Avondale Promenade Park At 424 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

I walked by today. The forma that separate dog park part from rest of park are laid along with the beginnings of a fence 10” or so from brick 2 story wall of apartment next door.

That apartment brick wall was never part of any plan proposal but now thatI see it as a backdrop of the park fence! And eventually the porch swings that will be installed.........I wish  the owners of Apartment could have been contacted and proposed a huge mural courtesy of PWE; something bright  that could have “ told” the story of history and future of that space in that part of Houston.

alas

now I can only hope for some urban guerilla vine plantings to add a bit more green to the park.  Lol 

• Like 4

On 10/20/2020 at 6:48 PM, trymahjong said:

We were told those Park visitors with their canine friends Utilizing the dog park would act as a passive safety measure.

That makes sense.
And if there's an uptick in crime, try slipping your neighbors' dogs some mild laxatives as a precautionary measure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Walked the park again today.

that round thingy kids can climb is installed. And a piece of equipment to do pull ups on.

but I didn’t notice any structure for porch swings and didn’t notice any irrigation structure. There’s a rumor of artificial grass.....wondering about that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trymahjong said:

that round thingy kids can climb is installed. And a piece of equipment to do pull ups on.

but I didn’t notice any structure for porch swings and didn’t notice any irrigation structure. There’s a rumor of artificial grass.....wondering about that.

no excuse to use artificial turf here. I hope logic prevails and normal park Bermuda is used.

• Like 1

Houston has a Climate Action Plan with Chief Sustainability Officer Lara Cottingham heading it up. I have seen her PowerPoint presentation.

Perhaps this small  patch of land could be a lab of sorts for that plan.— There are a lot of goals in that plan. Finding a way to grow grass or an  alternative plant  or xeriscaping ( or whatever) on that small space and having it thrive; would be a big plus.

For that plan. A tangible something to point to when COH presents (and re-presents) the plan.

The PWE/COH seems spread a bit thin to maintain all green space in Houston. I really am hoping for a green green space. Once PWE finishes; maintenance isn’t always what you hope for.

But if this little space, can be a successful green space—- could become a beacon for environmental changes..... wow 

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 6:41 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I’m not against artificial turf since the look and feel has some a long way since the days in the Dome. 

Its like wearing a wig when you can have real hair.... an analogy: A wig may look good, but it is really seen as a preferable choice to real hair. 

Turf is one step closer to fake plants, fake trees, fake rocks... Parks, in my mind, should be about nature... Not a manicured faux nature that is just more plastic.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Avossos said:

Its like wearing a wig when you can have real hair.... an analogy: A wig may look good, but it is really seen as a preferable choice to real hair. 

Turf is one step closer to fake plants, fake trees, fake rocks... Parks, in my mind, should be about nature... Not a manicured faux nature that is just more plastic.

In general I tend to agree, the only time I'm okay with artificial turf in a park is when it's in a small area that's going to get a lot of traffic that would wear down real grass and you'd end up with packed dirt (which becomes mud after rain). But even then it's iffy, depending on the context. An example I can think of that does kinda make sense is in City Centre, where they have a patch of artificial turf in the main plaza that fronts Town and Country Boulevard. The patch of green is a nice break from all the buildings and concrete, but real grass wouldn't have worked there, both because of the amount of foot traffic that patch would get, and because of all the buildings preventing it from getting enough direct sunlight. And am I misremembering, or doesn't Discovery Green have some artificial turf on one of the smaller lawns over next to the Grove? But yeah, in a neighborhood park like this, I'm not a fan of artificial turf.

• Like 4

On 12/1/2020 at 8:00 AM, skooljunkie said:

Is artificial turf pervious? That’s a big no-no if not IMO.  I imagine there are a variety of installations but just don’t know. I’ve noticed more and more homeowners installing it for small yard spaces lately too. I think it’s ugly tbh. 

Yea, its usually placed over a draining stone aggregate base with a French drain at the bottom 

• Like 1

I think there are reasonable arguments to be made that artificial turf can be more environmentally friendly than live turf, depending on the installation and type of turn, of course.  Live turf can require a lot of supplemental water, fertilizer, insecticide etc, not to mention the expense of weekly maintenance.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I think there are reasonable arguments to be made that artificial turf can be more environmentally friendly than live turf, depending on the installation and type of turn, of course.  Live turf can require a lot of supplemental water, fertilizer, insecticide etc, not to mention the expense of weekly maintenance.

It's amazing grass can grow in the wilderness, being so needy and all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Avossos said:

It's amazing grass can grow in the wilderness, being so needy and all.

Do you seriously think grass growing in the wilderness has similar requirements to the grass we grow on lawns or that they are similar in any meaningful way?  

https://planitwild.com/blog/2019/1/25/whats-difference-between-native-grass-and-lawn-grass-arent-they-both-grass

Edited by Houston19514

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Do you seriously think grass growing in the wilderness has similar requirements to the grass we grow on lawns or that they are similar in any meaningful way?  

https://planitwild.com/blog/2019/1/25/whats-difference-between-native-grass-and-lawn-grass-arent-they-both-grass

it was sarcasm.

On 11/22/2020 at 7:47 PM, trymahjong said:

Talked with someone also walking by park who seems to think there will be no porch type swings. The idea didn’t pass approval at the state level. Pity, I thought the idea of sitting on a porch swing under the shade of a crepe myrtle tree, watching Montrose life going by on Westheimer; would be  what anyone could hope for during moments of reveries.................sigh.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Talked with someone also walking by park who seems to think there will be no porch type swings. The idea didn’t pass approval at the state level. Pity, I thought the idea of sitting on a porch swing under the shade of a crepe myrtle tree, watching Montrose life going by on Westheimer; would be  what anyone could hope for during moments of reveries.................sigh.

What state agency has jurisdiction over park design/construction? And why would a porch-style swing not pass approval?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 1:07 PM, Houston19514 said:

What state agency has jurisdiction over park design/construction? And why would a porch-style swing not pass approval?

Unsure about the agency, but maybe no swing because of liability reasons (breaks and someone is hurt, for example)? I would imagine swings requires upkeep, which requires some amount of vigilance to make sure someone checks on it every once in a while. That might not happen to the degree that would make some lawyer happy so she/he said "Do you really wanted X amount of potential liability for a park you're only spending X on?"

🤷‍♂️

Perhaps it's the design ("porch style swing") that's causing concern.
Midtown Park has single-occupant swings, but they allow the rider to easily hold on to the chains with both hands.
A porch style swing, if I'm picturing it correctly, is more like a suspended bench. Perhaps it's the lack of a place to grab on that's considered to be hazardous? 
Seems like nonsense to me, but in today's litigious society...

I think I was skeptical about the concept of “porch” type swings when it was mentioned at one of those community input meeting. There is quite a bit of mean spirited mischief in and around Avondale lately.

At that same meeting I seem to remember “ big planters for flowers” was totally taken off table because of 1) lack of water and 2) unreliable uhmmmm don’t know what words were used but basically COH didn’t think anyone would take care of flowers

Now after viewing. Irrigation for grass, I’m wondering irrigation tubes  couldn’t have been hooked up to a big planter or two.....? And I wasn’t the only person at that meeting that volunteered to look after any flowering plants. 

The park is great but I feel COH is a bit short sighted in what was planted and missed an opportunity.

Planting small  Texas native - butterfly/ bee friendly - flowers wouldn’t have required much more that rain water. At the time I was ignorant of that of that possibility.But after setting up my own Texas Native plants butterfly garden.......I’m wondering what’s  the penalty for guerrilla  butterfly gardening in public parks?🤔

Edited by trymahjong
Replaced word
  • Like 2

I am glad the Cedar trees were kept in the ROW but wonder about the amount of Shade the Crepe myrtle will generate fore the park benches? There are 70 year old Crepe myrtle within Avondale........none of them seem to warrant the label “Shade tree”😄

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went by park today. I had noticed 3 separate monuments ( maybe 12x12” 6 inches high or so) that I knew would be for the memorial, close to brick wall of apartment building.

it looks like one might be installed by pavilion? Other 2 MIA.

cOH was working on gas leak at alley entrance off Whitney.

cOH announced several park closings on TV yesterday— I’m thinking the opening of Avondale Promenade might be delayed.

• Like 3