The Maple Leaf Pub At 514 Elgin St.

midtown 4.2

Kudos to the developer that is opening up a small retail center on Westheimer @ Smith (next to the Calais). Looks like they are placing the parking behind the building, and pushing retail up to the street. Can't vouch for the architectural design yet, but I must applaud the site design. Let's hope this will serve as a cornerstone for other Midtown development. We complain about bad development, let's not forget to praise the good stuff too.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the rendering, HoustonRetail.

In addition to the discreet parking, I also applaud that the design takes cues from the 1920s-30s storefronts in Midtown. Here's hoping that other developers follow this example. Some continuity of architectural style would make Midtown seem more like a 'real' neighborhood, instead of a mish-mash of unrelated development.

Thanks for the rendering, HoustonRetail.

In addition to the discreet parking, I also applaud that the design takes cues from the 1920s-30s storefronts in Midtown. Here's hoping that other developers follow this example. Some continuity of architectural style would make Midtown seem more like a 'real' neighborhood, instead of a mish-mash of unrelated development.

what a suburban thought dbigtex, "continuity of architectural style..."? ..."a 'real' neighborhood"? come on, i thought it was diversity, old and new, contrasting structures that created a 'real' urban fabric. ;)

actually, i agree somewhat. the statement you made seems to contradict what many people love about being in an urban environment. i do prefer that an architect consider the neighborhood before designing; however, i'm really sick of red brick here in suburbia.

I don't know if continuity of style that makes an urban fabric as much as a continuity of scale, placement relative to the street, and consistent density. There can be a lot of variety in styles that still fit within an overall design framework that create an urban fabric. Just look at all the buildings on the north side of Main St. There is a huge variety of styles, but they work pretty well together.

what a suburban thought dbigtex,  "continuity of architectural style..."?  ..."a 'real' neighborhood"?  come on, i thought it was diversity, old and new, contrasting structures that created a 'real' urban fabric.  ;)

actually, i agree somewhat.  the statement you made seems to contradict what many people love about being in an urban environment.  i do prefer that an architect consider the neighborhood before designing; however, i'm really sick of red brick here in suburbia.

hehe! You keep me honest, bachanon.

No, I'm not suggesting that we should emulate that "Little Pink Houses" song by John Midtown Cougar Mellencamp. The suburban dictate that all structures should look exactly the same is anathema to me. I sure don't want the Doormat Police showing up at my door (...especially tonight. My cat just coughed up a hairball on my welcome mat. Talk about your mixed message).

On the other hand, there are still reminants of what Midtown once was, and some beauty, in my eyes. There's some history here, and I'm glad these developers are aware of it. I agree with Subdude about continuity of scale (and situation). If this corner had been developed as another mindless 'safe' development, a strip center with parking in the front, it would detract rather than add to the neighborhood.

It's sympathetic. I can walk past it without wanting to spit.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this project?

They were going great guns for a while - concrete for the slab and the parking lot has been poured - but the only thing I've seen happening on that corner in the past month+ is some digging by the street (storm sewers, perhaps?)

Seems to be taking a while for the structure to go up.

what a suburban thought dbigtex,  "continuity of architectural style..."?  ..."a 'real' neighborhood"?  come on, i thought it was diversity, old and new, contrasting structures that created a 'real' urban fabric.  ;)

actually, i agree somewhat.  the statement you made seems to contradict what many people love about being in an urban environment.  i do prefer that an architect consider the neighborhood before designing; however, i'm really sick of red brick here in suburbia.

I'm sure the continuous iron work in NYC's SoHo was considered too new and mabye lacked character, back when it first came on line. But look at it now...its a real gem of a particular era. Maybe in timeour main stream will be looked upon as interesting history. Who knows. I particularly love all those aluminum looking 2 and 3 story strutures popping up in Midtown and other areas. Whats that callled anyways? Does anyone have any information on when that style began? I seem to recall that Houston had something to do with creating that style. Is this true?

• 4 weeks later...
Any updates on this project?

They were going great guns for a while - concrete for the slab and the parking lot has been poured - but the only thing I've seen happening on that corner in the past month+ is some digging by the street (storm sewers, perhaps?)

Seems to be taking a while for the structure to go up.

Looks like they're back at it dbigtex56...drove by today and noticed quite a few people at work...the framework is up! Good news...i was worried about the slowdown.

• 7 months later...

Looks like this building is nearing completion. A cellular phone company has opened in the westernmost space.

The corner unit (Smith at Elgin) has a notice posted in the window that application has been made for a liquor permit for a club dba The Maple Leaf Pub.

Anyone know more about it? Does it cater to Canadians? :P

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Houston could have some attractive mx-used projects like the Addison Circle in Dallas.THe project have parking garages but you won't see it.It just look like an peaceful urban oasis with park, shopping,condos .The projects like this would be perfect for mid-town

DSCN5133.jpg

DSCN5128.jpg

DSCN5111.jpg

DSCN5110.jpg

i think you are thinking about the area over by Brennan's restaurant (3300 Smith).

down the 59 downtown spur.

I don't know, the Calais may be part of it too, with the French name and all and the design with all the colors of The French Quarter. Also isn't the Le Maison Rouge (Don't know if I am spelling this right) near the Calais. The rendering of the center has the design also.

There are several areas that have some of the similarities of the French Quarter, but the big difference is that Houston has much larger streets.

French Quarter streets are minimal will room for parking on one side and driving on the other. Some may be three cars wide. The is also true throughout the many older parts of New Orleans.