Gas Prices

Here's my idea. I want to organize a national "boycott gas" day or maybe even week where everyone who is able to rides public transportation and doesn't buy any gas for the whole day or week. This won't make chevrontexacoexxonmobilshell lower its prices but if enough people strike it will hit them in the pockets if the strike is publicized well enough. We need a big date to keep publicizin like "APRIL 18-25: NATIONAL BOYCOTT GAS WEEK" everywhere u look, not neccessarily those dates. I don't have the time, connections, or finances to organize this but I was thinking some u might know people who can take this idea and make it a success. I feel like they're price gouging even if they're not.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I would love to take the bus or carpool to work but as far as I know right now I am the only one in my office living in my area and the Metro buss service does not come out to my area at all.

As for a boycott Gas day that would not work either simply becasue gas is not the only thing that the oil is used for. If you really want to hurt the oil cartel then stop using so much plastic and other products made from OIL!

That is where you will hurt them. Below is a list of products. I will let you choose which one we will boycott.

Clothing Ink, Heart Valves, Crayons, Parachutes, Telephones, Enamel, Transparent tape, Antiseptics, Vacuum bottles, Deodorant, Pantyhose, Rubbing Alcohol, Carpets, Epoxy paint, Oil filters, Upholstery, Hearing Aids, Car sound insulation, Cassettes, Motorcycle helmets, Pillows, Shower doors, Shoes, Refrigerator linings, Electrical tape, Safety glass, Awnings, Salad bowl, Rubber cement, Nylon rope, Ice buckets, Fertilizers, Hair coloring, Toilet seats, Denture adhesive, Loudspeakers, Movie film, Fishing boots, Candles, Water pipes, Car enamel, Shower curtains, Credit cards, Aspirin, Golf balls, Detergents, Sunglasses, Glue, Fishing rods, Linoleum, Plastic wood, Soft contact lenses, Trash bags, Hand lotion, Shampoo, Shaving cream, Footballs, Paint brushes, Balloons, Fan belts, Umbrellas, Paint Rollers, Luggage, Antifreeze, Model cars, Floor wax, Sports car bodies, Tires, Dishwashing liquids, Unbreakable dishes, Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Combs, Tents, Hair curlers, Lipstick, Ice cube trays, Electric blankets, Tennis rackets, Drinking cups, House paint, Rollerskates wheels, Guitar strings, Ammonia, Eyeglasses, Ice chests, Life jackets, TV cabinets, Car battery cases, Insect repellent, Refrigerants, Typewriter ribbons, Cold cream, Glycerin, Plywood adhesive, Cameras, Anesthetics, Artificial turf, Artificial Limbs, Bandages, Dentures, Mops, Beach Umbrellas, Ballpoint pens, Boats, Nail polish, Golf bags, Caulking, Tape Recorders, Curtains, Vitamin capsules, Dashboards, Putty, Percolators, Skis, Insecticides, Fishing lures, Perfumes, Shoe polish, Petroleum jelly, Faucet washers, Food preservatives, Antihistamines, Cortisone, Dyes, LP records, Solvents, Roofing, Compact disks, Mini disks, Computer parts, Cups, ETC, ETC.

I know that this does not cover everything so if you can think of some more then please fell free to add to the list!

Here's my idea. I want to organize a national "boycott gas" day or maybe even week where everyone who is able to rides public transportation and doesn't buy any gas for the whole day or week. This won't make chevrontexacoexxonmobilshell lower its prices but if enough people strike it will hit them in the pockets if the strike is publicized well enough. We need a big date to keep publicizin like "APRIL 18-25: NATIONAL BOYCOTT GAS WEEK" everywhere u look, not neccessarily those dates. I don't have the time, connections, or finances to organize this but I was thinking some u might know people who can take this idea and make it a success. I feel like they're price gouging even if they're not.

We've been spoiled here. The govt has done a lot to keep prices relatively stable over the long term. look how much a gallon of milk has gone up just recently! Housing prices have gone up as well. Do you own an SUV by chance?

Oh please, Metro's had to shut down nearly half their routes over the past couple years cuz NOBODYS RIDING. U act like everyone would wait at 1 bus stop too and they'd all catch the same bus. Besides I said all the people who COULD take public transportation. I wouldn't have even expected that many people to strike anyway. SOMEHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Were getting f****d in the a*s with no reach around at those pumps! Why? Cuz they know we don't have a choice! Cuz they know people like you HAVE to use their cars! 1.99 is about the median in Houston. So when I see some shells charging 2.15 for regular, I know they do it cuz they can! "Mwuahahahahaha!! Ill charge 2.15 for regular and they'll pay! What else are they gonna use for feul, hydrogen? Electricity?! Mwuahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!"

Gasoline is an extremely small part of the any profit for oil companies. It's closer to a break even business for them. Most of the money is made by the station owner which has a franchise with the oil company. The oil company probably makes more from the percentage of income from the food store versus the galsoline itself.

Wacked out environmentalist who jump to conclusion without knowing any facts about the oil industry really do piss me off. If they new the facts they would realize the US uses oil for many more important things than just gas.

By the way, i don't think solar or hydrogen power can produce all the goods listed above by HUNTER. I always knew oil was used for a majority of things besides gas production. That list is just the tip of the iceberg. Pretty much anything that is synthetic or made with plastic comes from oil.

Am I the only one that wants to see $4/gallon in the US?

(probably)

No I agree! $4.00 a gallon? Bring it on!

It is amazing that nothing is being done about gas prices. I mean have you seen any action on any level of government? I mean anything? Call for conservation? Jawboning the Saudis? Anything?

When I said make em lose money I was talking about the gas station owners that are price gouging not the big oil companies. I mean the station owners get to get to charge whatever they want right? They're not told by the big oil companies what to charge for gas right? Just wanted to clarify this for any people on "I know a couple factoids you don't know" high horses.

Can you really blame the station owners. They are not oblige to offer you gas at the cheapest price. It's a market situation.

I don't know if Texas has price gouging laws like several hurrican proned states. I know Florida and Lousiana have them. Necessities like gas cannot jump up in price more than 10% in a certain period of time without being called price gouging. It can rise, but it has to be slowly. The law usually gets enforced when the public complains. It has occured recently in Florida with all the hurricanes they had.

When I said make em lose money I was talking about the gas station owners that are price gouging not the big oil companies. I mean the station owners get to get to charge whatever they want right? They're not told by the big oil companies what to charge for gas right? Just wanted to clarify this for any people on "I know a couple factoids you don't know" high horses.

I'm sorry, but your post is so completely incorrect it makes me laugh.

First, gas station owners don't exactly get to charge whatever they want. They certainly aren't going to sell gasoline at below cost (that is, the cost at which the gas is sold to them from the oil companies/refineries), and they certainly aren't going to try to sell it at a price above what the competition is charging down the street. As it is now, they currently make a profit of anywhere between .01 and .02 per gallon-----most gas stations make their money off of what is sold inside the store (cokes, chips, etc). You may think that the stations would want to raise prices to increase their profits, but without concerted action by all stations (which, of course, raises antitrust issues), they aren't able to do so.

Second, as Hunter said earlier, and as others have implied, how do you propose boycotting gasoline? Boycotting it for a day will do nothing to lower the price, because eventually (say, on day two or three), you will have to buy the gasoline--and by not getting any gasoline on day one (but yet still using it), you actually will have to buy MORE gas now. And, assuming the station owner is wise enough to know what is going on, why wouldn't he raise the prices on days 2 and 3, thereby costing you MORE too.

Third, it doesn't matter if you FEEL that they are price gouging...what matters is if they actually are. And, at this point in time, it sure doesn't look like they are. Prices are high for three basic reasons: first, the "terror/iraq" premium; second, the weak dollar; and third, increased consumption combined with decreased production.

As to the first and second reasons, blame the current adminstration. As to the second reason, blame (to a large degree) those who buy cars that get abysmal gas mileage and (to a small degree) oil companies for not increasing production (however, some of that is due to environmental and/or geopolitical issues). But it is asnine to blame gas station owners...

dear 77017,

i can only speak for myself and let me say your intentions seem good. after reading hunters post i am forced to think about all the things we must have to get along, and whoever posted that station owners do not control the prices also made a valid point.

that said, i will relate that i stopped driving my car about 5 years ago and started using public transportation. i did this initially as an experiment because i found myself griping about sitting in traffic and also worried about pollution. i cannot expect anyone else to stop driving, especially those like 27 who remind us that cars are a necessity for some in relation to their employment.

i do agree with you that those who CAN should try public transportation and i would also be interested in hearing your experiences with bus and/or rail. but taking a bus or train over driving is a very personal decision and not something that should be forced upon someone. i commend your passion and suggest that instead of pursuing a boycott you channel your energy into ways to promote public transportation. www.gulfcoastinstitute.org has a page called "livable houston" that has many good ideas about promoting public transportation. i grew up being told "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" but of course, my mom was a hippie from the 60's. times have changed and so must the approach - i think the last successful thing boycotted was grapes, led by cesar chavez calling attention to the plight of migrant workers.

deb martin

station owners with non-branded gas can set prices to whatever they want, and usually get gas cheaper (unless there is a shortage) then shell, exxon, etc. but again, they usually only make a few cents per gallon (.01-.03 depending on location/competition). they make most profits by the stuff inside. if you want to hurt gas stations, get people to stop smoking.

i take public transportation when i can, its pretty hard from clear lake. but when i do go downtown M-F i take the bus, and all the park and ride lots down here are completely full with people parked on the grass just to get a spot.

Have we all forgotten that Houston is the "energy" capitol of the world? if a huge boycott were to take place the local economy would bust...im not saying a bust like the 80's or anything...just saying that the oil industy is a major drive in the Houston economy...

Have we all forgotten that Houston is the "energy" capitol of the world? if a huge boycott were to take place the local economy would bust...im not saying a bust like the 80's or anything...just saying that the oil industy is a major drive in the Houston economy...

That is the exact reason why gas should be cheaper here than anywhere else.

At $2.02 on average in Houston for unleaded, it's still cheap as dirt. It's gonna keep going up and that's not necessarily a bad thing right now.

If you're like me and you're filling up a 20-25 gallon SUV, well, ya can't complain really--we all bought 'em and we all knew $1.06/gal wouldn't last forever.

It's kinda like mortgage rates--I remember when 7% was a GREAT rate (back in mid-90's), even 7.25--but we've been spoiled lately with the 5.375's and the 6%'s out there that our perspective is off. 7% is still a great rate but people are gonna freak when rates go back up--which they are doing right now.

That is the exact reason why gas should be cheaper here than anywhere else.

It is. Two weeks ago I paid about $2.23 a gallon in upstate New York. A friend in San Diego is complaining that it's approaching $2.50 there. Closer to home, in some of the smaller towns within 150 miles from here it's running about $2.10-2.15 a gallon for regular unleaded. Trust me, gas in Houston tends to be on the cheap side when compared to prices around the nation.

Just curious, but has anyone been driving less because of this? I know I took METRO last week to the Galleria one day and to get lunch and then to Hermann Park for the afternoon on another day because I wanted to cut back on my city driving and I had the extra time available to take the bus/train. Anyone else driving less, carpooling, riding METRO more, or trying to combine trips to save gas?

I'm sorry, but your post is so completely incorrect it makes me laugh.

First, gas station owners don't exactly get to charge whatever they want. They certainly aren't going to sell gasoline at below cost (that is, the cost at which the gas is sold to them from the oil companies/refineries), and they certainly aren't going to try to sell it at a price above what the competition is charging down the street.  As it is now, they currently make a profit of anywhere between .01 and .02 per gallon-----most gas stations make their money off of what is sold inside the store (cokes, chips, etc).  You may think that the stations would want to raise prices to increase their profits, but without concerted action by all stations (which, of course, raises antitrust issues), they aren't able to do so.

Second, as Hunter said earlier, and as others have implied, how do you propose boycotting gasoline? Boycotting it for a day will do nothing to lower the price, because eventually (say, on day two or three), you will have to buy the gasoline--and by not getting any gasoline on day one (but yet still using it), you actually will have to buy MORE gas now.  And, assuming the station owner is wise enough to know what is going on, why wouldn't he raise the prices on days 2 and 3, thereby costing you MORE too.

Third, it doesn't matter if you FEEL that they are price gouging...what matters is if they actually are. And, at this point in time, it sure doesn't look like they are. Prices are high for three basic reasons: first, the "terror/iraq" premium; second, the weak dollar; and third, increased consumption combined with decreased production.

As to the first and second reasons, blame the current adminstration.  As to the second reason, blame (to a large degree) those who buy cars that get abysmal gas mileage and (to a small degree) oil companies for not increasing production (however, some of that is due to environmental and/or geopolitical issues). But it is asnine to blame gas station owners...

Wow, are unhappy with a certain aspect of ur life pointdexter? I'm sorry, I didn't know we were having a "who's the biggest gas station factoid" nerd contest. Look man, if u read all my posts I'm sure somewhere in there someone as smart as you try to make yourself sound will see I'm not really serious about all this. I was just venting my frustration about the high ass gas prices. But if writing "look at me, I'm smarter than you" posts makes u feel good, by all means. Man I swear u people take "forum life" too seriously.

No I agree! $4.00 a gallon? Bring it on!

It is amazing that nothing is being done about gas prices. I mean have you seen any action on any level of government? I mean anything? Call for conservation? Jawboning the Saudis? Anything?

We all know our government is in bed with the saudis and the isrealis.

It is. Two weeks ago I paid about $2.23 a gallon in upstate New York. A friend in San Diego is complaining that it's approaching $2.50 there. Closer to home, in some of the smaller towns within 150 miles from here it's running about $2.10-2.15 a gallon for regular unleaded. Trust me, gas in Houston tends to be on the cheap side when compared to prices around the nation.

Just curious, but has anyone been driving less because of this? I know I took METRO last week to the Galleria one day and to get lunch and then to Hermann Park for the afternoon on another day because I wanted to cut back on my city driving and I had the extra time available to take the bus/train. Anyone else driving less, carpooling, riding METRO more, or trying to combine trips to save gas?

I actually have been trying to cut back on the driving that I have been doing. Especially since im only 17 and don't have a bunch of cash on me all the time.

I try to get all my stuff done in one trip, only drive to school and work, and ocassionally go out with some friends.

Remember, the red flag means the station has no gas. The green flag means they do. You are only allowed to pump gas on odd-numbered days or even-numbered days, as determined by your license tag number.

Remember, the red flag means the station has no gas. The green flag means they do. You are only allowed to pump gas on odd-numbered days or even-numbered days, as determined by your license tag number.

Funny you should post this because I was just thinking the same thing. And I am sure it will not be to far off. Yes my lady and I have been doing less driving lately because of gas prices but we started that a long time ago. We use our bikes more now and we even bought a small trailer to use so we can go shopping and put our groceries in it (We need the exercise anyway). Unfortunately I work to far from home to ride my bike to work so fir that I will have to drive. Luckily I have a small gas efficient car so it does not hurt to bad.

Well I would not let it get to everyone too much because we all knew it would happen one day. Now we can only hope that more alternative fueled cars will come out soon. And that they will be priced with in reach of the common consumer.

Am I the only one that wants to see $4/gallon in the US?

(probably)

No, this writer agrees with you (from today's Chronicle).

March 27, 2005, 6:53PM

Bush puts country at risk by ignoring energy issues

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

How will future historians explain it? How will they possibly explain why President Bush decided to ignore the energy crisis staring us in the face and chose instead to spend all his electoral capital on a futile effort to undo the New Deal by partially privatizing Social Security? We are, quite simply, witnessing one of the greatest examples of misplaced priorities in the history of the U.S. presidency.

"Ah, Friedman, but you overstate the case." No, I understate it. Look at the opportunities our country is missing

How about thanking the democrats and environmentalist from stopping any improvements to refining facilities to improve production. Also, they prevented the construction of new facilities that would also improve production. Currently, the US has more oil coming for gas production than can turn over and refine. If the government would allow more refineries to be built or upgraded like the current adminstration is attempting, then the gas prices can come down. New refining facilities can produce gasoline more efficiently and at less pollution. Upgrades can be made to improve current facilities also. But I guess the environmentalist would rather appear to help the environment by stoping the refineries than to actually try and help the enivironment by upgrading and building new facilities.

The same situation goes for the coal industry also.

How about thanking the democrats and environmentalist from stopping any improvements to refining facilities to improve production.

THANK YOU, kjb434. You hit the nail on the head. This is NOT anywhere NEAR being a Republican issue. Sorry, LTAWACS.

California is the LARGEST consumer of oil in this country, yet they also have the largest population of democrats. Do you think they have as many refineries needed to maintain their demand? He*l no, and they won't allow any new ones to be built, either. Ask Hollywood to give up their Escalades and their Hummers? How about downsizing that 6500 sq. ft. palace in the Hills to save energy? I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon. They want their cake and they want to eat it too.

The bottom line is, the actual act of refining oil costs a lot of money and isn't very profitable.

The BP explosion is just one example of why we need new refineries using new technology. That kind of accident is just waiting to happen at these old places.

It's all about supply and demand and frankly, I really hate that the author of the Barnacle's article thinks we should force people to stop driving SUV's by fixing the price of gasoline. That's socialist crap. We definitely need the freedom to build better, cleaner refineries.

Either that, or we just wait for California to fall into the ocean and we go back to our regularly scheduled country. :lol:

Archived