Emancipation Center: Dowling St. At Elgin St.

Urbannizer

I'm sure they have good intentions, but this is the same Midtown TIRZ group that has been buying up all of the property in the 3rd ward to supposedly 

build new housing and help keep the third ward livable. 

So right out of the box they go out and spend a bunch of money on office space and some community space, and all they can show for housing is 27 units.

Looks a little like someone is building themselves a fancy new office building but not much for housing. 

A little like putting the cart before the horse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for improving the 3rd ward,  but I cant help but think that Garnet Coleman will probably have an office on the top floor and we won't see much in housing built.

I still don't like that they have taken money from the Midtown TIRZ, to do all of this in the 3rd ward.

I do like the building over the sphere. The original design  would have been out dated before it was finished and I'm sure it would have been value engineered into a poorly crafted project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I'm sure they have good intentions, but this is the same Midtown TIRZ group that has been buying up all of the property in the 3rd ward to supposedly 

build new housing and help keep the third ward livable. 

So right out of the box they go out and spend a bunch of money on office space and some community space, and all they can show for housing is 27 units.

Looks a little like someone is building themselves a fancy new office building but not much for housing. 

A little like putting the cart before the horse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for improving the 3rd ward,  but I cant help but think that Garnet Coleman will probably have an office on the top floor and we won't see much in housing built.

I still don't like that they have taken money from the Midtown TIRZ, to do all of this in the 3rd ward.

I do like the building over the sphere. The original design  would have been out dated before it was finished and I'm sure it would have been value engineered into a poorly crafted project.

Its almost like....government has a difficult time putting their money where their mouth is. I'm shocked. Completely shocked. (I know this is a strawman, and over simplification, but the point still stands.)

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
Just now, thedistrict84 said:

TjeLV6Q.jpg

@Luminare is right, no activity as of today. You can’t even tell where the ceremonial groundbreaking occurred.

haha actually you can. Look a little closer at the center behind the sign. See where there is extra tall grass? Thats the fresh dirt/mulch they used for the groundbreaking that caused that. Its the grass growing on top of the mound along with the fresh dirt/soil.

1 minute ago, Luminare said:

haha actually you can. Look a little closer at the center behind the sign. See where there is extra tall grass? Thats the fresh dirt/mulch they used for the groundbreaking that caused that. Its the grass growing on top of the mound along with the fresh dirt/soil.

Good point, didn’t think of that. My avid-gardener mother would be disappointed to know that I missed that detail. 

Was expecting something a little closer to the street. Huh.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its amazing how much activity is taking place from Elgin to 45 and west of emancipation to 59.

Also drove down Gray yesterday and saw the new protected bike lanes. Pretty exciting.

They still had some orange barricades around but cyclist were on the trails anyway.

Every little bit helps!

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

Its amazing how much activity is taking place from Elgin to 45 and west of emancipation to 59.

Also drove down Gray yesterday and saw the new protected bike lanes. Pretty exciting.

They still had some orange barricades around but cyclist were on the trails anyway.

Every little bit helps!

Saw that as well. I hope they finish that all the way to Bagby St.

I really wonder what kind of impact this will have. Emancipation has a lot of potential to be the next big thing, but hasn't really taken off like I thought it would. Yeah there has been more residential coming online, but not the retail explosion like we've been seeing in the heights.

I think they're going to need to see more new residential before we see much growth in retail. I also think that McGowen has a whole lot of promise in the future.

The section in Midtown is really developing a nice vibe and I see it moving east. I know it will be a long time before it happens, but keep an eye out for McGowen and Emancipation

to come on strong in the future.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks to beerNut I found this thread. As I was mentioning on another thread this thing is close to topping out and its nice to see a steel structure for a change instead of reinforced concrete. I remember back in the big building boom in the late 70's early eighties there were several skyscrapers that went up built out of steel, including the 70 story Wells Fargo building. Something about steel construction always seemed more interesting, at least to me.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...