Will They Just Become Houstonians?

bruce_oneal

we should give this some thought:

1) there have been thousands of people that have left the city of new orleans (many of them here in houston ... many several being relocated today to the astrodome

2) many of these people cannot return to the city for anywhere from 1 month to 3 months ...

3) many of these people do not have jobs or homes to return to even IF they had the resources to return...

are we prepared to have the houston population increase by thousands if they decide to call new orleans quits?

are we prepared to have this influx of our neighbors to the east impact our city in untold ways?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, Bruce. You think New Orleans companies will relocate here to Houston?

i'm wondering the same thing? i heard on the news that several companies that had contracted with the new orleans convention center are contacting houston about possibly relocating their conventions here.

as for companies relocting their entire operations? not too sure.

Have you heard prisoners holding hostages in New Orleans? They're considered to be armed and dangerous, and roiting the city.

This is so stupid of them doing this. People already have problems dealing with the disaster, and now this.

another scary thought... yesterday the terror alert was raised to elevated. this kinda slipped by, but i saw it on the fox newscrawl as i was watched the devastation in nola.

i would hate to even imagine another man-made disaster while the country is also dealing with this.

I said it before, and I'll say it again -- the city of Houston should start a welcome/relocation program for these people.  Help them settle and start new lives in Houston.

I think this is a great idea as well.

Also, NOLA is non-stop conventions. They need somewhere to go, as awful as it sounds, this is the time for the city to jump in and offer whatever they can.

I said it before, and I'll say it again -- the city of Houston should start a welcome/relocation program for these people.  Help them settle and start new lives in Houston.

I caught a bit of the City Council meeting this morning,and Mayor White seems to be on top of things.

He was saying that since people will be here for an extended period that we should find uses for their skills, so they don't feel like charity cases. I imagine he'll be quoted in later newscasts.

According to CNN, the Astrodome's schedule has been cleared until December. One hopes people won't be housed there for that long.

While I'm glad that Houston is able to help victims of the flood, I wonder what sort of security will be in place at the Astrodome, and how freely the refugees will be allowed to come and go. Since Metro rail runs so close by, will they spend their days downtown? their nights?

I'd be lying if I didn't consider that some of our new guests might be the same people seen looting stores on Canal Street, and what impact this will have on our community.

According to CNN, the Astrodome's schedule has been cleared until December. One hopes people won't be housed there for that long.

While I'm glad that Houston is able to help victims of the flood, I wonder what sort of security will be in place at the Astrodome, and how freely the refugees will be allowed to come and go. Since Metro rail runs so close by, will they spend their days downtown? their nights?

I'd be lying if I didn't consider that some of our new guests might be the same people seen looting stores on Canal Street, and what impact this will have on our community.

I think it's fair to consider these items. Houston is certainly stepping to the plate, but one must certainly consider the long-term impact on Houston socially and economically.

It's tragic. I was just at a gas station in East End, and there are a couple guys on the street corner holding signs saying "Refugee from New Orleans - Please Help", panhandling. Gut tellss me that these guys are just locals trying to find a sucker.

I am guessing at a few things. First, most of the people in the Superdome are not the looters. There are large numbers of elderly, mothers with children, and the like. The looters are still having shootouts in front of police stations.

Second, the Astrodome will not be a jail. I'm sure for security purposes, they will have some sort of checkpoint to get in and out, but they will be able to leave. This is a good thing. With communication, the refugees will be able to contact family and friends, some in Houston, and make arrangements to get out. Some will assimilate into Houston.

The plan likely contemplates a steady decrease in the number of refugees as they find alternatives to the Dome. When FEMA gets up to speed, there will be refugee camps built closer to home. These could be tent cities or trailers. This was done in Florida. Once the refugees are given temporary housing, the Dome hotel will close.

I say leave the looters and thugs behind to fend for themselves. I may be pretty liberal, but I have no sympathy for the looters breaking into stores to steal electronics, guns, beer, and other non-survival items. It's one thing when you're desperate, tired, dehydrated and hungry to take food, water, and medicine out of a store. The authorities in NO have been doing this out of necessity and distributing those items to people sheltered in the city. But the rest of this madness is inexcusable. In my opinion the government owes those people absolutely nothing. Leave them behind. Bring those who aren't resorting in violence and theft to Houston.

I watched the noon press conference with the Mayor, Judge Lindsey and the area head of the Red Cross. They all agreed people could and should go out into the city if nothing else than to avoid cabin fever. The train is right at their door step and between the dome and downtown there are tons of free things for them to do simply by showing a La., Miss. or Ala. I.D.

Here's a list:

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/plan_a_visit.asp?pageid=416

I say leave the looters and thugs behind to fend for themselves. I may be pretty liberal, but I have no sympathy for the looters breaking into stores to steal electronics, guns, beer, and other non-survival items. It's one thing when you're desperate, tired, dehydrated and hungry to take food, water, and medicine out of a store. The authorities in NO have been doing this out of necessity and distributing those items to people sheltered in the city. But the rest of this madness is inexcusable. In my opinion the government owes those people absolutely nothing. Leave them behind. Bring those who aren't resorting in violence and theft to Houston.

I saw the Govenor of La. this morning on Today totally perplexed by looters taking electronics and appliances. She wondered what on earth these people were going to do with these things. Then they showed 2 NO policewomen stocking up themselves. Wonder how they're feeling about their job security today?

looting for food and "survival" supplies = GOOD

looting anything else = *%?!#$& (what are you going to do with this stuff, it's probably damaged, it probably get damaged before you can use it)

Marshall law has been enacted in New Orleans, but I guess helping the people get out is truly more important than stopping these immature bastards stealing electronics and other goods that are useless at the current time.

I think the city will rebuild, it'll be slow. I think employers will go back. This is similar to 9/11 when lower Manhattan was off limits for a period. Things will eventually get back to normal.

What about the people who fled the Katrina and cant afford to stay in a hotel for more then a weekend much less 3 months?

Channel 13 just reported that people like this in need have been turned way fron the Astrodome since the news reported that it will be opened to the refugees of the Superdome.

The people that are looting for televsions, vcrs, dvd players, let them fight each other off. People like this are the scum of the earth. I saw one person on tv trying to steal a fur coat for Saks. Come one people! It is wet and 100 degress outside.

Archived