Tearing Down The Superdome

editor

What I like is the Astrodome is making some repeated history. Well its making history again I shall say.

I have heard nothing but good news come out of the people who have been staying there AND the politicians who visited (Hiliary Clinton) on the news. Houston keep it up! For once we're getting some positive reaction and we're just not a city by the Gulf!

Perhaps the Superdome will come to represent the spirit of New Orleans, and that may be reason enough to save it.
I changed my mind. Knowing what I now know about what went on inside the Superdome, it should be blown up as soon as possible, and with the thugs inside it that did so much carnage at the site.

ABC News reported tonight that the Superdome might have to be torn down and rebuilt. 

That seems crazy to me. The roof damage appears to be minimal and the building is otherwise structurally sound. Even if the interior needs to be gutted and redone, it would surely cost a lot less than a new covered stadium. Reliant Field cost around $500 million a few years ago ($449 million officially but there have been more costs since then) and the new Cowboys stadium is estimated at $700 million. A stadium with a fixed roof would probably cost a little less than the Cowboys stadium, but probably still over $500 million.

But if the Saints leave town permanently, there may not be a justification for spending the money to rehabilitate the facility. That could lead to a demolition scenario. I just hope it is not demolished and rebuilt at the expense of the US taxpayer.

In addition to the roof damage, the Superdome complex has stood in 4 feet of water for over a week now. These facilities usually have massive below ground infrastructure. My suspicion is that, since it will be very expensive to repair, and the Saints are crying for a new stadium, the combination is causing Louisiana to consider razing it.

The interview I saw today was the GM of the Super Dome and he was saying it was going to have to be torn down because it is no longer structually sound and because of the heavy storm and evacuee damage. According to him, the roof is more damaged than it appears on TV. Don't know if it's true... it's just what I heard. Sad.

They're also reporting that after all is said and done, Baton Rouge will be the new largest city in LA. They're expecting less than half New Orleanites to return after the city is able to take them back. But, only time will tell whether or not that comes true.

If the roof is seriously damaged on the dome, tearing it down may have to happen. The walls of the dome can't support themselves, they need the roof. It was part of the structural design. The roof is a key component to keeping the facility structurally sound. It's kind of like its achilles heel.

(source: A research paper I did in college and a separate presentation in my structures class).

ABC News reported tonight that the Superdome might have to be torn down and rebuilt.

If they don't, I think it would be pretty creepy to attend a concert or football game there knowing its recent history.

That's how I feel. I, personally, could never imagine setting foot in that dome after the murder, rape and pure horror that took place. I get chills now when I see pictures of it.

Why don't they just build a memorial?

I'm sure that is something that all the anti-bush liberals of New Orleans can agree upon.

Liberals love memorials!

"Liberals love memorials!"

Really? I didn't know that! Then why do so many conservatives insist on re-naming/naming practically everything after Ronald Reagan to the point of making it a cult?

Anyway, thanks for the info, saigon. It's people like you who keep Liberals like me on my toes [and also in stiches :lol: ]

B)

They're also reporting that after all is said and done, Baton Rouge will be the new largest city in LA. They're expecting less than half New Orleanites to return after the city is able to take them back. But, only time will tell whether or not that comes true.

This could be seriously bad news for the Crescent City.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/07/national...artner=homepage

Anastasia Loukaitou-Sideris, head of the department of urban planning at the University of California, Los Angeles, underscored the size of the problem. "If a big chunk of the population doesn't come back, it's going to be horrific for the city," she said.

UN-politically speaking.. I would think that in the interest of "re-building" that the dome would come down, if only to make way for a new one.

If Benson wants to leave New Orleans, then either way, he will. If he does, they just need to find another team.

Archived