Sign in to follow this  
HtownWxBoy

Chase Tower Sky Lobby Closed

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/The-Sky-Lobby-at-Chase-Tower-is-now-closed-to-the-8315663.php

"The 60th floor Sky Lobby at the Chase Tower in Downtown Houston has recently closed to the public, according to a representative.  According to a representative, the closure is permanent and was done in the interest of the building's tenants."

Well damn... I kept putting off going there thinking it would always be open.  

Edited by BeerNut
  • Like 1

The one cool, family friendly thing to do Downtown... 

Oh well, Wells Fargo is still accessible. Could always pretend to be interested in booking an event on top of 1 Shell Plaza for a "tour" and sneak some pics.

46 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Oh well, Wells Fargo is still accessible. Could always pretend to be interested in booking an event on top of 1 Shell Plaza for a "tour" and sneak some pics.

Seriously?  There are now no cool family friendly things to do downtown?  Get a grip, dude.

23 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Seriously?  There are now no cool family friendly things to do downtown?  Get a grip, dude.

If there was a pie chart of my opinion (get a grip if you don't agree), of cool things to do Downtown, and family friendly things, the only small sliver in the middle would be the sky lobbies.

aquarium? Sports games? Water feature in Disco Green? Bowling? City Hall Visitor's center? Uncool.

Sky Lobbies? Cool.

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

http://www.chron.com/homes/commercial/article/Some-of-Houston-s-best-views-are-going-private-4735971.php

At Wells Fargo Plaza, 1000 Louisiana, two-story "sky lobbies" on the 34/35th and 57/58th floors are no longer open to the public.

Did they reverse course on that?

You've got to be freaking kidding me.. The one "legitimate" observation deck this city still has left, and they decide to close it? Ugh.

I used to not really care for the idea of building an observation tower in Houston, but at this point I would welcome one.

• Like 1

Coworker at Williams Tower told me the observation deck there is still open to the public... didn't know that...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Triton said:

Coworker at Williams Tower told me the observation deck there is still open to the public... didn't know that...

....There's an observation deck at Williams Tower?? Am I the only one on here who didn't know this?

8 minutes ago, brijonmang said:

....There's an observation deck at Williams Tower?? Am I the only one on here who didn't know this?

I haven't been there either so cant confirm it's actually open to the public. I've only been to our offices there.

There used to be an observation deck on the 51st floor that faced towards the west. It was later closed to the public, and I think the space has been leased out. The only observation deck I can think of around town isn't really even in the city: the San Jacinto Monument.

Edited by The Pragmatist

I actually went to the Chase Tower Skylobby in June 2012 and it has a great view of the city.

I believe the best place to erect an observation tower would be where the Estates at Memorial Heights Apartments are currently located, If they put METRORail on Washington headed towards bullet train station from downtown. The tower would be located just across the bayou from the Ismaili Center and in between Lower Heights district and Regent Square with undindered views of downtown and all the glory of Buffalo Bayou. Not to mention capture every skyline and even the new beltway bridge. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZRFkris said:

I believe the best place to erect an observation tower would be where the Estates at Memorial Heights Apartments are currently located, If they put METRORail on Washington headed towards bullet train station from downtown. The tower would be located just across the bayou from the Ismaili Center and in between Lower Heights district and Regent Square with undindered views of downtown and all the glory of Buffalo Bayou. Not to mention capture every skyline and even the new beltway bridge. 

The above comment came out of deep left field .....

Why do you think someone would build a standalone observation tower in Houston???   I would hardly think such a thing would be economically viable even matched with a restaurant and a communication antenna array (typical features where they have been built when a major Exposition was also occuring).  A better and less expensive idea would be to operate a "blimp" and sell rides, but I digress ......

Edited by Toopicky
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, ZRFkris said:

Would you settle for this instead?

bcEEQSz.jpg

zAmKW5c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a lot more to the hypothetical plan than a stand alone observation tower. 

Nothing wrong with left field either.

50 minutes ago, ZRFkris said:

There is a lot more to the hypothetical plan than a stand alone observation tower. 

Nothing wrong with left field either.

Elaborate then .... you just mentioned an observation tower

Edited by Toopicky

2 hours ago, ZRFkris said:

Yeah no thanks I feel like you’re too picky 

LOL

That's fine with me .... it's plain you had no ideas other than to say 'build one'.  The Chase Tower observation lobby didn't draw enough people to justifying keeping it open and that was (or at least was at one time) free. I am all for development but the city has no money to throw around on such a project and for anyone else it has to make economic sense .... this has none. Help Houston get a World Fair and it might get built sort of like Knoxville did in 1982 ..... it too is free has a  tens of visitors a day.

5a0cc50860d07.image.jpg?resize=750,500

People might not like my candor, but if they think about it they too would most likely agree.

Edited by Toopicky

The actual reason the 600 Louisiana observation lobby closed to the public is because the tour buses began bringing tourists in, disrupting the businesses on that floor.

• Like 3

I'd still kill for a destination observation experience of some kind downtown, and something with real kinetics would be the kicker.  

I'd demo Avenida de las Americas between Capitol and Texas (at the old, proposed Nau Center lot), and center a tower or wheel attraction on the pedestrian Avenida.  

Dopey me would group it with a flying theater attraction ( a la "Wings over Washington":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTVVuin0VTw&list=PLZ4DzRrHWnmIzJZvn4MEUY2myD9LzMNwO&index=4 ), and a large, adventure mirror maze showcasing Houston history ( http://mirrormazesint.com/ ).  

I'd otherwise love for Houston to get the first SkySpire:  http://www.usthrillrides.com/products/skyspire/. (or, via ThrillCorp, whose Thrillocity is intriguing: http://www.thrillcorp.com/products/ ) 

Years back, a sorta-French Quarter-themed one was proposed for New Orleans:  https://www.cladglobal.com/CLADnews/architecture-design/Skyspire-and-Conrad-Hotel-touted-for-New-Orleans-World-Trade-Center-redevelopment/314620?source=grid

And not surprisingly, a developer has been trying to get a "Skyplex" going in Orlando:  https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/12/14/skyplex-developer-look-to-2018-for-lots-of.html .

Edited by txtiger
  • Like 3

The only real observation deck we have open to the public is Raven Tower at WOMH. lol

• Like 1