I don't really see an issue with the location.  Aside from people at the school and an occasional jogger, this isn't a foot-traffic area (especially since Crescent City left).

I went to a wedding at St. John the Divine that had a reception at Bammel... nobody walked.  And that's three blocks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way, retail or shops should be facing the major corridors (Westheimer and Kirby). Yes, this development doesn't meet an urban standard, you just want the sidewalk to be at least 6 feet.  I really hate West Ave because it has horrible street interaction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just drove by on my way to check on my Mom. The lot is being cleared. Looks like they're moving those bungalows somewhere.

I never had doubts on this one. This guy (developer) knows what he's doing and this location is top notch (basically the end of River Oaks Blvd).

http://swamplot.com/small-flock-of-bungalows-getting-shepherded-around-at-bammel-ln-highrise-site/2017-05-22/

THE POINTY glass Gardens of Bammel Lane conservatory isn’t the only structure on the block southeast of Bammel Ln. andEarl St. getting picked up and hauled elsewhere as part of the block’s cleanout for the 26-story Villa Borghese condo highrise. A handful of Cherry House Moving trailers were spotted on the site this weekend, hanging around and under several of the bungalows on the block

2801-bammel-ln-house-moving-2.jpg

A listing for $3.3M popped up on HAR too

http://www.har.com/2855-bammel-1401/sale_64424452

Priced ''to-the-white'' with walls & ceilings, finishes not included. 26 stories, 2 residences per floor, each with private elevator lobby. Floorplans from 3,930 to 9,640 SF. Create floorplan and customize finishes or choose from builder selections. Selling slab, to-the-white or finished. 24-hour valet, concierge and manned guard house. Heated pool, formal gardens, pet park, fitness facility with steam showers, card room & party room with caterer's kitchen. Ground breaking anticipated Fall 2017.

hr4043706-8.jpg?ts=2017-03-11T18:28:40.1

• 3 weeks later...

I could see this coming. The sad thing about it is they are taking away all of the bungalows and the businesses are gone.

For what? A big fat vacant lot. There was such a nice bohemian feel to the area, and now it will just be crickets.

19 minutes ago, Fortune said:

If the oil market ever goes back up this will be built.

As a HAIFer/urban development aficionado, I like the height, but everything else always seemed wrong. If it was a block north and the tower was on the north side of the block, fronting Westheimer, with a garage wrapped in townhouses, it would be a lot better IMO.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I am a little confused by the use of the Borghese name. The house of Borghese is one of the oldest in Europe.  Is this company associated with the family or can anyone use the name? 

No association with the family, the developer of the now-cancelled condo high-rise is Italian. 

Georgia Borlenghi, is a well known, longtime Houston, specifically Uptown Galleria  developer.

He first developed the Cesar Pelli Four Leaf Towers, then added the office  development Four Oaks Place clustered on Post Oak with their matching roofs with the four Leaf Towers. I also like how he played the blue of the office towers off off the terra cotta colored Four Leaf Towers

Followed up with the Belfiore, Montebello, and Villa D Este condominiums. During that time frame he also developed the Granduca Hotel.

He's had a successful run in Houston and been a leader in shaping the Uptown area. 

I hope he has the chance to build this project. I have always liked the Four Leaf Towers and especially the Beverly Pepper sculpture in front of them.

Archived