The Levees

DJ V Lawrence

This is the best I've found, so far.

The breach at New Orleans' 17th Street Canal is under repair, and engineers expect to close the front of the canal at Lake Pontchartrain by Thursday evening, said Walter Baumy of the Army Corps of Engineers there. (Map)

There are accessibility problems with a second breach, he said.

Blanco described the project Wednesday as an "engineering nightmare."

From CNN

Here's a bit more info, from MSNBC.

"Levee repair under way

Good news was scarce, but at least one critical breach in the New Orleans levee system was expected to be repaired by the end of the day Thursday. A second section will take longer because workers are having trouble getting equipment to that part of the swamped city, according to the Army Corps of Engineers.

Lt. Gen. Carl Strock, Army Corps of Engineers commander, told reporters that a large breach in the 17th Street Canal levee in New Orleans should be filled Thursday, the first in what will be a long and costly effort to repair the city

Here's a bit more info, from MSNBC.

"Levee repair under way

Good news was scarce, but at least one critical breach in the New Orleans levee system was expected to be repaired by the end of the day Thursday. A second section will take longer because workers are having trouble getting equipment to that part of the swamped city, according to the Army Corps of Engineers.

Lt. Gen. Carl Strock, Army Corps of Engineers commander, told reporters that a large breach in the 17th Street Canal levee in New Orleans should be filled Thursday, the first in what will be a long and costly effort to repair the city

I've read the same think Redscare posted too. The sheet pile will be the quickest solution.

Once it is in place, sand bags and be loaded on each side as additional reiforcement.

Shee pile is often used to divert water or block water out when working on a channel or having to get to the bottom of the channel.

Channel reconstruction also uses them. I'm just trying to figure out how they are going to place them. Usually you need a crane with a pile driver. A helicoper can do that. Good thing the Army Corps does have a lot of speciallized equipment. I'm guess they'll put a crane on a barge and float it in place. Then drive the piles.

I guess some citizens in Fort Bend county that live in leveed areas get a picture of what will happen if their levees failed.

A lot of us always complain about Houston flooding, but just think it could be a lot worst. The city and the county are working on reducing flooding in the city. If this storm would have happened in Houston, there might have been alot of water damage from the strom, but it would not sit there like in NO. Houston is also much farther inland.

Archived