Kanye West Comment

JJ18

Every first year Buisness Management student knows leadership comes from the top down. It's weak leadership that blames from the bottom up.

YOU'RE EXACTLY RIGHT :)

Who's the TOP leader at the City of New Orleans level? Mayor Nagin

Who's the TOP leader at the State of Louisiana level? Governor Blank-O

And of course who's the TOP leader at the Federal level? President Bush

Thank you for making my case. B)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite the little pretzel you got yourself tied in there. Your rabid Rabid Rebutal in Red a few posts back still doesn't float.

The one above is-well-just-I just don't know...I'm dumb-founded, frankly.

Oh well, I tried. Time to move on to the next Bush republican sheeple.

[Oh! And here's a smiley just for you: :wacko:

Ha Ha...I forgot-this is the funniest one:

nmainguy: BTW the mayor of NO supported the Govenor's Republican opponent. Jeebus: Yes, he did that be cause Bobby Jindal is a 1. a minority 2. a man 3. NOT BLANK-O. Surely you cn see now why he supported Jindal after watching Blank-O make her mess.

So he predicted she would screw up? Back during the election? A year ago? If he was so clairvoyant, how did he miss a cat 5?

that's one way to dissociate...

:wacko:

OPPS! One more thing:

Jeebus: Yes, he did that be cause Bobby Jindal is a 1. a minority 2. a man 3. NOT BLANK-O. Surely you cn see now why he supported Jindal after watching Blank-O make her mess.

Translation? The guy had color AND a penis! I surely can see now, Jeebus, why he supported Jindal! [and don't we always want to choose our elected officials based on genitalia and ethnicity?]

A Greyhound bus ticket to anywhere outside New Orleans is only $1o.oo dollars. Are you telling me that the 100,000 or so people that were there when Katrina hit didn't have $1o.oo dollars to their name?

That bus ticket argument has become a popular argument amongst the "defend Bush at all times, right or wrong" Talk shows. Actually I don't think Bush deserves all the blame he's been getting for the hurricane response it's just the bias of these talk shows that gets to me, but I digress. Do you really think Greyhound was even running buses the day before the hurricane? If they were do you think they could handle 100,000 people?

Jeebus-

You truly don't understand poverty if you think you'd have a hard time finding 15,000 poor white folks in a concentrated area. Some of the poorest people in America are white folks who inhabit the Appalachian Mountains in Tennessee, North Carolina, and Kentucky. Caucasians still make up the largest % of the poor in this country. Don't let your ignorance fool you.

The simple fact of the matter is Americans are totally BLINDED to poverty. We don't like to see it so we close our eyes and try to make ourselves feel better by blaming folks for being poor. We tell ourselves little myths about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps but have no comprehension of how tough that must be. We get angry at seeing the homeless out the windows of our SUVs and wish they'd just vanish between sips of double lattes.

The reality is that allowing people to live in poverty in a country as rich as our's is a MORAL issue. There's no reason we should have people who lack health care coverage or that an estimated 13 MILLION children go hungry every day. Children. I suppose they should just go out and get a job and make something of themselves.

The worst part of all of this nonsense in my opinion is that you right wingers like to pretend you occupy the moral highground. But, last time I read the Bible, the book so many of you thumpers like to point to, Jesus wasn't blaming the poor, the sick, and the disabled for their plight.

Okay.. I went to lunch to come back and find all sorts of activity!

1. Sevfiv - Sure its one way of spliting things. I would hope that you don't assume that one person or entity is responsible for the whole Katrina debacle do you?

2. NMainguy - chill out already. I had to use red or else it would have taken me an hour to disect your incorrectly formatted reply.

If you know anything about Louisiana, you would know Blank-O's history. That is what was meant by the context of my implication that Nagin new about Blank-O. Jindal is a smart man and a good leader. I can tell you that the only reason that Blank-O got elected is because she's white. Don't beleive that? PM me and I'll give you a list of roads you can travel in Louisiana where you will see KKK flags openly flown, and where ALL minorities know to stay away. Louisiana is a red-neck populated state. Its not called "Sportsman's Paradise" because that's where all the athletes like to live. Houston is nothing like the backwoods of Louisiana (and even east Texas), so please don't confuse the two.

3. West20th guy: The point of the Greyhound arguement is that even if the people of New Orleans were given ample time & transportation to leave - they wouldn't have. This is proved by all the people that refuse to leave now. Even if you bused out all the elderly, hospitalized, and the children, you still had over 100.000 people still in the city after the storm hit.

4. Kincaid: I agree with you that there is no reason that children should starve every day. I'm not blaming them, but they all had to come from somewhere. Its not like we're taking a new ship-load of refugee children in at every port once a day. These children come from adults that are too poor to take care of their children. Do you honestly think that the majority of these poor people are helpless and uncapable? If so, then where did they come from. None came over from the various exploritory nations who started colonies hundreds of years ago. None came from the native-Americans. They certainly didn't come from the last great wave of legal-immigrants during the industrial revolution. So where did they come from? They came from a government that slowly over time began to cater to the needs of those who actually needed help, and then to those who thought they needed help, and then finally to what we have today: those who are just too lazy and in turn require government assistance to live.

BTW - Don't give me the poor speech. I grew up in a 2 bedroom shack with no sub-floor, no A/C, 1 little gas heater, 1 car between my mother and father who both worked full-time jobs, and still being able to buy $100.00 dollars wother new clothes once a year right before school. Only getting a new pair of shoes once every 2 years - even when I outgrew them in the 7th, 9th, & 10th grade; and not having a real winter coat until my dad won a $200.00 scratch off lotto ticket in 8th grade. So poor we ate bologna like it was steak, and eating out at Taco-Bell was like Pappasito's to us. Vacations?

So don't preach to me about poor people. I've worked at a minimum 2 jobs at a time since I was in the 10th grade to earn everything I've got. I still have to work 3 jobs right now to afford to pay for my lifestyle, put my wife through college, and not have credit card debt.

Now I'm upset... I hate it when people take up for poor people like they really know something on the subject. You wanna know what its like to have your father get turned down for food-stamps because he makes $53.00 dollars too much a month? You wanna know what its like to fight over who gets the box fan in their room tonight? You wanna know what its like to see you father cry in private when he realizes he can't pay for the transmission to get fixed on a 10 year old car with over 200,000 miles?

Try growing up in Louisiana like I did, and then I'll let you tell me what its like to be poor. I'll also let you tell me that its okay to live like that, and that depending on the government to take care of you is hunky-dory.

Oh yeah.. for the record: I'm Independent. I voted for Bush because I felt he was the lesser of two evils. I have never supported him, but I cared less for Kerry because of his arrogance towards other Vietnam Veterans - like my father. I don't care that it's black people in New Orleans, I only care to see them evacuated and given a second chance. What frustrates me is that many of these with a second chance will throw it away just to go back to being poor so that they can depend on the government.

So to all you of any party or affiliation, you stick to your guns about poor people - since you think helping them is actually working. Whenever you get time to think about it though, ask yourself: Why is it no matter how much money we give poor people, that they still stay poor?

"..Seacrest OUT.."

Jeebus-

You truly don't understand poverty if you think you'd have a hard time finding 15,000 poor white folks in a concentrated area. Some of the poorest people in America are white folks who inhabit the Appalachian Mountains in Tennessee, North Carolina, and Kentucky. Caucasians still make up the largest % of the poor in this country. Don't let your ignorance fool you.

The simple fact of the matter is Americans are totally BLINDED to poverty. We don't like to see it so we close our eyes and try to make ourselves feel better by blaming folks for being poor. We tell ourselves little myths about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps but have no comprehension of how tough that must be. We get angry at seeing the homeless out the windows of our SUVs and wish they'd just vanish between sips of double lattes.

The reality is that allowing people to live in poverty in a country as rich as our's is a MORAL issue. There's no reason we should have people who lack health care coverage or that an estimated 13 MILLION children go hungry every day. Children. I suppose they should just go out and get a job and make something of themselves.

The worst part of all of this nonsense in my opinion is that you right wingers like to pretend you occupy the moral highground. But, last time I read the Bible, the book so many of you thumpers like to point to, Jesus wasn't blaming the poor, the sick, and the disabled for their plight.

I see your point... it's not their fault they don't apply for the free healthcare or unemployment benefits or low income benefits that the government offers to everyone.

My family was poor.. It's hard when you're poor and something goes wrong. If your car messes up, u have to choose between getting it fixed or paying the bills. You have to choose between buying ur kids things for school or paying the water or light. You either have to choose between paying one thing or another or you don't have enough money to pay for either. I remember the first time I went to seek government aid to find a job. I had quit my previous job and they asked if I wanted to receive unemployment. If you apply for the benefits, you usually get more than you need to pay for an adequate place to stay, etc. I said no..because I didn't want it and I know I didn't need it. If one constantly overspends on their budget or they don't apply for benefits.. then whose fault is it....

If you know anything about Louisiana, you would know Blank-O's history. That is what was meant by the context of my implication that Nagin new about Blank-O...

"..Seacrest OUT.."

Your juvenile tendancy to spell the Govenor of Louisianna's name "Blank-O" and your equally childish "Seacrest OUT" tends to strip you of any credibility. In fact, it put's you more in the league of a Limbaugh or a 7th grader. I'm sorry but you have twisted and turned so much in this thread, that you have become unintelligible, tedious and redundant.

Jeebus-

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

It's true that many Americans seem to have NO concept of poverty and what that truly means. Honestly, I shook my head when I read Jeebus' statement about his disbelieve in that some people don't have $10.00 to their name. It reminded me of Mayor Bill White's statement during the whole Roadside Controversy a few months ago when he said, "If you can afford to drive a car, you should be able to afford $75 for a tow". It's also very much like those who don't understand how anyone with a full time job can be poor. Totally out of touch with the realities of many in this country.

Although we as Americans have a reputation for placing ourselves in a bubble and being ignorant to the rest of the world, it is also quite evident we place ourselves in bubbles and become ignorant towards things in our own country.

Okay.. I went to lunch to come back and find all sorts of activity!

"Try growing up in Louisiana like I did, and then I'll let you tell me what its like to be poor. I'll also let you tell me that its okay to live like that, and that depending on the government to take care of you is hunky-dory."

Thanks for letting me know your history. Congrats on your achievements. That said, what government are you speaking about? The one that in the last three decades has instituted welfare reform, cut medicare, cut public housing, cut pell grants for students, slashed educational spending per capita, and even cut school lunch programs for the poor? The reality is the "government" you rugged individualists speak of hasn't existed in a long time. Additionally, if we had a living wage rather than a minimum wage, maybe far fewer people would have to rely on government assistance just to survive. It's utter lunacy to assume that someone in 2005 can be living high on the hog off of our government unless they are a politician, lobbyist, or donor!

"I voted for Bush because I felt he was the lesser of two evils. I have never supported him, but I

cared less for Kerry because of his arrogance towards other Vietnam Veterans - like my father."

This is the part I will never understand. You and your father were mad at Kerry for his actions AFTER serving in Vietnam but not at Bush for dodging the war? Additionally, you and your father weren't mad at Bush for SIGNING into law a drastic cut in veteran benefits?

"Whenever you get time to think about it though, ask yourself: Why is it no matter how much money we give poor people, that they still stay poor?"

Again, what money are you talking about? Just because you hear something on talk radio or think you remember something from your childhood doesn't mean it's real.

NMainguy - So instead of countering my rebuttal, you've reduced yourself to calling me names? :huh:

Kincaid: Thanks for sticking to the conversation. I voted for Bush because he wasn't Kerry. Kerry fought to cut defense spending all through the 80's. Myself and my father, along my grandfather all being veterans, I had to choose a position.

As for Bush and the war, he did what he had to do. I don't agree with it, but I'd rather have someone in the reserves hiding out from the war than someone rolling over on his own soldiers. They're both wrong - but to me, Bush is still the lesser-evil of the two. Thats all perspective though. I'm not trying to win that arguement.

You are right about the government cutting programs. The only people suffering though are senior citizens, the disabled/handicapped, and the children. If it were me, I would cut welfare in half, double the minimum wage and die trying to find a way to get lazy people to work. You have to admit that there for every ginuwinely poor, underprivilaged person, there has to be at least 4 to 5 that are abusing the system.

And no, this logic isn't from my childhood nor is it something I've heard on tv or radio. I've had to interact with hundreds if not thousands of poor people in my life - especially from Louisiana - and the attitude of "gimme gimme gimme" is dominant.

Getting back on point of the thread - I don't think Kayne West's comments did anything to help the evacuees in New Orleans.

NMainguy - So instead of countering my rebuttal, you've reduced yourself to calling me names?  :huh:

Kincaid: Thanks for sticking to the conversation. I voted for Bush because he wasn't Kerry. Kerry fought to cut defense spending all through the 80's.  Myself and my father, along my grandfather all being veterans, I had to choose a position.

As for Bush and the war, he did what he had to do. I don't agree with it, but I'd rather have someone in the reserves hiding out from the war than someone rolling over on his own soldiers. They're both wrong - but to me, Bush is still the lesser-evil of the two. Thats all perspective though. I'm not trying to win that arguement.

You are right about the government cutting programs. The only people suffering though are senior citizens, the disabled/handicapped, and the children. If it were me, I would cut welfare in half, double the minimum wage and die trying to find a way to get lazy people to work. You have to admit that there for every ginuwinely poor, underprivilaged person, there has to be at least 4 to 5 that are abusing the system.

And no, this logic isn't from my childhood nor is it something I've heard on  tv or radio. I've had to interact with hundreds if not thousands of poor people in my life - especially from Louisiana - and the attitude of "gimme gimme gimme" is dominant.

Getting back on point of the thread - I don't think Kayne West's comments did anything to help the evacuees in New Orleans.

You offer nothing new. I compare this to a debate over the theory of Darwinism and Intellegent Design. I would never attempt to debate anything comparing a mystical belief with scientific study. Any one saying my refusal to debate that usually ends up saying: "SEE! He can't rebut! Therefore I'm right!" No, the reason I refuse is because there is no there there. I cannot rebut an incoherent rant nor would I even attempt to.

As far as name calling goes? You seem to have cornered the market on that. Here's a few: you have called post storm evacuees: Lazy, Stubborn, Criminal. Others: Blank-O; "..retard Brown aka the "mute horse whisperer"" and this which is more akin to another 7th grader out-burst: "Blank-O..Blayaaayyaaaynk-O.. Katrina come and we want to leave home..."

^^^

As long as Jesse can keep black people believing they are helpless and everyone is against them, he'll have a job.  As soon as the black population believe they can think for themselves and do for themselve, he'll be jobless.

Some have already done this, but not enough.

Jesse and Al Sharpton are preachers. The other so-called leaders are politicians. These guys were modeled from the civil rights era, almost 2 generations ago. That era served it's purpose and truly advanced the opportunites for all minorities. But the day of the "uppity ni####" is over and now it's day of the "upscale American". These poverty pimps are dinosaurs and their message is old. What poor black people need are leaders that can help them get out of the situation that they're in, and that would be successful businessmen and women. But successful black people might vote Republican......

I pretty much avoid the media, especially lately, so maybe I'm wrong assuming that there has been no one helping some of these Astrodome refugees formulate a game plan for their future. They will have some money coming their way and they really need someone to give seminars as to how to invest this little bit. Where are these true leaders?

One example came to me driving home from work today. 3rd Ward is on the verge of being re-invented and parts are going semi-upscale right now, something that hasn't happened to the area so far in it's 150 year existence. dlq1xh.jpg (Something new going up at Tuam & St. Emanuel)

Even $2000 can often get you into a house. Will they go out and buy new clothes and spend it in a week or buy Salvation Army clothes and research homes for sale? Will these new residents participate in the 3rd Ward profits or just whine 10 years from now because they missed out/have to move out when they see how it's changed?

Knowledge and discipline are the true differences between the haves and have nots.

To further complicate the issue . . . and once again de-rail the thread.

I can confidently say that most Americans don't really know what poverty is. Pick the poorest neighborhood in Houston, and that will look like Shangri-La to the poor people from other nations. Chances are, America's "poor" will still have a color TV AND VCR, there probably is electricity (to operate box fans), they will at least have four walls and a roof over their heads, enough money for a bus fare to work, can enjoy a soda, etc. Can you imagine America's poor families sending their kids to the city landfill to scrounge for the day's meal? . . . picking through discarded fetid table scraps. . . sometimes competing with street dogs for the same scrap of food. . .washing clothes in open sewers. . . sleeping in nothing more than literally a cardboard box? This is a fact of life for many of the World

So, midtown, if I could show you parts of these United States that did not have paved roads, where "houses" consisted of pieces of scrap plywood nailed into a lean-to, where there was no running water or electricity, no indoor plumbing...I suppose you might change your mind about how wealthy our poor are? There are many places in the Appalachian Mountains, Arkansas, Oklahoma and our own, supposedly great State of Texas, along the border, where these exact conditions exist.

My office partner is a former citizen of the Soviet Union. He often explains that most of the old Soviet Union was lower middle class, but that they had shelter, clothing and food. He has done relief missions all over the world...yet he says that some of the most desparately poor can be found right here in the US. Our system has many cracks through which the poor can fall.

You have to admit that there for every ginuwinely poor, underprivilaged person, there has to be at least 4 to 5 that are abusing the system.

Wow Jeebus, my experience has been the COMPLETE opposite. I have found that the overwhelming majority of poor that need government assistance do so because they truly need it. It looks like your experience is most people on the system are abusing it and only a small percentage actually need it. Two different life experiences.

Sometimes I think we need to shake ourselves so we don't lose sight of the fact that there is corruption in every aspect of life. There are corrupt police officers, corrupt politicians, corrupt grocery store baggers, corrupt teachers, corrupt priest and preachers, and believe it or not, there are even corrupt people that abuse the government asssistance programs. But just like most police officers are good people, most priest and preachers are good, most grocery store baggers are good, most teachers are good people, and most politicians have good intentions ( I would like to think so), most people that need assistance actually need it. But as in many things, the spotlight is placed on that small minority of corrupt people, which in turn, fuels the flames for their detractors. So in this case ,a few rotten apples only adds to the belief of some that their lives aren't as fulfilled because, " the poor is wasting OUR tax money" and that the poor is the cause of all of America's problems.

Again Jeebus, our experiences obviously have caused us to view things differently, I suppose.

Wow Jeebus, my experience has been the COMPLETE opposite. I have found that the overwhelming majority of poor that need government assistance do so because they truly need it. It looks like your experience is most people on the system are abusing it and only a small percentage actually need it. Two different life experiences.

Sometimes I think we need to shake ourselves so we don't lose sight of the fact that there is corruption in every aspect of life. There are corrupt police officers, corrupt politicians, corrupt grocery store baggers, corrupt teachers, corrupt priest and preachers, and believe it or not, there are even corrupt people that abuse the government asssistance programs. But just like most police officers are good people, most priest and preachers are good, most grocery store baggers are good, most teachers are good people, and most politicians have good intentions ( I would like to think so), most people that need assistance actually need it. But as in many things, the spotlight is placed on that small minority of corrupt people, which in turn, fuels the flames for their detractors. So in this case ,a few rotten apples only adds to the belief of some that their lives aren't as fulfilled because, " the poor is wasting OUR tax money" and that the poor is the cause of all of America's problems.

Again Jeebus, our experiences obviously have caused us to view things differently, I suppose.

Well put, Velvet.

What Jeebus is doing is classic. Instead of doing a thoughtful and intelligent analysis he/she zeros in on a few bad apples and them condemns entire segments of society that he/she may oppose. Facts are things to be twisted if possible or discarded if necessary. It all boils down to just plain lazy thinking.

It is scary that this anti-intellectual tact has worked so well for so long in the political discourse in the US.

B)

The "They're not poor, just thieves" approach has been around for decades. It is a bit of mental gymnastics performed by selfish people to justify their not wanting to help. After this theory was peddled by the greedy for so long, the rest of America just picked up on it. Americans like to think that they are great and generous. To find that their are poor people starving in our midst would upset them. If it can be justified so that it is not Americans' fault, they feel better.

Jeebus has probably been told that lie so long, that he takes it as truth without question. Many others do the same. But, it still doesn't make the statement true.

So, midtown, if I could show you parts of these United States that did not have paved roads, where "houses" consisted of pieces of scrap plywood nailed into a lean-to, where there was no running water or electricity, no indoor plumbing...I suppose you might change your mind about how wealthy our poor are?  There are many places in the Appalachian Mountains, Arkansas, Oklahoma and our own, supposedly great State of Texas, along the border, where these exact conditions exist.

My office partner is a former citizen of the Soviet Union.  He often explains that most of the old Soviet Union was lower middle class, but that they had shelter, clothing and food.  He has done relief missions all over the world...yet he says that some of the most desparately poor can be found right here in the US.  Our system has many cracks through which the poor can fall.

Red, you're making my point for me. Yes, you can show me the most poverty stricken parts of these United States, and that will not compare to real poverty in India, Africa, South East Asia, Latin America. Like I said, most Americans don't know what poverty really is . . . yes, parts of the Appalachians and Texas Valley are in desperate conditions, compared to the rest of the states; but compared to real poverty they don't look so bad.

Sounds like your office mate pines for the "good-ol-days" of the former Soviet Union, and still has some socialist blood in him. Of course MOST of the former USSR was LOWER middle class they had no choice, no matter how hard they worked, the State would give them just the right amount of rations to get by. I'm surprised that he hasn't claimed that there was ZERO poverty in the USSR. Lower Class: 0%, Lower Middle Class: 99%, Upper Class 1% . . . YES! there was an upper class in the USSR . . . the corrupt Politburo Members and their extended families. You know why there is ZERO poverty in the former USSR? The Secret Police would go around, and abduct derelects off of the street, and imprison them in insane asylums or "work camps" (i.e. prisons). How do I know this? Because I was there during the Yuri Andropov / Constatine Chernenko days. i spent time with the "underground" (basicly regular Joes trying to get by), and learned a lot from them. Party rule #1 do not get drunk and decide to sleep it off on the park bench, secret police will put you to "work" and yyou'll never see or hear from your family again.

How do I know about poverty? Fortunately, I was not born into it, but I have had the privilage to travel extensively (25 countries so far) and have lived for most of my life over-seas . . . I've seen poverty, and America's poor have it good.

Since you jerks are badmouthing me, how about I re-join the conversation..

Wanna talk about the epitpome of communist socialism? Look up Mikhail Kalashnikov. He invented the most widely recognized & used assault rifle in the world, and all he got were some crummy awards & a bronze bust in his home town. If he lived in a capitalist society he, along with his family, could be rich beyond his wildest dreams. But hey - communism rules.

As for me being blind, ignorant, questionless, or any other reference to an impressionable "sheeple" - you're wrong. I feel the way I feel because I've been around poverty & the ghettos for the last 10 years of my life via my career choices. I've see enough to know that there are more lazy than uncapable. It has me very jaded. These people are not the type of poor I was as a child. No, they do not have less money - only less respect, and maybe pride.

So I'm going to stick to my cynical line of thought. I allows me to keep a firm grip on reality.

Reality I say? Just yesterday I stood in line at the Hong Kong Supermarket on Bellaire and watched a man buy two cartons of cigarettes with his Red Cross card. That's reality.

Oh, as for the "Blank-O" & "Seacrest OUT" comments - that's just me being humorous. I guess they're just not as funny in text with strangers as they are in person with friends.

Since you jerks are badmouthing me, how about I re-join the conversation..

Wanna talk about the epitpome of communist socialism? Look up Mikhail Kalashnikov. He invented the most widely recognized & used assault rifle in the world, and all he got were some crummy awards & a bronze bust in his home town. If he lived in a capitalist society he, along with his family, could be rich beyond his wildest dreams. But hey - communism rules.

As for me being blind, ignorant, questionless, or any other reference to an impressionable "sheeple" - you're wrong. I feel the way I feel because I've  been around poverty & the ghettos for the last 10 years of my life via my career choices. I've see enough to know that there are more lazy than uncapable. It has me very jaded. These people are not the type of poor I was as a child. No, they do not have less money - only less respect, and maybe pride.

So I'm going to stick to my cynical line of thought. I allows me to keep a firm grip on reality.

Reality I say? Just yesterday I stood in line at the Hong Kong Supermarket on Bellaire and watched a man buy two cartons of cigarettes with his Red Cross card. That's reality.

Oh, as for the "Blank-O" &  "Seacrest OUT" comments - that's just me being humorous. I guess they're just not as funny in text with strangers as they are in person with friends.

I can't recall the author of this quote but it goes something like, "a hardened heart knows no shame; a hardened heart feels no pain"

I'll see if I can't find it somewhere. :mellow:

Archived