The Allen: Allen Pkwy/Gillette Mixed Use 6 acres

1 hour ago, AREJAY said:

Surprise! it's a Mattress Firm 

Game-changer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Looks like fiberglass.

Looks more like a custom fabricated metal panel. I know one said that they were doing some value engineering on the first phase, but if they are putting this much effort to make this lease office look fancy....I just don't see them doing that much value engineering.

• Like 3

Upon further examination. You can notice that the look and style of this paneling is similar to the look that they are going to do for the one commercial component. Might be a good first look at what that smaller building will look like once they start it.

• Like 3

On 12/18/2018 at 9:10 AM, C List said:

You also need to understand how a project gets financed. The initial renderings are nothing more than marketing especially for a project like this. I'm almost 100% positive this is an EB-5 equity financed project, meaning the initial renderings are shown to thousands of wealthy Asian/African investors to draw them in. Under this program, the foreign national must invest $500,000 or $1 million in exchange for an expedited green card process, depending on where the project is located. So you are showing these renderings to nonprofessional real estate investors whose primary focus is not on their money but being allowed into the US. Now, this first phase is probably a 100-200-million-dollar project if not more, which means you have to find a LOT of foreign investors to put up money before a construction loan even becomes a possibility. 

Once the developer gets close to putting shovels in the ground he is 100% not going to build the marketing renderings; he has no incentive too. The great thing about EB-5 is the cost of equity is almost nothing, like a 2% return to the foreign investors with no definitive timeline on when that money will get returned. A developer like Hines or Hanover will have a cost of equity around 14-20%, a huge difference!  So you over promise and under deliver, because if you can get anything built that looks halfway decent and leases up, you as the developer, will be swimming in money once you sell.

I'm not able to read through this because its locked behind a paywall. Warning! This is not for this development, but since what happened with another developer involves foreign investment that means its on topic and will probably on topic with other developments with similar financing. With that being said....holy cow! I was a bit skeptical of this persons comment about foreign investment until I found this headline this morning...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/foreigners-funded-houston-development-to-get-green-cards-they-were-duped-sec-says-11546956000

If anyone has a wsj sub and is willing to provide the transcript I would definitely appreciate it. Interested in reading the rest and not just the headline.

Totally forgot to post, this is from Dec. 20 when I was taking a bike ride. Soil samples happening in NE corner of lot.

73OeIRp.jpg

kOGayLY.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

I'm not able to read through this because its locked behind a paywall. Warning! This is not for this development, but since what happened with another developer involves foreign investment that means its on topic and will probably on topic with other developments with similar financing. With that being said....holy cow! I was a bit skeptical of this persons comment about foreign investment until I found this headline this morning...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/foreigners-funded-houston-development-to-get-green-cards-they-were-duped-sec-says-11546956000

If anyone has a wsj sub and is willing to provide the transcript I would definitely appreciate it. Interested in reading the rest and not just the headline.

Found some screenshots of the story on another forum: http://www.andhrafriends.com/topic/786199-foreigners-funded-houston-development-to-get-eb-5-green-cards-they-were-duped-sec-says/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Apparently this is in need of some serious reform. Unfortunately it seems like its another one of those items where both sides of the aisle would like to do something about it, but when each party takes power they seem to kick the can down the road in order to use it themselves. With that being said, I'm nearly 100% confident that every other nation probably has a backdoor through the process like this. While its been mostly used by Chinese investors to get into the US, I'm pretty confident that China has the exact same thing, but in reverse for US investors.

• Like 1

They are putting some serious work into this sales office. Pretty impressive!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

They are putting some serious work into this sales office. Pretty impressive!

^^^ it's the AMBASSADOR of this project.  therefore, it must be perfect!

• Like 4

On 1/10/2019 at 10:31 AM, Luminare said:

Apparently this is in need of some serious reform. Unfortunately it seems like its another one of those items where both sides of the aisle would like to do something about it, but when each party takes power they seem to kick the can down the road in order to use it themselves. With that being said, I'm nearly 100% confident that every other nation probably has a backdoor through the process like this. While its been mostly used by Chinese investors to get into the US, I'm pretty confident that China has the exact same thing, but in reverse for US investors.

I doubt many US investors get Chinese citizenship.

^^ There is a long sting above you request that will tell you as much as anybody knows about what is going on. 

• Like 1

I guess it’s safe to assume they want to do things right with the amount of work they’re putting in their leasing office. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SMU1213 said:

They're redesigning. Building a lot less retail (still plenty) and a lot more residential. 

Hopefully no loss of height or number of highrises! 

• Like 2

On 12/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, West Timer said:

Give it to the Vy troll. She's the one that can't stop the pointless bitching about Houston. Unlike her, I can afford to live anywhere I want and I think Houston is fabulous and getting more fabulous by the day.

But I guess I'm probably being too insensitive. Really, I have nothing but pity for those poor pathetic losers who are handcuffed to places they would rather not be and aren't smart enough to be able to figure out how to do anything about it except whine about it on the internet and then proceed to blame our great city for their own personal issues and shortcomings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, hindesky said:

QrJjN8M.jpg

Starting to look like a leasing office I can get behind. Wonder how long it will take before they start breaking ground on the towers?

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 10:35 AM, H-Town Man said:

Thanks for this.

More information in the news on EB-5 -> With the amount of scrutiny on EB-5 I wouldn't be surprised if this project gets further delayed.

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/capital-markets/eb5-mastroianni-usif-brook-lenfest-doug-litowitz-defamation-lawsuit-chinese-97342?&utm_source=outbound_pub_68&utm_campaign=outbound_issue_772&utm_content=outbound_link_1&utm_medium=email

And if you look here below you can find renderings for the Marlow, Hotel Allesandra, Kirby Collection, Arabella and more

https://eb5projects.com/projects?utf8=✓&investment_type_id=-1&open=&verified=-1&state=Texas&name=&commit=Search&project_category_id=-1&regional_center_id=-1&size=-1&documents_available=-1&videos_available=-1

image.png.4f305903977516495ae44158218e7a89.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

For the record, there were a number of references to the small building as being a "leasing office."  This is probably going to be a sales office for the condos. 

Sorry, couldn't help but point this out.
From the Biznow article: "a Chinese-American woman named Zoe Ma, engaged in "wonton [sic] fraudulent behavior,"
Not clear on how much she made; it was a dim sum.

Edited by dbigtex56
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Wow..... I think you should both have your funny bone licenses taken away. Sometimes its better to resist the temptation. No encore performances..... please.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 9:53 AM, TBooze said:

Wow..... I think you should both have your funny bone licenses taken away. Sometimes its better to resist the temptation. No encore performances..... please.

Sorry, no.
The LOL's outnumber the Booze.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Say what you will about RD... But he is a bit of a pioneer. He goes to the areas we all say "we need to have something here" and builds something. Other developers tend to follow along.

I am hopeful the new design is still striking. I would love for the buildings around Buffalo Bayou to have significant architectural integrity, as they will be in plain sight for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

I hate to sound like a downer, but I am not looking forward to the new design... I imagine it will be seriously value-engineered, similar to the way they reduced the glass exterior at Arabella.  Especially with all the recent bad news surrounding the EB-5 program, which is how DC finances its projects.

I hope I'm wrong, but I really have a hard time thinking this design will be equal to or better than the original.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

54 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

I hate to sound like a downer, but I am not looking forward to the new design... I imagine it will be seriously value-engineered, similar to the way they reduced the glass exterior at Arabella.  Especially with all the recent bad news surrounding the EB-5 program, which is how DC finances its projects.

I hope I'm wrong, but I really have a hard time thinking this design will be equal to or better than the original.

I'm feeling the same way, hope I'm wrong, but it's just a gut feeling.

12 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

Well I suspect you must know something.

That shall prevent me from starting a GoFundMe campaign in the Fourth Ward for the $40 million required to make it super sexy.

I’d already got commitments for $83.

Ah well, that’s Houston. But that’s why I like it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Well I suspect you must know something.

That shall prevent me from starting a GoFundMe campaign in the Fourth Ward for the $40 million required to make it super sexy.

I’d already got commitments for $83.

Ah well, that’s Houston. But that’s why I like it.

I believe getting lots of the average thing now is an incremental step to getting amazing in the decades to come. In the meantime, I hope that roads, rail, water, utilities, and parks are developed to embrace the greatness at the tipping point, hint...city leaders we know that the Woodlands can master plan so pick up that book and think about it for urban cores or whatever better example exists. It is ironic that the most unplanned city in America is ringed by several of the best master planned suburbs in the country. Woodlands, Kingwood, etc.

Edited by Timoric
  • Like 1

But unfortunately there is no place to hide a hideous disaster on the Bayou if it is value engineered. These are special tracts that will affect the overall image of downtown. Plus they'll block out downtown from the west.  And if Randall Davis is involved that means we will have something proposed in renderings, and then the real deal which will look nothing like the renderings.

I know they are building a very detailed leasing office but that doesn't mean anything. If you go down to the area around the old Rainbow Lodge site, you will find a very well constructed leasing office for a now defunct project called the Orion. The developer now lives in this leasing office. I went to his birthday party there and it wasn't a cheap  building.

• Like 2

Can anything be worse than Memorial by Windsore and the housing project next door lol?