Bella Heights: 8-Story Condominiums At 829 Yale St.

Urbannizer

I believe this is already built.  Thought it was going to be Fisher's office.

That is on the opposite side of the street.  The attached plat is for the west side of the street.  Looks to be where the auto repair shop is currently located. 

• Like 1

Joy.  So basically they built their sales office across the street.  Good luck walking across Yale to the job site.  At least with all these residentail townhomes, apartments and condos being built along Yale maybe the city will start making everyone go the speed limiit.  I have had two cars totaled on that street (not my fault..).  I drive Heights now!

I am interested in what will happen at NE corner of Yale and 17th. 

• Like 1

Son of a biscuit! That's my great uncle's house! My family sold it shortly after he passed away in December 2001. To see that picture made my heart drop to my stomach. I can't believe they've let that happen. I can still close my eyes and see the beautiful flower beds he had all around the front yard, and of course, the leaning tin garage in the back.

I'm thankful that I am the only one in my family still alive to see what's become of 121 Payne. I'll hunt down some photo album pictures and post what the house USED to look like, in all its red and white glory.

Edited by Purpledevil
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear Purpledevil. If you look at google streetview and throttle between May 2011 and Jul 2013, you can see a dramatic difference. The house looks great in the before photo and a wreck in the later one. Sad...but hopefully it will be fully restored.

• Like 1

Thanks, I remember what it looked like once it was freshly restored after my uncle's passing. They had done a lot of work to the house, even moving the staircase entrance from the corner of the kitchen to the living room up front. That was my favorite part of that house, the room upstairs with the old crank open windows. That would be those three windows up front on the roof.

I don't know if they kept the second kitchen behind the second bedroom on the left of the house. Only house I've ever been in that had two full kitchens in it. Of course, that's because the house was originally a duplex. I saw the inspection pictures from a couple of months ago. Absolutely sickening.

Here's a story about 121 Payne that NO ONE else can tell. When my great uncle passed away, we began emptying the house in preparation of my Aunt Lena moving to Lufkin. When we pulled the pictures off of the walls, 50+ years of tar had dripped down the walls behind them. It was that very day and that very sight when I decided I would never light another cigarette again.

I certainly hope you are right, barracuda. The house is just over a century old now, having been built in 1910. Even in its current state, I'd hate to see it lost, but they were sending letters to my uncle about 45 taking out his house for ROW several years before he died, so at some point it will be inevitabile.

• Like 1

Just an update on 121 Payne. I went to see it Friday night. There is a 2 story addition on the back now, with apparently a 2 car garage built beneath. Also saw that there is a brand new roof on it, new solid glasses where the old cranking windows were, and it appeared that they (or have recently) leveled the support blocks beneath it, and poured new ones as well. It didn't look nearly as bad as the pictures online, up close and personal.

Certainly noted that Germantown sure seemed to be much more quiet and serene at night than it used to be just 15 years ago. We were there for a good 20 minutes, and everything surrounding was extremely quiet and peaceful for a Friday night. Glad to have seen the house will not be lost, it sure didn't look promising before.

As for Yale, I noticed that Yale Stone has been demoed, apparently this last week. All that sits on that side of the block is Jus' Mac and the abandoned Sunset Heights Food Market (or as we used to call it when it sat on the corner of 26th and Arlington, "the green store"). Looks like this project is moving rather quickly, they were just selling stone materials out of there a few weeks ago!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The rendering looks ok, but I still don't understand why almost all construction here in Houston only builds 3 foot sidewalks. Why do developers not make  6ft sidewalks (Or better yet, all the way to the street) to increase mobility? Does it have to do with city regulations or what?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dml423 said:

The rendering looks ok, but I still don't understand why almost all construction here in Houston only builds 3 foot sidewalks. Why do developers not make  6ft sidewalks (Or better yet, all the way to the street) to increase mobility? Does it have to do with city regulations or what?

The city's sidewalk ordinance mandates 5' minimum (6' for transit corridors). Sidewalks cost money; developers usually won't build more than what's expected of them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lithiumaneurysm said:

The city's sidewalk ordinance mandates 5' minimum (6' for transit corridors). Sidewalks cost money; developers usually won't build more than what's expected of them.

Thanks for the link. I understand it costs money to build the sidewalk, but wouldn't the continuous upkeep of mowing the grass eventually erode the savings?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dml423 said:

Thanks for the link. I understand it costs money to build the sidewalk, but wouldn't the continuous upkeep of mowing the grass eventually erode the savings?

I assume most of these developments have to hire landscaping services anyway. Getting them to cut a few extra square feet of grass every couple of weeks probably doesn't amplify the cost much. Maintaining extra sidewalk space, especially in a city where concrete settles so poorly, would probably be pricier.

Anyway, I wish the city would do more to promote wider sidewalks. Our politicians pay plenty of lip-service to the concept of walkability, but there's little talk of changing the ordinances which make it so difficult to achieve (parking minimums, building setbacks, etc). Of course, changing these laws would be far more controversial and politically costly than the subpar status quo.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2016 at 1:18 PM, H-Town Man said:

Very Memorial Drive. Good example of what happens to neighborhood character without zoning.

In this case, it's an example of what happens to a corrugated metal warehouse and a lawnmower retailer when the dirt underneath them appreciates so much that the resulting property tax and opportunity cost makes their continued existence untenable.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:57 PM, Angostura said:

In this case, it's an example of what happens to a corrugated metal warehouse and a lawnmower retailer when the dirt underneath them appreciates so much that the resulting property tax and opportunity cost makes their continued existence untenable.

I'm in real estate. You're not going to wow me with big words.

On June 2, 2016 at 5:19 PM, dml423 said:

Developers build, HOAs (i.e., the residents) pay to maintain.

• 1 month later...

It appears a condo building is being constructed on the 800 block of Yale. I'm shocked this project was able to get permitted because of Houston impervious area restrictions for new developments. I believe it's projects like these that exacerbate our flooding problems. 

5 minutes ago, DMR said:

It appears a condo building is being constructed on the 800 block of Yale. I'm shocked this project was able to get permitted because of Houston impervious area restrictions for new developments. I believe it's projects like these that exacerbate our flooding problems. 

How would this project exacerbate the flood problem exactly? Do we need to start building vertical retention ponds? In your answer, please relate it to the consequences of building a neighborhood out in the suburbs on prairie land. Thanks.

• Like 1