Those Rickety Old Abandoned Homes On Highway 288

Does anyone know what's up with those run down houses on the side of 288 around Iowa Colony? They had trucks out there about a year ago and I was hoping they would haul them off but they just moved them around/possibly added more(?). Someone took the liberty of tagging them up with graffiti. They are falling over with front porch awnings hanging down and roofs seemingly caved in.

Who owns them/why are they there? They look so bad. I've heard a rumor that about a decade ago the city put them there so their police department could patrol 288/set up a speed trap, but I don't know the truth behind that or what they're still doing there..

What good would owning any of those dilapidated structures be? Would you have to pay taxes on those structures? If so then privately owning them makes even less sense. I guess you might be able to salvage a small fraction of the materials that aren't completely trashed, but the structures in general are in a state of disrepair. Getting 18 wheelers out there to move the houses around surely isn't free, so someone seems to be investing something into them.. I just can't figure out why? They are an eyesore, to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Those are most likely the houses that Cherry Moving Co. has been paid to move off lots in Houston and surrounding areas. They are listed for sale on their website.

• The title was changed to Those Rickety Old Abandoned Homes On Highway 288

Archived