what about good private schools:

*Notre Dame

Stanford

Northwestern

Boston College

*University of Miami

These schools have traditionally been able to compete with the big dumb state schools - and two of them (*) have become football power houses in their own right winning many national titles and bowl games between them. The best thing for football to do - is simply split up the same way the NFL did - play playoff games.

I don't think Northwestern has "traditionally" been able to compete with other schools in its conference. They have had a few good years and lots of poor ones. And didn't BC almost cut its football program???

However, I do agree that college football needs to go to a playoff system. I always laugh when ABC commentators lament the dominance the BCS system has on college football and suggest a playoff system would be better---of course, never mentioning that ABC is one of, if not the, biggest reasons the BCS exists!

You don't go to Rice for the football. You go to get a great education for a relatively good price. Football isn't even part of the equation.

gto:

I agree. I wonder how much outreach and support to really bright high school students-who would just die for a challanging leg-up in life-the $$ spent on sports at Rice would help. I don't mean cutting intramural sports-just the out of proportion amount of $$ spent on football, baseball and basketball.

Like you said, you go there for a great education. If you want sports, go to any of our lame-ass state supported universities.

I've been with their foot ball team for about 4 years in the Marching Owl Band aka MOB. The team is pretty good, I've always enjoy watching them from where we sit. During the half time, our band entertains the crowds by making fun of the other team or some other type of show for simply fun! If you don't like football you just might enjoy watching the MOB. We are not your everyday marching band and better, we don't march either! B)

Edited by Aland11223

• 1 month later...
Which is why they arent very good.

All the really good players (regardless of how smart they are) would rather play at a place they can atleast attempt to pass without much worry, Rice is a tough school and hence atheletes dont want to play there unless thats what is important to them.

I laughed when I read this reply. The high school that I went to was called the "pretty boy's school" by other schools. Well, I'll be honest, they didn't have a good football team to speak of at all. Back when I was in high school in the 1970s, there were usually 10 games a season. I was a junior when they won five games for the first time since it opened back in 1961.

• 2 months later...

Now I see how behind the times that I am. I found out today that the Southwest Conference no longer exists. I remember Rice University was one of its members. Now it belongs to C-USA West. But I also found out that Rice's current enrollment is 4,835, twice as many as someone else on this forum reported.

I sure wish that I could turn back the clock 30 years. I would have tried to attend Rice.

well, if you could have rolled the clock back beyond forty years, you could have gone tuition-free (as long as you were white)...

More like 42 years. I just read in an encyclopedia that Rice started charging tuition in 1965.

The 4.8k number includes grad students (about 1.8k or so) leaving the undergrad population at nearly 3,000 looking to grow to 4,000 in the next decade or so. As for C-USA, sorry you missed the nine or so years Rice was in the WAC playing such schools as Hawaii and Boise State.

What did WAC stand for?

The 4.8k number includes grad students (about 1.8k or so) leaving the undergrad population at nearly 3,000 looking to grow to 4,000 in the next decade or so. As for C-USA, sorry you missed the nine or so years Rice was in the WAC playing such schools as Hawaii and Boise State.

That same encyclopedia said that Rice initially allowed no more than 450 undergraduates to enroll each year. It changed that in the 1960s.

C-USA baseball is going to be top-notch this year.

Check out the 2006 College Classic Tickets this Friday at MMP.

im_hdr_classic_581x100.gif

When trying to think of Rice athletes that went professional, the only name that comes to my mind is Tommy Kramer. Does he reside in the Houston area?

When trying to think of Rice athletes that went professional, the only name that comes to my mind is Tommy Kramer. Does he reside in the Houston area?

Two that come to mind during my time there in the mid-50's are Frank Ryan (Quarterback-Browns) and King Hill (Quarterback-Eagles).

A few more Rice atheletes that went pro throughout the years:

Jose Cruz Jr. (baseball)

Dicky Moegle (football...played for the 49ers and Cowboys)

Tobin Rote (football)

Bill Howton (football)

Buddy Dial (football)

Hugo Hollas (football Saints)

Ricky Pierce (NBA Bucks)

...several baseball players from Rice's nat'l championship baseball team of a couple of years ago were drafted and are in the minor league's now. Look for several to be in the majors real soon...

Jose Cruz Jr. (baseball)

Tobin Rote (football)

Bill Howton (football)

Buddy Dial (football)

Ricky Pierce (NBA Bucks)

...several baseball players from Rice's nat'l championship baseball team of a couple of years ago were drafted and are in the minor league's now. Look for several to be in the majors real soon...

The only name that sounds familiar to me is Buddy Dial. Who did he play for?

• 4 months later...

Jose Cruz Jr. (baseball)

Tobin Rote (football)

Bill Howton (football)

Buddy Dial (football)

Ricky Pierce (NBA Bucks)

I guess in the old Southwest Conference enrollment didn't matter. UT and Texas A&M have between 40,000 and 50,000 students. Rice University was at the bottom with 5,000. This is from the 2006 World Almanac, page 658.

• 1 year later...

Jose Cruz Jr. (baseball)

Tobin Rote (football)

Bill Howton (football)

Buddy Dial (football)

Ricky Pierce (NBA Bucks)

I haven't kept up with college football this season. How is Rice doing?

Not too well though they did beat UTEP this past weekend. I think they're record now is 2 wins 6 losses. Last year they went to a Bowl Game (and lost) for the first time since '62. They they're head coach quit and got hired to coach at Tulsa.

I haven't kept up with college football this season. How is Rice doing?

He earned his PhD in Math at Rice in the mid-60's. I think he did some teaching there after his pro career.

Frank Ryan went to Rice in the 50s and was a second string quarterback behind the better known starter King Hill. After graduation in 1958, Ryan played quarterback in the NFL for 13 years, playing for the LA Rams, the Cleveland Browns, and the Washington Redskins.

He was elected to three Pro-Bowl teams and helped lead the Cleveland Browns to their 1964 NFL Championship.

Ryan attended Rice during the off-season and took a PhD in mathematics from Rice in 1965. For several years in the late 60s, he taught spring and summer semester classes at Rice.

He retired after the 1972 season, and since then he's pursued careers in government, academia, intercollegiate athletics, and the corporate world.

Edited by FilioScotia

• 1 month later...
Rice was talkin about nixing their football program a year or two ago. If they eventually do, I'm sure it will be torn down.

How did Rice's football team do for the Fall 2007 season? When I was watching the Cotton Bowl, the sportscaster said that back in the 1954 game someone came off of the bench and tackled a Rice kickoff returner.

I've just taken an interest in Rice University. Has there ever been any year(s) that it won any championship? The only pro football player who comes to my mind who attended Rice was Tommy Kramer. When I attended the University of Arkansas from 1984-86, I remember that Rice University was in the same conference.

They were a SWC powerhouse in the late 40s and 50s. They filled the stadium up especially when they played UT and Texas A&M. Weldon Humble, Billy Howton, King Hill, Frank Ryan, Buddy Dial, ND Kalu(sp) with the Texans,Larry Izzo with the Patriots and many more from Rice have played in the NFL. Rice has such an endowment that up until the 60s, if you were accepted to Rice the tuition was FREE. Also , from what I understand, Commerce and PE were majors open only to Athletes. They could major in other things but those were reserved for jocks. Frank Ryan who quarterbacked the Cleveland Browns got his degree in Aeronautical Engineering.

They were a SWC powerhouse in the late 40s and 50s. They filled the stadium up especially when they played UT and Texas A&M. Weldon Humble, Billy Howton, King Hill, Frank Ryan, Buddy Dial, ND Kalu(sp) with the Texans,Larry Izzo with the Patriots and many more from Rice have played in the NFL. Rice has such an endowment that up until the 60s, if you were accepted to Rice the tuition was FREE. Also , from what I understand, Commerce and PE were majors open only to Athletes. They could major in other things but those were reserved for jocks. Frank Ryan who quarterbacked the Cleveland Browns got his degree in Aeronautical Engineering.

I've never heard of a degree in Commerce. Is it another name for Business? Yes, the only names that sound familiar are Dial and Ryan. I think Tommy Kramer is the most recent. I read that he ended up having big problems with drugs and alcohol.

i have yet to make it to a game, but i'll make sure that when i do i'll keep my eyes out for the MOB! heh

Speaking about the former Southwest Conference, is Southern Methodist University still around?