AC Hotel By Marriott At 723 Main St.

Urbannizer

39 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

This is a very interesting article. The developer is claiming that the old facade was heavily compromised when they put up the current cladding 50 years ago, and there wouldn't be much left to restore. Then the Texas Historical Commission establishes a guideline that a building must be at least 50 years old to be considered historic, which I assume would help the developer apply for the redevelopment grant. 

I have an issue with taking the developers word for it, since not doing the full restoration and still getting the grant probably helps their business case quite a bit. 

Like I said, the "restoration" at the JW Marriott wasn't a "restoration", it was a re-creation. The original facade of that building was so messed up that they had to strip it down to the frame and rebuild it to a facade similar to the original. I suppose that the Marriott could've done a full restoration without just stripping everything and starting over, but it would've been uneconomically expensive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunstar said:

This is a very interesting article. The developer is claiming that the old facade was heavily compromised when they put up the current cladding 50 years ago, and there wouldn't be much left to restore. Then the Texas Historical Commission establishes a guideline that a building must be at least 50 years old to be considered historic, which I assume would help the developer apply for the redevelopment grant. 

I have an issue with taking the developers word for it, since not doing the full restoration and still getting the grant probably helps their business case quite a bit. 

I think the article states the developer went to the Texas Historical Commissikn and the State is the one who said that and recommended only restoring it to the 1966 look, not the other way around.

so the blame goes to the state. I guess the developer doesn't want to do what the JW Marriot did. "Restoring" it like JW did is probably more expensive than pulling the new facade off and just touching up the original, even though the 1966 look is awful, even if it is a "period piece"

• Like 1

I'd imagine the state recommended against doing what the JW Marriott did, which would almost certainly be cheaper than actually restoring the building to its original appearance.

I actually don't think the 1966 skin is that bad, especially if they can brighten it up a bit.

• Like 2

The more sq footage taken out from the commercial side and converted to hotel or residential,  then the lower our vacancy rate for office space which gives us more chances for new commercial building.

It's a win win.

Preservationists get to keep our history and modernist get new shiny buildings. 

• Like 1

Getting some light under the awnings and having windows with activity behind them adjacent to the sidewalk works wonders.

I was looking at it earlier today and noticed that the white marble looks to be in pretty rough shape.  With any amount of luck fixing that won't take as long as it took to reskin the Chron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

http://archpaper.com/2016/09/houston-architectural-preservation-hotels/

Bar-Center-IMG_2237.jpg

The developers claimed to be surprised that the Texas Historical Commission recommended not to go back to the 1914 and 1916 originals, but rather to rehabilitate the 1966 curtain wall. The logic for this decision was twofold: First, the slipcover is fifty years old, a critical threshold for historic consideration, and second, the building’s original facade was so damaged during Slater’s remodeling that the missing ornament would have to be almost entirely reconstructed. According to the developer, this will be the first time that such a slipcover has been intentionally preserved in Texas. This approach has raised the ire of no less an authority than architectural historian Stephen Fox who complained that the Texas Historical Commission was using “twisted logic to preserve a mediocre exterior.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can see both sides of the argument for using the bland 1960s facade or not.  As with 806 Main the original facade is probably in very bad shape.  So what would be interesting would be to remove some sections of the current facade to show the original.  Make it look like strips of the new facade have been peeled off, like peeling the top layer of wallpaper.  It would make an interesting effect.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Subdude said:

I can see both sides of the argument for using the bland 1960s facade or not.  As with 806 Main the original facade is probably in very bad shape.  So what would be interesting would be to remove some sections of the current facade to show the original.  Make it look like strips of the new facade have been peeled off, like peeling the top layer of wallpaper.  It would make an interesting effect.

This is a very clever idea. I've seen this done with other older buildings and it can be a very interesting look.

It is a somewhat handsome building. And I have no faith in today's average developer to do a good job replacing historic ornament (stars, anyone?). I like the idea of removing some of it just for curiosity's sake, but then you compromise an overall handsome composition, as seen in Urb's pic. It is hard for a tacked-on skin to look legitimate; this one actually pulls it off.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, rechlin said:

Yes, I first noticed the curtains earlier this week.  May be unrelated to the development, though, as I'm sure they'll gut the place before beginning work.

You're right, they didnt look related to construction. They look really old and thin, too. Really odd because of the kind they are and the timing. Strange, but probably irrelevant. 

Actually I took a peek in there on Friday night and it looked like a fully-built-out bar, complete with liquor bottles and everything.  I tried to take a picture but it just didn't turn out.

Last year a TABC license application sign was up there but I assumed that never panned out, so this is all very strange.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Boy, I hope this comes to pass.  Great location both for visitors to Houston (who want an "urban experience": dodging panhandlers, grifters, addicts, and the ( sadly) insane). Visitors who are normally sane may enjoy and unwind with the great nightlife on Main -- letting their brain cells submit to an over-infusion of ethanol.  Generally this makes a memorable business trip for those from Stepfordville.  They can go home, talk about the nice hotel, the walk to the bars, the hangover, and the grifters, panhandlers, addicts, and insane..... many from Stepfordville will be jealous and will want to come.  Some may even book  trips here  to "keep up with the Jones."

all good.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

The plywood was because people kept throwing (and breaking) glass liquor bottles into the gated entryway, and this stops that.  The sign for the "VENUE" that used to be there has been painted over, too.  So hopefully this means things have started!

• 3 months later...