HAIF - Houston's original social media

2807 Bammel Lane (formely Bammel Gardens): Proposed Multifamily Building

So, I just heard from someone this afternoon that the entire block bounded by Bammel, Sackett, Earl and Philfall is under contract with Borlenghi.  No confirmation if that is who actually has it under contract (I hope so) but supposedly the tenants have until the end of the year to vacate.  This is the block of bungalows that have been used for years as offices.  Would be a great location for a highrise.  Can someone confirm?

County Clerk records show the entire block sold in July 2015 with a note of $5.7M.  

GBL was created right before closing.  

GBL DEVELOPERS LLC
Texas Taxpayer Number 32057788815
Mailing Address 1400 POST OAK BLVD STE 150 HOUSTON, TX 77056-6009
Right to Transact Business in Texas ACTIVE
State of Formation TX
Effective SOS Registration Date 07/15/2015
Texas SOS File Number 0802253823
Registered Agent Name GIORGIO BORLENGHI
Registered Office Street Address 1400 POST OAK BLVD, SUITE 150 HOUSTON, TX 77056

You'll have to register/login to see the doc:  http://www.cclerk.hctx.net/applications/websearch/EComm/ViewEdocs.aspx?ID=wGLQNx7kz6ZWN3cIrd0j7F9APFxndJBGE9a9XSB1YssbATBKpBF8OqYS1Kq0epoU0FjUBhmNzrbMfd54Kc74i88yeWeAWPmkQXtTzqoSdh3CfFCy0wc7KX76I0H5NUGOMNx+XSZGOxf4gCkKnmz3rw==

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/08/24/houston-developer-plans-new-luxury-condo-tower-in.html

Borlenghi, the founder of Houston-based The Interfin Cos., purchased the property last year for an undisclosed price. Currently, there are about 20 older homes on the site, all commercial businesses ranging from a restaurant, hairdresser, doctor’s office and shops. Most of the homes will be moved to new locations around town, Borlenghi said.

42 minutes ago, UrbanEnthusiast713 said:

Surely it's underground! Touch of class unlike most of the condos being built around town 

Four leafs is underground. I guess only multi million dollar units get underground parking.

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

Well, this is absolutely terrible in terms of its street frontage. It's a fence surrounding a driveway surrounding a tower for the wealthy. It's a suburban design replacing a charming, unique block of businesses. 

Since its not on a major road I'm not upset about it. The single family homes to the south will probably be there forever so it's not a major negative impact on the street scene.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Texasota said:

Well, this is absolutely terrible in terms of its street frontage. It's a fence surrounding a driveway surrounding a tower for the wealthy. It's a suburban design replacing a charming, unique block of businesses. 

true but this isn't even on a major thoroughfare so what difference does it make? this is literally plopped down in the middle of a residential area - it's not like there was a great deal of pedestrian activity although losing the neat businesses there is somewhat of a loss. had this been on westheimer i would feel differently but it isn't.

edit: this block was actually under contract to the morgan group a few years back but they backed out.

Edited by swtsig
  • Like 2

I don't really see an issue with the location.  Aside from people at the school and an occasional jogger, this isn't a foot-traffic area (especially since Crescent City left).

I went to a wedding at St. John the Divine that had a reception at Bammel... nobody walked.  And that's three blocks.

• Like 1

And we can either reinforce the status quo or we can push for improvement. This is not the most pedestrian-friendly area in the city, but it's a long way from the worst. It has serious potential, and this does nothing to build on that potential. 

• Like 1

Either way, retail or shops should be facing the major corridors (Westheimer and Kirby). Yes, this development doesn't meet an urban standard, you just want the sidewalk to be at least 6 feet.  I really hate West Ave because it has horrible street interaction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just drove by on my way to check on my Mom. The lot is being cleared. Looks like they're moving those bungalows somewhere.

I never had doubts on this one. This guy (developer) knows what he's doing and this location is top notch (basically the end of River Oaks Blvd).

• Like 4

http://swamplot.com/small-flock-of-bungalows-getting-shepherded-around-at-bammel-ln-highrise-site/2017-05-22/

THE POINTY glass Gardens of Bammel Lane conservatory isn’t the only structure on the block southeast of Bammel Ln. andEarl St. getting picked up and hauled elsewhere as part of the block’s cleanout for the 26-story Villa Borghese condo highrise. A handful of Cherry House Moving trailers were spotted on the site this weekend, hanging around and under several of the bungalows on the block

2801-bammel-ln-house-moving-2.jpg

A listing for $3.3M popped up on HAR too

http://www.har.com/2855-bammel-1401/sale_64424452

Priced ''to-the-white'' with walls & ceilings, finishes not included. 26 stories, 2 residences per floor, each with private elevator lobby. Floorplans from 3,930 to 9,640 SF. Create floorplan and customize finishes or choose from builder selections. Selling slab, to-the-white or finished. 24-hour valet, concierge and manned guard house. Heated pool, formal gardens, pet park, fitness facility with steam showers, card room & party room with caterer's kitchen. Ground breaking anticipated Fall 2017.

hr4043706-8.jpg?ts=2017-03-11T18:28:40.1

Edited by AREJAY
  • Like 8
  • 3 weeks later...

I could see this coming. The sad thing about it is they are taking away all of the bungalows and the businesses are gone.

For what? A big fat vacant lot. There was such a nice bohemian feel to the area, and now it will just be crickets.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Fortune said:

If the oil market ever goes back up this will be built.

As a HAIFer/urban development aficionado, I like the height, but everything else always seemed wrong. If it was a block north and the tower was on the north side of the block, fronting Westheimer, with a garage wrapped in townhouses, it would be a lot better IMO.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...