 PM, hindesky said:

The parts aren't interchangeable. The yellow cranes you see are Liebherr, blues are usually Heede's Linden Comansa, grayish white ones tend to be Terex. Potain tower cranes may vary in color but usually red. And if a company buys enough of them they can be painted whatever color they want. I've seen a lime green Liebherr.

https://www.liebherr.com/en/usa/products/construction-machines/tower-cranes/tower-cranes.html

http://www.heedesoutheast.com

https://www.terex.com/cranes/en/products/tower-cranes

https://www.manitowoccranes.com/en/cranes/potain

Also worth noting: Liebherr cranes tend to be distributed by Morrow Equipment, similar to how Heede provides the Linden ones. Liebherr/Morrow tend to show up a ton down here, especially on the highrise and larger scale projects. I know that Morrow has a yard down Cullen near Almeda-Genoa. Only reason I know that is because years ago I saw the tops of three or four tower cranes rising above that area and I wasn't aware of a specific project there - just found the yard in the process. I guess they are the demo models that could be used.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bobruss said:

I took the Victoria exit off of 288, coming north, just before downtown . I haven't done that in a while and It's always fun to be up there and check on the skyline, and I'm not talking downtown but the overall skyline that spreads west and southwest from downtown to Transco tower, Galleria. I first noticed how the new towers in midtown have made a huge leap towards the Museum district med center, but what is really amazing is how much is in that same view. I wish that one of our drone guys would film this angle because its almost overwhelming. Its like the whole Montrose, Upper Kirby, Museum district, Greenway plaza River Oaks district, Galleria Uptown have finally reached a point where its all starting to look like one continuous skyline. There are so many new high-rises sprouting all over this area. It reminds me of waking up on a damp cool morning and seeing hundreds of mushrooms appear overnight. And what's even more exciting is there are probably ten high-rises proposed or just starting to come out of the ground that will make this an even more unified place.

t'ts so large and spread out, that I don't even have a word to describe it, because I don't know of another city that has such a wide playing field. Maybe a smaller version would be Dallas but it doesn't compare to the magnitude and connectivity of space..

Oh and by the way the new Hines La Colombe d'Or and the Hanover Montrose really look great together and it looks like the new one has just passed the Hanover in height.

There are so many buildings going up its hard to find and drive the curve of the Victoria exit. I had to look hard to see the new Hanover River Oaks and didn't see the West Gray tower going up. 

Too much to see and to big a curve to keep looking if you know what I mean.

Come on drone guys give us a look see, please.

I totally agree bobruss. It is one of the best skyline views in the United States.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, hindesky said:

It looks like the eastern part my be topped out, don't see any rebar poking up but there is some on the western portion.

nghQsbE.jpg

wow, this one went up extremely fast, almost as fast as Capitol Tower (Bank of America Tower) !!  incredible.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

View from Mid Main tonight. The new Hanover on the left’s also looking good. Anybody know the ID of the new construction in the background on the right? It’s small in this photo but I’ve been watching it start to rise above the tree line over the past weeks. 

4FCD5BB2-6E30-4966-B50E-455B6E4FF8FE.jpeg

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Plokij said:

Anybody know the ID of the new construction in the background on the right? It’s small in this photo but I’ve been watching it start to rise above the tree line over the past weeks. 

I think that's The Montrose at Buffalo Bayou.
edit: Welcome to HAIF, Plokij!

Edited by dbigtex56
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Plokij said:

View from Mid Main tonight. The new Hanover on the left’s also looking good. Anybody know the ID of the new construction in the background on the right? It’s small in this photo but I’ve been watching it start to rise above the tree line over the past weeks. 

4FCD5BB2-6E30-4966-B50E-455B6E4FF8FE.jpeg

Looks like The Driscoll going up on W.Gray to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1