So I Met An Evacuee From New Orleans Yesterdat

ToolMan

I was at the Flying Suacer and noticed this lady at the bar drinking a beer and watching the Stros game. She was kind of cute and I started talking to her - I found out her company is temporarily relocated to dowtown Houston from New Orleans.

She was amazed how the city was. When she first told people she was going to Houston all of her friends said it would be horrible - nothing but concrete, hot, with a boring downtown. She was said Houston is totally misunderstood and is bringing her family down for a vacation here when she gets a chance. She thought downtown was great and everyone in Houston was very friendly - she just loved the area. She also said Houston is generous to everyone from LA and is very thankfull. I told her it just wasn't NO people, people in Houston are friendly to everyone.

She also said NO itself was not underwater, it is mainly the suburbs. She went on saying that the people with money will rebuild. Not to be selfish, but I think in a couple of months I should go over there and start buying strip malls and other vacated buildings (she told me to). I think a profit could be made pretty easily.

She left after the ball game and thanked me and Houston for all of our generosity - I said no problem and tried to pay her bar tab, but she wouldn't let me.

I went down to the U of H admissions office to see if I could take a class or two next semester as a "transient" student (or maybe audit something this semester, if it wasn't too late). When I got to the Cullen building there were all these kids sitting in chairs lined up against the hallway walls and people were rushing about, directing other people in an authoritative manner. There were signs taped to the walls saying something about katrina. I went into the office and was about to ask for some info when the lady looked me up and down and said "Are you from Louisiana?" I said "Uh...no...er..." and then she glowered at me. At that point I figured I should just leave, since I didn't want to seem insensitive to the plight of the hurricane transplants (though I would have been down there asking around anyway even if there hadn't been a hurricane).

But then as I was driving home I figured that, hey, if having to find a place to take college classes for one semester is the biggest problem in those kids' lives, they've got it pretty good. There sure were a lot of Infiniti/Lexus/BMW SUVs with Louisiana license plates in the U of H parking lot (and driving reeeeallly slow down the street). It's not like they were the ones trapped in front of the Superdome or in the convention center.

So now I'm wondering: should i go back and try again at the risk of seeming insensitive? Or would I come across as a total ass?

I'd go back and try again, and I don't see how trying has anything to do with being insensitive to Louisiana students.

Regardless of where you are from, if a university has an empty desk, they'll take your money and let you sit in it. And who is to say that any of the people you saw are interested in taking the same classes you want to take?

Archived