skooljunkie

The Allen: Allen Pkwy/Gillette Mixed Use 6 acres

Recommended Posts

lockmat    1,965
2 hours ago, ajgallion said:

I live in the apartments butting up to the development and saw a group of men in business attire walking across the lot the other morning. They looked to have rolls of plans with them and we pointing around chatting... but I’m not sure what that could mean. 

 

Making plans for the future Kickball field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luminare    1,570
11 hours ago, ajgallion said:

I live in the apartments butting up to the development and saw a group of men in business attire walking across the lot the other morning. They looked to have rolls of plans with them and we pointing around chatting... but I’m not sure what that could mean. 

 

When the suits are out. Its a dead give away that its the architects, developer, and client.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlindTiger    0
17 minutes ago, LBC2HTX said:

 

Groundbreaking Q4 2018. 

 

http://dcpartnersusa.com/properties/the-allen/

 

 

 

That would be very welcome news.  I'm skeptical about the groundbreaking given how long this project has been waiting already, but given that they announced groundbreaking for 4Q 18 in 4Q 18 it makes me think they are ready and will follow through. Fingers crossed but cautiously optimistic. 

 

Something tells me that vacant lot on Dallas next to the cemetery doesn't stay vacant long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
H-Town Man    2,298
40 minutes ago, BlindTiger said:

 

That would be very welcome news.  I'm skeptical about the groundbreaking given how long this project has been waiting already, but given that they announced groundbreaking for 4Q 18 in 4Q 18 it makes me think they are ready and will follow through. Fingers crossed but cautiously optimistic. 

 

Something tells me that vacant lot on Dallas next to the cemetery doesn't stay vacant long. 

 

Agreed. It says Phase 1 groundbreaking... do we know what is in Phase 1?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luminare    1,570
59 minutes ago, BlindTiger said:

 

That would be very welcome news.  I'm skeptical about the groundbreaking given how long this project has been waiting already, but given that they announced groundbreaking for 4Q 18 in 4Q 18 it makes me think they are ready and will follow through. Fingers crossed but cautiously optimistic. 

 

Something tells me that vacant lot on Dallas next to the cemetery doesn't stay vacant long. 

 

My guess something got held up at permitting and considering how massive this development is...I assume that it took longer than expected. I thought that at the pace some of these developments were flying out of the permitting office that it would have started this summer, but that was probably a bit too optimistic considering projects that there are much smaller projects at my firm that are taking enormous amounts of time to get out. I wouldn't even be surprised if they had to do some slight alterations given the current climate regarding flooding and with this being such close proximity to the bayou I'm sure that took some time to get over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
swtsig    2,326
4 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

 

Agreed. It says Phase 1 groundbreaking... do we know what is in Phase 1?

 

 

pretty sure it's the thompson hotel/condo and "lifestyle center" that connects to the park via walkway. might include some retail as well, can't remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thatguysly    388
4 hours ago, Luminare said:

 

My guess something got held up at permitting and considering how massive this development is...I assume that it took longer than expected. I thought that at the pace some of these developments were flying out of the permitting office that it would have started this summer, but that was probably a bit too optimistic considering projects that there are much smaller projects at my firm that are taking enormous amounts of time to get out. I wouldn't even be surprised if they had to do some slight alterations given the current climate regarding flooding and with this being such close proximity to the bayou I'm sure that took some time to get over. 

 

And Harris County permitting floodplain requirements changed at the start of 2018 following Harvey. You are probably right that adjustments had to be made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LBC2HTX    85
On 5/11/2018 at 3:05 PM, LBC2HTX said:

A few months ago a friend, who works at Equinox, and another friend, who works at Stream Realty, both told me that Equinox will be opening their second Houston location here. That should be an indication of the quality of retail they’re seeking and that this project is definitely moving forward. 

xs4caTI.jpg&key=07a02261ed4522f1db4579f3b609323e9fd67b2315279576a0fd2bd8cb5693a4You can in fact, see the Equinox signage on the second floor of the retail building. 

 

I can almost guarantee that the "lifestyle center" apart of Phase I will be Equinox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sky-guy    151
3 hours ago, BlindTiger said:

Are any of the towers included in phase 1?

This is from April of 2017, so it may not be up to date:

 

Phase one of the project will include a luxury hotel and condominium tower, retail pavilion and office building with more than 200,000 square feet of space.”

 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/04/26/renderings-revealed-for-new-luxurymixed-use.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
samagon    2,204

it's going to take a while to build if all they have is that one piece of equipment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Triton    9,105
3 hours ago, samagon said:

it's going to take a while to build if all they have is that one piece of equipment.

 

Even with one piece, it will still probably finish before Dolce Living on West Gray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luminare    1,570
Posted (edited)

Looks more like the digger is lost. Like it got separated from the rest of its digger family.

Edited by Luminare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skooljunkie    222
10 hours ago, Triton said:

 

Even with one piece, it will still probably finish before Dolce Living on West Gray.

 

Haha---Dolce deserves a little more respect. Le Palais on W. Gray started a full year before, and it's still under construction. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WestGrayGuy    4

Let's hope the Allen goes the way of Alta West Gray rather than Dolce Living or Le Palais. I am personally jazzed about the possibility of an Equinox in the neighborhood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, talltexan83 said:

Do the plans still include a pedestrian bridge over Allen Pkwy?  I think that would be a cool feature.

 

Pedesestrian bridge was unnecessary. Use the crosswalk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cloud713    3,580
4 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

Looks like they nixed it last rendering I saw.  I could be wrong. 

 

I noticed that too.. too bad.

I agree that it wasn’t “necessary”, escapecially with the new Allen parkway pedestrian improvements, but there was just something cool about the idea of a private developer directly tying in their project to Buffalo Bayou Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobruss    3,095

It looks great on paper. Now, we have to hope it gets built. They're already into the 4th quarter of 2018 so now its time to see some boots on the ground!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Urbannizer    33,406
30 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Transwestern sent out an email about leasing space in the Allen today.  The downloadable brochure below was included:

 

https://download.transwestern.com/flyers/Houston/retail/flyers/The Allen/TheAllen_Brochure.pdf 

 

There’s some new info mentioned in the brochure

 

- 41,800 sq ft movie theater (8 rooms)

- Rooftop helipad for the high-rise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
H-Town Man    2,298

Interesting line at the bottom says "For Investment Opportunties [sic], Please Contact," and then there are two names with "eb5" in their e-mail addresses. I wonder if they have all their financing yet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
houstontexasjack    1,227
1 minute ago, H-Town Man said:

Interesting line at the bottom says "For Investment Opportunties [sic], Please Contact," and then there are two names with "eb5" in their e-mail addresses. I wonder if they have all their financing yet?

 

From what was previously discussed, it sounded as though they were ready to go on the tallest building but would flesh the rest out later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ajgallion    39

Looks like some more progress on site. Not sure what is going on. Any thoughts? They’ve only been working on the southwest portion of the land.

DD7D056D-C8BD-4BD2-9049-46D16E803B46.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Urbannizer    33,406
2 minutes ago, C List said:

Probably the leasing center for the Condo's

 

Thats what I’m thinking as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Angostura    518

Doesn't look like the kind of foundation you'd pour for a 20-story building, but it seems too big to just be a sales office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlindTiger    0
3 hours ago, Angostura said:

Doesn't look like the kind of foundation you'd pour for a 20-story building, but it seems too big to just be a sales office.

Likewise, I am confused as to what this will be fore as it does not look like what you'd expect for a tower foundation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Naviguessor    1,441

As suggested earlier in the thread. Maybe this will just be a leasing office, or construction office. Makes sense to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobruss    3,095

I thought they were putting in a christmas tree lot at first, before I saw the last image of the foundation mattes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
htownbro    231
11 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

Game changer 

 

it's coming up slowly but surely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobruss    3,095

I'll get excited when I see an actual building go up.

Go down to Dunlavy and Allen Parkway where there stands a wonderful leasing office thats been there for almost ten years and what does Regents Square have to show for that leasing office? 

Not much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlindTiger said:

 

So this is confirmed a leasing office?

 

I don't think anyone has confirmed yet, but it almost certainly looks like a leasing office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
H-Town Man    2,298
1 minute ago, bobruss said:

I'll get excited when I see an actual building go up.

Go down to Dunlavy and Allen Parkway where there stands a wonderful leasing office thats been there for almost ten years and what does Regents Square have to show for that leasing office? 

Not much.

 

I was wondering why they needed such a heavy foundation for a leasing office (instead of a lightweight post/beam) but I guess this is a good example.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Purdueenginerd    767

Thats a pretty light foundation actually. Grade beams and a slab on grade. Dont have any pictures showing drilled piers, but this foundation looks like something youd see for a residential building. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luminare    1,570
28 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Thats a pretty light foundation actually. Grade beams and a slab on grade. Dont have any pictures showing drilled piers, but this foundation looks like something youd see for a residential building. 

 

My thoughts exactly. Was wondering what you might have to say about it. Looks like a slab you would see out in the burbs for a 1-2 story single fam. Once they do build what they want to build it's not exactly going to cost an arm and a leg to demo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
H-Town Man    2,298
41 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Thats a pretty light foundation actually. Grade beams and a slab on grade. Dont have any pictures showing drilled piers, but this foundation looks like something youd see for a residential building. 

 

Why do you need a permanent foundation for a leasing office? Why not just do concrete blocks and posts on top of the ground instead of pouring concrete into the ground? Like a construction office. I'm sure the answer is, because leasing offices have to look/feel nicer, but still think it's silly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now