Where You Can Volunteer

brucesw

George R. Brown convention center is another place where they could use volunteers. I showed up around 4pm yesterday and worked until about 2am and there was still plenty to do. They told me that they would gladly accept additional volunteers at the door. It definitely looked like they could use the help. I'm assuming that hasn't changed -- but am not making any guarantees. I will be going back later today.

I believe the majority of the evacuees at that shelter are due sometime today.

Where can I volunteer to teach? I would like to be a part of a group to instruct the victims on how to do the work that the volunteers are doing so they can become as self-sufficient as possible just as soon as possible.

Or, I could volunteer to be a part of a group to go around Houston to ask businesses to create jobs for these victims so that they can once again feel productive, and give them the means to get back on their feet once they return to or find a permanent residence.

I'd start by asking the Red Cross and the Salvation Army. They're usually plugged in and can hook you up with the appropriate group.

If that doesn't work, try the city or even FEMA. Also, keep an eye out in the newspapers for the names of city business leaders. They or their secretaries might be able to point you in the right direction.

Hopefully someone else will have better advice.

Individuals looking to volunteer should also check with the churchces in town. Many are organizing efforts to assemble toiletry kits, and are accepting donations of money, clothing, bedding, diapers, medical supplies, and other items. They are also in need of volunteers to help deliver these items to the appropriate relief centers. Local congregations are also serving as organizational points for assembling volunteer teams to help with serving meals. My congregation, which is Methodist, is joining in the call of the Bishop of the Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church to provide the resources for serving up to 75,000 meals on Wednesday, September 14. The Conference has also set a goal of raising at least $1,000,000 in funds from its congregants before September 13.

So, my point is, if you can't get to one of the big relief centers, or don't feel that's your calling, there's a lot you can do to help out within you own neighborhood by checking with churches in your area. Many of them are maxing out their normal group of volunteers and could use the extra help.

Where can I volunteer to teach? I would like to be a part of a group to instruct the victims on how to do the work that the volunteers are doing so they can become as self-sufficient as possible just as soon as possible.

Or, I could volunteer to be a part of a group to go around Houston to ask businesses to create jobs for these victims so that they can once again feel productive, and give them the means to get back on their feet once they return to or find a permanent residence.

Probably the best place to offer that sort of service would be the Red Cross, as they are one of the lead groups in the long term care giving and reintegration efforts in disasters such as this one.

Also, for those that are concerned about places such as the Astrodome becoming semi-permanent, FEMA is on site at all of these shelters, giving assistance. While the immediate needs of food, water, shower and bed are the things most often shown on TV, after those needs are met, the evacuees meet FEMA representatives to discuss their individual circumstances and determine what assistance can be provided. This often includes more permanent shelter, such as apartments, houses or the dreaded FEMA trailer. There are also vouchers for housing and other necessities given out.

Since evacuations are still ongoing, you may not see this for a few days, but it is happening behind the scenes.

Archived