Petition To Change The Downtown Forum's Description

BigFootsSocks

After a glass of wine (or 3) I've come to the conclusion that the tag line, "Rebirth on the bayou, or just as seedy and run down as ever?" is a bit outdated. Sure, there are still "seedy" parts, but are we still questioning its rebirth?

I propose the new tag to be "Rebirth on the Bayou"

That's a bad description of downtown Houston. Surely there is a better way to describe it. I can understand feeling a need to not sound like you are promoting it, but planting negative imagery into the heads of everyone just before they go into the subforum isn't very constructive. Websites that sow negativity will reap negativity.

"Has it turned the corner?"

"A mini-Manhattan or a bigger Beaumont?"

"Where old and new coexist. For the most part."

"Born on the bayou... ooh, ooh, ooh..."

"Is the renaissance complete or, like Castro's Cuba, is it a new revolution every day?"

"Everyone's neighborhood."

1 hour ago, BigFootsSocks said:

In keeping with IT's proposed cynicism, I approve of the suggested addendum's.

It gets rid of the "run-down" language, it still offers a comparison, it's funny, and it doesn't sound like something a tourism bureau wrote up. Everyone wins! :D

15 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

"Has it turned the corner?"

"A mini-Manhattan or a bigger Beaumont?"

"Where old and new coexist. For the most part."

"Born on the bayou... ooh, ooh, ooh..."

"Is the renaissance complete or, like Castro's Cuba, is it a new revolution every day?"

"Everyone's neighborhood."

"Everyone's neighborhood".   That is totally perfect, in my opinion.  

how about:

"not your father's downtown"

"rebirth on the bayou?"

"towers and trains everywhere"

"Houston, we have residents"

"it may still be a little seedy, but it's less seedy than other parts of town and that counts for something"

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2016 at 8:48 AM, samagon said:

how about:

"not your father's downtown"

"rebirth on the bayou?"

"towers and trains everywhere"

"Houston, we have residents"

"it may still be a little seedy, but it's less seedy than other parts of town and that counts for something"

Houston we have residents sounds like the perfect description of where we are heading. 

I'll vote for downtown still being at least a little seedy. I saw a guy relieving himself on Sunday morning on Lamar near Main.

I haven't reviewed the definition of seedy in a while, but I'm pretty sure pissing on the sidewalk in broad daylight is on the list of qualifiers.

• 1 year later...

I vote "everyone's neighborhood" too.  While everyone obviously won't live there, DT is increasingly becoming a place for all Houstonians. From Discovery Green and the Convention District to Market Square and the plans for HPL and the Theater District...there is definitely more to see and do, DT. 

Dare I say it? You guys are whitewashing the unsavory memories of downtown and gentrifying the description of this thread... the shame!

My vote would be to leave it for as long as the hulking shell of the Days Inn is still standing.

That or replace it with a picture of a townhouse.

Archived