Emancipation Center: Dowling St. At Elgin St.

Urbannizer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, zaphod said:

It all looks very slick, especially the residential portion. The titled roof sections are better than the typical flat top apartment donut you see built most of the time here.

It makes it look more like individual townhouses than a large apartment complex; I agree it really improves the facade

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Emancipation Center: Dowling at Elgin St.
15 hours ago, iah77 said:

Maybe because it's name was changed illegally without the consent of property owners lol. 

Do property owners get to decide what the street is named? The name was removed because it was named after a losing officer from the conquered confederate army. The confederacy lost the war to hold slaves and this is a largely black neighborhood, I think they should have a choice in the name of their streets vs. some racists rednecks from the suburbs. Since when do losers get to have stuff named after them? 

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

According to the city, there's two ways to change a street name - either a citizen petition with 75% of the property owners on the street, or by city council passing an ordinance after notifying the owners.  Notably, the council don't need to get consent from the owners; the check on it is public pressure on council members to vote against it if it is too out there

https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Forms/devregs/StreetNameChangeProcedures-Standards.pdf

Edited by cspwal
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, cspwal said:

According to the city, there's two ways to change a street name - either a citizen petition with 75% of the property owners on the street, or by city council passing an ordinance after notifying the owners.  Notably, the council don't need to get consent from the owners; the check on it is public pressure on council members to vote against it if it is too out there

https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Forms/devregs/StreetNameChangeProcedures-Standards.pdf

I own two properties on the street and no one wanted it renamed that I know along the street. I don't care, I'm just mentioning on how the city does whatever it wants anyways in the end.