Bella Heights: 8-Story Condominiums At 829 Yale St.

Urbannizer

4 hours ago, DMR said:

I am surprised this project complied with C.O.H. impervious area requirements. It's projects like these that adversely effect our flooding problems. 

No, it's boundless greenfield suburban development that exacerbates our flooding problems. The relentless expansion of the White Oak Bayou floodplain into the Heights isn't because of development in the Heights – it's because of what's happening all the way past Beltway 8.

Blaming a single high-density building for exacerbating flooding is like claiming the Ashby high-rise creates traffic – the effect is negligible, and ironically, the development in question is part of the solution, not the problem.

• Like 6

It is comical to me when multifamily or condo developments are called out as being the cause of a particular problem when the truth is development in the entire region causes the issue. So, yeah, I'd have to agree with lithium about the NIMBY plays used with traffic and flooding--I'd add schools to that list. The Tower of Traffic will add cars to Bissonnet, but the tens of thousands of added housing units and millions of square feet of medical/office/retail space within a five mile radius is the root of the traffic problems for the two lane road that is basically a transportation funnel between Southwest Freeway and Rice University. Is the density a problem though? If we didn't add people in the city, we'd just be developing more hinterland and causing even worse flooding and a greater need for new roads.

Each watershed is different. The truth is the White Oak watershed is nearly 100% built out save for a few larger tracts of land inside Beltway 8. Even the suburban areas outside the Beltway are developed. Yeah, more land should have been saved in the 100- and 500- year flood plain. Unfortunately, time machines and common sense wands haven't been invented yet. The White Oak watershed will need changes at both the lot level and infrastructure rehab level to make a difference. Blaming this particular lot for exacerbating flooding doesn't make sense since it was mostly impervious to begin with, but lot-based regulations can make a difference long-term--the problem is it will take too long on its own in an already built out watershed. The city does require storm water detention in various ways. I do not know city code backwards and forward, but I do know that many new infill developments require storm water detention under driveways if it can't be provided in a basin. Just because you can't see a hole in the ground, doesn't mean water isn't being detained during heavy rains by storm pipes. One could easily argue that new development with storm water detention above or below ground will actually hold back more water in a subtropical downpour than a half-paved lot with a clay soil parking lot that has been compacted for the last 70 years.

Flood control in other watersheds that still have undeveloped land should be approached slightly differently. The Addicks Reservoir, Cypress Creek, and Spring Creek watersheds have land that can still be developed smarter or not developed at all. 

It's obvious we don't have enough historical climate data to know just how intense rainstorms here can be. Actually, maybe we do know that sometimes feet of rain can fall in a matter of hours over very isolated locations, but we just choose not to believe it will happen again until Meyerland floods twice in a year. Instead of pointing fingers it would be more beneficial to get creative and figure out how to solve our problems.

On 7/14/2016 at 3:10 PM, DMR said:

I am surprised this project complied with C.O.H. impervious area requirements. It's projects like these that adversely effect our flooding problems. 

Did you post basically the samething that you posted on the first page that I responded to?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What is going on with this thing?  There is a big pile of trash in front of the building next to a crane/lift with the front window punched out.  It seemed like for weeks nothing was happening, but I have recently seen a handful of workers go up into the parking garage in the building.  

Edited by s3mh
mistake
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Per comments on from crosscreek and HAG Swamplot: 

Swamplot, here’s a better story for you on Yale:

The Fisher Homes tower on Yale is now fenced off and all construction has stopped. Fisher Homes of Texas website is down, Yelp shows their offices closed permanently across the street. Please tell us what you know or have heard, thanks in advance.

They also pulled all listings for 829 Yale off the market. The project was always an eyesore and created a mess along Yale. Then again anything ever touched by Fisher has been a disaster.

http://swamplot.com/meet-heights-village-the-new-strip-center-going-up-at-yale-and-5th-st/2018-02-15/#comments

• 2 weeks later...

Cause No. 2016-64847, KAVAC Holding Company, LLC v. Paull Partners, LLC et al.  Look it up on the Harris County District Clerk's website.  Summary: cross collateralized loans, cash crunch, foreclosure, injunction, bankruptcy removal and remand, and enough defendants to field a football team.  One. Hot. Mess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, Fisher and his web of LLCs and other legal entities became either illiquid or insolvent. His lenders attempted to foreclose (August 2016). Fisher sued, alleging bad faith in the structure of the loans (September 2016), and asked the court to restrain the foreclosure sale (which it did). 

Much legal wrangling ensued. 

A number of Fisher's entities declared bankruptcy (Jan 2018), at which point the case was removed to federal court. 

I would expect the site to remain in its current condition until the bankruptcy gets resolved and the property is sold to another buyer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2018 at 2:23 PM, Angostura said:

So, Fisher and his web of LLCs and other legal entities became either illiquid or insolvent. His lenders attempted to foreclose (August 2016). Fisher sued, alleging bad faith in the structure of the loans (September 2016), and asked the court to restrain the foreclosure sale (which it did). 

Having a different LLCs for each real estate development is standard and very sound practice.  If one project fails, it does not affect the others.  Fisher cross collateralized his projects.  That effectively negates the liability protection of the different LLCs.  

• 11 months later...

Any updates on this one. Drove by this a couple weeks ago and its still in the same condition as it was in the previous image posted Dec. 2017. I would think that all the bs / dust had settle with the previous company and this could either move forward with demolition as this could effectively be labeled as blight, or another company had gotten hold of the property and might work to finish it or extensively remodel. However, with the site looking like the same it has been, I'm guessing nothing has changed?

• 1 year later...

Anything new on this project?? What a freakin' disaster. I used to live directly behind this location on Allston; but sold years before this madness happened. Me and my neighbor knew it was inevitable after all the development down by 6th and 5th happened around 2010. I suppose this is a catch-22 situ now; to huge to be affordable to demo and build, been sitting too long to finish it due to uncertainty of structural integrity. Anyone in the know? Thanks! Nealio

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NealioSpace said:

Anything new on this project?? What a freakin' disaster. I used to live directly behind this location on Allston; but sold years before this madness happened. Me and my neighbor knew it was inevitable after all the development down by 6th and 5th happened around 2010. I suppose this is a catch-22 situ now; to huge to be affordable to demo and build, been sitting too long to finish it due to uncertainty of structural integrity. Anyone in the know? Thanks! Nealio

Drove by the other day and its presence is quite jarring. It looks terrible now.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I could not even begin to describe the hot mess that is playing out in the courts over Terry Fisher's businesses.  If you go to the Harris County District Clerk's webstie and search for KAVACS, LLC as a defendant, you can see for yourself.

829 Yale changed hands last summer.  I have seen what looks like a security guard sitting in a car at the entrance now and then.  The building is all steel and concrete if I recall correctly.  So, I would assume that it can be finished if you go in and pull out whatever has been damaged due to exposure to the elements.  

Terry Fisher's Xanadu recently went on the market.  It ended up in the hands of Stallion Funding, an Austin outfit that has been muddling their way through a renovation of a house on W 12.  

I guess the upside is that the amount of schadenfreude that Terry Fisher's demise has generated will carry many Heights residents through the pandemic.  But I am pretty sick of seeing that building rotting away and am ready to see someone just put the thing together already. 

https://www.har.com/homedetail/832-yale-st-houston-tx-77007/2972500

• Like 4

• The title was changed to The Victoria: 8-Story Residential Building
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This crumbling and very sad condo/apt building has always left me wondering what is going to happen next - finally saw what appeared to be realtors and folks in suits at the site last week behind the fence and it reminded me to ask this brain trust. 

What happened and what is next?!

• The title was changed to 829 Yale: 8-Story Residential Building
  • The title was changed to 8-Story Residential Building At 829 Yale St.
  • 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This is going to be a huge year for development in this city. There are so many big projects that will be close to finished by years end or under construction. 

I cannot wait to cover it. I'm beyond excited for the future of this great city. Housing for more and more great, diverse people!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1