I'm curious as to whether the open space at the top of the building serves a function. It appears that that there's a hopper-like structure contained within; is it possible that this is a rain-collection system for 'green building' use? or is it merely decorative?

I'm curious as to whether the open space at the top of the building serves a function. It appears that that there's a hopper-like structure contained within; is it possible that this is a rain-collection system for 'green building' use? or is it merely decorative?

I looked at the press release on their web site and it doesn't say anything about the building having environmental sustainability features. In that case chances are that it is just decorative housing for HVAC equipment.

The odd thing about the building is that it looks like it could have been designed anytime over the last 30 years. Boxes are forever, I suppose.

• 1 year later...

That's the building I'm watching go up in front of Memorial Hermann, right? Its easily the tallest building in the med center and has a pretty cool "crown" on top of it. Impressive. Could have been a bit brasher but the physical size is impressive.

That's the building I'm watching go up in front of Memorial Hermann, right? Its easily the tallest building in the med center and has a pretty cool "crown" on top of it. Impressive. Could have been a bit brasher but the physical size is impressive.

argh - i am not a fan of either building (the medical plaza, or the one across fannin - the heart and vascular institute). while i think the century project is good on the whole, i am surprised at the buildings that are being built with the gazillions of budgeted dollars.

i have watched the medical plaza's construction every day since it broke ground - i don't really have a choice since it is SO huge! - now i am glad that it replaced that parking lot, but it is just a "blah" building.

while the one across fannin is a little more interesting, i suppose, it completely overwhelms the original semi-circular building behind it, which i always thought of as kind of neat.

here are some links:

TMC century project

vascular institute

medical plaza

Edited by sevfiv

• 1 month later...

hermanmemorialmedicalplaza.jpg

video link: click here

most interesting thing about this building is the latern feature:

The tower is crowned with a unique lighting feature extending 53 feet above roof level, providing a soft inviting glow visible at night for miles in all directions. During the day, the latern's inverted metal panels capture and reflect sunlight.

this has to be one of houston's most interesting architectural buildings in years. it is supposed to already be complete, but seems like they are still working on it.

that roofline reminds me of the great lit structures in new york and certainly helps draw attention (from a distance) to the medical center.

Edited by houstonmacbro

The "lantern" feature is indeed very cool. If you ride the rail north, sit in the last seat facing backwards and you can watch the light play on the building as you move away from it.

It looks like they're pretty much done with the exterior of the building (the cranes came down last week) but I imagine it will be quite a while before the interior is complete. The first 8 or 10 floors are parking, I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

This building is inoffensive and as bland as any from the Kirksey firm. They also did the new UT dorms on Knight Road and they're somewhat more successful.

I like the "lantern" on top of the building too but does anybody know how the contractor plans to remove that giant, white, triangular, three-story cement mixer sitting inside it?

This building is inoffensive and as bland as any from the Kirksey firm. They also did the new UT dorms on Knight Road and they're somewhat more successful.

I like the "lantern" on top of the building too but does anybody know how the contractor plans to remove that giant, white, triangular, three-story cement mixer sitting inside it?

It seemed a little different in the initial renderings. As it has been built, it is as though the crown is slightly smaller than the rest of the building, and that threw off the proportions somehow. Made the building seem more diminuitive. Like a burly adult male wearing a child's cap. If it had been fully executed, it would've been a gem.

The ground level facing MacGregor is very swanky looking. I wonder if it will have a Cambridge Street address in the future. I'm still trying to figure out why the city changed the original name (Outerbelt) and why it was named that anyway since it went in front of the original TMC institution, Hermann Hospital. Maybe the street was an afterthought, assuming the hospital faced the Fannin extension.

I think we need another pic from a different angle. A profile view.

I know what you are talking about. Sometimes the outer edges of the crown look to small or like they fall into the building, but at some angles it looks normal.

The best view is coming up MacGregor along the Bayou east of 288 when the sun is setting.