The Maple Leaf Pub At 514 Elgin St.

midtown 4.2

Yeah, after all, I think that part of Midtown is called "Courtlandt Square". After all, that's the full name of the Calais- "The Calais at Courtlandt Square".

They really should have gone all the way with the Calais design, though. I've seen some of the earlier renderings, and they really crapped out on the final design.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Calais sits atop what used to be the centerpiece of the "French Quarter" area of Midtown. There were several buildings which took that theme in the 60's or 70's. Brennan's may have been the inspiration; not sure. The block bounded by Louisiana, Smith, Stuart and Elgin featured buildings built around a central courtyard with a fountain. They were demolished about three years ago to construct The Calais, which also attempts a French Quarter theme (how well they succeeded is a matter of personal taste).

Courtlandt Square is a reference to Courtlandt Place, which is a gated St. Louis style enclave accessable only off Bagby (west of Spur 527). It's designated as one of Houston's few historic districts. Per the 1913 map of Houston, Stuart St. ended at the entrance of Courtlandt Place, prior to construction of the spur.

btw, the residents bought the street (Courtlandt Place) from the city of Houston several years ago; it's privately owned, and not accessible to the public. Supposedly. ;)

Edited by dbigtex56

cool info.

I'm going to have pass by the Courtland Place area and see if it reminds me of New Orleans.

Courtlandt Place more closely resembles neighborhoods in the West End of St. Louis than anywhere I'm aware of in New Orleans (it was designed by a St. Louis architect). Although it's gated, you can catch a glimpse through either the Bagby St. gates or the fence on the Taft St side (at the end of Lovett Blvd.)

As you mentioned in an earlier post, the wide streets in Houston just don't lend themselves to the ambience of the French Quarter. However, the closest to it is along the Smith St side of Brennan's. Gas lights, a brick-walled courtyard with an iron gate, and the odors of delicious food mixed with the smell of stale cigarette butts and spilled drinks... B)

• 5 weeks later...

Isn't that the Maple Leaf Pub?

I don't know anything about it, other than there is (was) one in NOLA. The boyfriend of a friend in NOLA loved the place. Our friend said the one in NOLA was a dive, but knowing her definition of dive, it probably doesn't jive with my definition. From the outside, and based on its location in the (high-rent) Midtown area, I think it'll be on the upscale side.

Personally I'm also suspicious of the name...sounds like it caters to Canooks. Probably nothing but NHL re-runs on the tube there. Maybe some old Expos baseball if you're lucky.

Unless they serve $2.00 (or less) Lone Stars, count me out.

• 1 month later...
I live right there in the Calais. I've watched the progression, and I'm anxious to see what kind of businesses go in there (other than the Nextel store).

I live at the Calais as well...I was very disappointed to see a "nextel" store go up. That is very ghetto!

Isn't that the Maple Leaf Pub?

Personally I'm also suspicious of the name...sounds like it caters to Canooks. Probably nothing but NHL re-runs on the tube there. Maybe some old Expos baseball if you're lucky.

Unless they serve $2.00 (or less) Lone Stars, count me out.

My friend is Canadian and knows the owner of this bar. He said it will mainly be a Canuck bar showing all hockey games and Canadian football. I'm sure they will telivise American events too.

I think this is a great idea, just like some of the British pubs around here.

Getting a Nextel store may not be as bad as you think.

In some markets the Nextel and Sprint stores are being kept separate, with Nextel being marketed to businesses and young professionals while Sprint targets teens and pay-as-you-go-in-the-ghetto (i.e. "Where you at?" "Umm... in school, learning grammar.")

• 1 month later...
yeah, he did a great job of showing how retail can be developed and still lease up.

514Elgin2.jpg

Sorry that I can't post a picture, but it's time for a reality check.

The finished structure bears only a passing resemblance to this rendering. It's been 'dumbed-down' considerably, and many of the details that made this project exciting didn't make it off the drawing board.

While it's certainly better than some other developments that have gone up in the neighborhood, my enthusiasm for it has cooled off by several degrees.

It's OK. Not great.

• 3 weeks later...
My friend is Canadian and knows the owner of this bar. He said it will mainly be a Canuck bar showing all hockey games and Canadian football. I'm sure they will telivise American events too.

I think this is a great idea, just like some of the British pubs around here.

so what's the status of the Maple Leaf? drove by the other day and it doesn't look close to being ready to open. any one know what's up?

so what's the status of the Maple Leaf? drove by the other day and it doesn't look close to being ready to open. any one know what's up?

I too drove by the other day and did notice a couple of workers inside doing something. Very excited to have another bar a bit closer to the house.

Edited by groovehouse

I too drove by the other day and did notice a couple of workers inside doing something. Very excited to have another bar a bit closer to the house.

Wish I could share your enthusiasm, neighbor.

Any reference to Maple Leaf has been removed, and I see nothing promoting this corner, currently. The application for a liquor license has been removed from the window. There's no "Opening Soon" signs about the place.

Alas.

signed,

Debbie Downer

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry that I can't post a picture, but it's time for a reality check.

The finished structure bears only a passing resemblance to this rendering. It's been 'dumbed-down' considerably, and many of the details that made this project exciting didn't make it off the drawing board.

While it's certainly better than some other developments that have gone up in the neighborhood, my enthusiasm for it has cooled off by several degrees.

It's OK. Not great.

Can someone post some pictures of this place? For those of us who are not there.

Appreciate it

:D

Sorry guys, The Maple Leaf Pub is still on the way. My workers tore down the coming soon signs and application for liquor license. WE WILL BE UP AND RUNNING IN A VERY SHORT TIME.

Welcome to HAIF, and thanks for clearing that up. Hope it's a success.

Do you have a projected opening date? Any discounts for HAIF members? :D

Sorry guys, The Maple Leaf Pub is still on the way. My workers tore down the coming soon signs and application for liquor license. WE WILL BE UP AND RUNNING IN A VERY SHORT TIME.

great to hear. definitely keep us posted, i'll be out there with a bunch of my heavy drinking hockey buddies.

WE WILL BE UP AND RUNNING IN A VERY SHORT TIME.

I had a friend who was hoping you guys would have lots of hockey. I am just happy to have a place with a full bar that's closer to my residence. Looking forward to the Maple Leaf Pub!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
nice - i see through the windows while driving by lately some good progress has been made getting it ready. look forward to checking it out.

It's open now... they had a party on Friday and Saturday nights with free beer. My friend stopped by around 1 AM Saturday night and said it was a very laid back neighborhood-type bar.