Dead Zone #2

Traveling East bound on I-10 from Katy is a plesent drive, if Traffic isn't a nightmare. But once you get past downtown, it gets ugly. Its what I call "Dead Zone #2" Dead Zone #1 being I-45 North bound from the 610 Loop to Aldine (Greenspoint). These are the areas, we don't want to show guests. But they are vital to Houston. Expecially Dead Zone #2. It goes to Baytown, Crosby, La Porte, and the Ship Channel. Its our Industrial area, the main source of our famous pollution. Why does driving threw there make me think its 1975?

It's an industrial area with factories, warehouses, refineries and the like. It's the spine of the working class community. It's a great reason why Houston is one of the largest cities on the continent. Heavy industry isn't going to look "good". It doesn't look "good" on the south side of Chicago, the east end of LA, the East Bay or what have you.

However, there are things the city could do to make the immediate area between US 59 and, say, Lockwood Drive look more presentable to the local community. I agree with that part of it.

Interestingly enough, exiting at Uvalde or Maxey Road and then north will take you to some neighborhoods that look about as new as anything in the 'burbs and they're predominately latino or African-American neighborhoods. That's what's weird and lovable about Houston, IMO... things just come up and slap you in the head, even if you've lived here for a decade or more.

• 1 year later...
It's an industrial area with factories, warehouses, refineries and the like. It's the spine of the working class community. It's a great reason why Houston is one of the largest cities on the continent. Heavy industry isn't going to look "good". It doesn't look "good" on the south side of Chicago, the east end of LA, the East Bay or what have you.

However, there are things the city could do to make the immediate area between US 59 and, say, Lockwood Drive look more presentable to the local community. I agree with that part of it.

Interestingly enough, exiting at Uvalde or Maxey Road and then north will take you to some neighborhoods that look about as new as anything in the 'burbs and they're predominately latino or African-American neighborhoods. That's what's weird and lovable about Houston, IMO... things just come up and slap you in the head, even if you've lived here for a decade or more.

Back when I lived in Houston (1962-64), my dad worked for a company named Metal Arts. He said that it was near where the Astrodome was being built. I wonder if Metal Arts is still around?

• 1 month later...

Quoted for TRUTH

Archived