Here is a pic I took today of the building from Midtown. Contrary to what has been said in this thread, I think the building has made a good mark on the city compared to some recent buildings.

Click:

aav6.th.jpg

i think in terms of skyline interest, this building makes quite an impact for the medical center.

Here you go, ask and you shall recieve. :)

DSCN0464.jpg

DSCN0463.jpg

Look at all of those disgusting looking powerlines. It seems like Houston more than any other city has those powerlines sagging over the sidewalks. I wish the city buried those things under the sidewalks like the majority of other cities. It can make a nice area, like the one in these pictures, look a little run down.

• 2 weeks later...

I think last night was the first time they had the lighting on at the top. It's a rainbow affect which slowly pulsates, for lack of a better description.

If I remember tonight, I'll take a photo and post.

But it was a nice surprise, definitely unique, and should make a nice visual impact on the skyline. I have only seen it from very up close, but bet it looks good from far away as well.

i saw the lights last night, too...however, there was no movement - just pink, and a tinge of blue/purple on the edge.

the night before i swear it was all blue - probably in the "test" phase, though

like the building in general, i think it's tacky

Edited by sevfiv

Here is a pic I took today of the building from Midtown. Contrary to what has been said in this thread, I think the building has made a good mark on the city compared to some recent buildings.

Click:

aav6.th.jpg

I wonder if architects take into consideration what a tall structure will look like from ground level. I would think that they certainly would, but this one has a diabolical "carved pumpkin" look to it with those triangular "eyes" staring out at the city and, with the "lantern" on top, we've got the full-on halloween treatment, or could it be they're copying Ricco's HAIF user icon? :unsure: . Maybe they can add some teeth. Should we call it , "The Great Pumpkin"? Nice job, Charlie Brown. Not exactly the effect you'd want when designing a building for curing illnesses.

p.s. Thanks sevfiv for the link collection. I merged all but the 3rd one as that discusses several projects. However, your other links are now circular. :blush:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I heard there was supposed to be a bunch of retail/restaurants in this tower. I walked by it the other day when I was on my way home from Rice and I didn't see any retail, at least at ground level. Does anybody know what's up with that? Is the retail hidden away in the building or is it not open yet? I was hoping it would be at ground level. THe Chipotle / Starbucks at thee BCM building is so popular, it seems like somebody would try to copy that. I would love it because it would mean more eating options within walking distance of Rice (food at Rice isn't the best).

Any idea if it's supposed to be visible from the sidewalk, or is it tucked away inside the building somewhere? That kind of sucks that some of the retail is in the skywalk, but I guess it's better than nothing. I like the way they did the street level retail at BCM. Only problem is I only go there when I walk from Rice. When I am driving through it is absolutely impossible to stop and eat. It's always full of medical people though.

Some of the stores may be visable from the sidewalk, but you still have to walk inside the lobby area I believe to enter. If you are familiar with the Calpine Center in downtown, it is built the same way. I guess if they made the retail more inviting, they would have to make too many sidewalk alterations for aesthetic purposes. If you haven't noticed, some of the sidewalks on the northside of the Medical Center around the Hermann station are like neighborhood sidewalks.

Edited by WesternGulf