Jump to content

University Of Texas President Supports Admitting UH Into The Big XII Conference


monarch

Recommended Posts

A tweet by an ESPN personality thought aloud that UH might concede to UTs expansion plans in Houston for entrance into the Big 12. I think UH could do big things if it gets in the Big 12. Really excited.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be great for the city. Way more out of town visitors will come and fill hotel rooms and eat out from the Big 12 than AAC. 

 

UH has sold around 23,000 season tickets + the 7,500 strong student section for games against Lamar, UConn, Tulsa, UCF, Tulane, and Louisville. Imagine a future schedule with Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Baylor, and Kansas State instead. They'd sell out every game.

 

Fingers crossed. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On July 22, 2016 at 8:46 PM, lockmat said:

A tweet by an ESPN personality thought aloud that UH might concede to UTs expansion plans in Houston for entrance into the Big 12. I think UH could do big things if it gets in the Big 12. Really excited.


That seems to be the motivation of the support. UH would definitely have a brighter future in a Power 5 conference, but I think UT would have the most to gain with the research campus. Either way, it would be nice to see it happen. Seems like a win-win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^^^ @Houston19514 this is why i love you my pal.  however, when it comes to the BIG10 and OK, they are not necessarily relying upon their academic excellence or (lack of)... they are relying upon their national gridiron prominence, money, and fandom.  trust me, OK is quite aware of this fact.  nonetheless, not only can the BIG10 acquire this whole package deal from TEXAS, we will undoubtedly end up being the immediate dominant force within the new conference upon entry..... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, monarch said:

^^^ @Houston19514 this is why i love you my pal.  however, when it comes to the BIG10 and OK, they are not necessarily relying upon their academic excellence or (lack of)... they are relying upon their national gridiron prominence, money, and fandom.  trust me, OK is quite aware of this fact.  nonetheless, not only can the BIG10 acquire this whole package deal from TEXAS, we will undoubtedly end up being the immediate dominant force within the new conference upon entry..... 

 

In spite of their national gridiron prominence, money and fandom, trust me, the BIG (10) will not take Oklahoma unless and until they get their academics up to a point where they get themselves admitted to the AAU.

Edited by Houston19514
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

^^^ @Houston19514 i cannot even begin to argue the yeas or nays upon this matter because it is entirely too complicated.  however, i only know what i am seeing / hearing on my end.  nonetheless, you and i shall just have to weather the enduring storm until the GOR's are officially up after 2024-25.  HOOK'EM!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, monarch said:

 

^^^ @Houston19514 i cannot even begin to argue the yeas or nays upon this matter because it is entirely too complicated.  however, i only know what i am seeing / hearing on my end.  nonetheless, you and i shall just have to weather the enduring storm until the GOR's are officially up after 2024-25.  HOOK'EM!  

 

There's really nothing complicated about it at all.  The BIG (10) will not invite OU to join them as long as OU is not a member of the AAU.  OU knows that and they have been trying to elevate their academics (as was said a few years ago, David Boren has been working hard to make the university worthy of its football team) but they started so very far behind and still have a ways to go, I'm afraid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, The Pragmatist said:

Hey, NU got an invite, and they aren't an AAU member. Maybe OU can be a non-AAU member too. The money provided by the program is definitely alluring. Of course, this may all just be speculation if the Big 12 can be made to work.

 

Ahhhh yes, but they were an AAU member when the Big (10) invited them.

Edited by Houston19514
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, barring some contract breaching, the Big 12 as it stands is probably here to stay until 2025 when the current agreements end.  As far as expansion, I'd be cool with UH joining but I don't know how all the BIG 8 schools would feel about adding another Texas school.  But sign me up for a Texas Tech - UH game here in town every other year!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Highrise Tower changed the title to University Of Texas President Supports Admitting UH Into The Big XII Conference
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, TheSirDingle said:

With the recent conference realignment news, and acceptance for that fact, I went dinging around for some of the old TDECU 60k renderings and plans. I'm hopping in the near future there's going to be a need to expand the stadium, although this should be a given if they're competitive in the BIG 12.

b89e78ab9afba8a096c1b00de1a802e98f019c36.jpg.d3876d6e286e0922a9d237dc98e99866.jpg

cf12a28f842774bf138bac7a8712b716bd4cb44d.jpg.22579ab205863ea6d6d8bceb5a2591ee.jpg

c46be952ad0e63e215086a734e60fb1a25956da2.thumb.jpg.7ba4b960dbd2fa422b8ade726c27f6e2.jpg

Also, does anybody have any other renderings of the expanded stadium; or just old renderings in general? 

Are these actual renderings or photoshop from the web?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I say no to expansion. TDECU is larger than Cincinnati's stadium and basically the same as Baylor and within 10,000 of TCU, Kansas, K State, and UCF. Expansion talk should only happen after 4-5 years of season sellouts. 

UH needs to finish the press level with more suites (there's room for 4-6 more suites) and add more chair backed seats. I'd like to see the entire lower bowl outside of the student section with chair backs and most of the 200 level. The biggest need is to add ramps to get to the upper deck and add restrooms and concessions on that level. The stairs are a brutal climb.

They could also work to add better landscaping around the stadium. There’s way too much concrete in and around the stadium. Maybe paint the UH logo on ground of the gates leading into the stadium? Something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1631278829685391.jpg

^^^check out our newly opened ($300mm+) DKR SEZ addition.  no other venue in the world has a custom designed, built in mascot... located within the stands itself.  actually, the new SEZ BEVO not only has custom LED lighting that you can now plainly reference.  however, the LED lighting design actually PULSATES whenever a touchdown occurs.  this is simply BEYOND cool...   

 

Edited by monarch
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

With the recent conference realignment news, and acceptance for that fact, I went dinging around for some of the old TDECU 60k renderings and plans. I'm hopping in the near future there's going to be a need to expand the stadium, although this should be a given if they're competitive in the BIG 12.

 

 

 

Also, does anybody have any other renderings of the expanded stadium; or just old renderings in general? 

even if they are not competitive, the good teams will draw the fans, and it might even be a clause of the invite.

but then, if the schedule aligns with NFL, they might just put some of the games that will draw a large crowd into NRG. if Baylor and UH are both supposed to be in the top 25 in a given year, yeah, that'll be in NRG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

No to NRG. The Tech/UH crowd last week would have easily fit inside TDECU and been a much better environment.

Personally, I love the pulsating LED lit uterus in Austin even if it is off-centered. 

^^^ when did you get to see it?

Edited by monarch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...