Midtown Streetscape Improvements

Purdueenginerd

Apparently this project was pared down are re-bid but still came in over budget.  I think they're planning to put this (and other proposed projects) on the back burner until some of the current construction boom slows down a bit.

Probably smart, but the city just needs to realize that these complete street improvements aren't exactly going to be cheap and should anticipate that they will cost a little bit more than just laying down a new road with a simple grass median and 4-5' wide sidewalks. The simple fact is....they are probably being a little cheap and don't want to pay a lot for it.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

You are correct.  I was told that the city is not willing to support MRA on much other than sidewalk improvements because it is their opinion that the tax increment is technically their contribution... I can see how they would think a portion of that lost revenue is theirs (especially with the renewal of the TIRZ for another 10 years), but I think they are being a little short-sighted with how much an area can improve after an upgrade like was done on Bagby.  The result of this project is going to be right in line with their Houston Tomorrow initiatives.

Probably smart, but the city just needs to realize that these complete street improvements aren't exactly going to be cheap and should anticipate that they will cost a little bit more than just laying down a new road with a simple grass median and 4-5' wide sidewalks. The simple fact is....they are probably being a little cheap and don't want to pay a lot for it.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Holman Street improvements are under construction at this time (not Caroline).  If we want to make a separate thread, that works or we can keep it here.

http://houstonmidtown.com/projects/

Holman Streetscape

Vibrant streetscape enhancements to Holman Street will deliver a safer connection for pedestrians from the light rail line to HCC and the nearby culture, entertainment and night life venues.

post-5633-0-61112600-1452788893_thumb.jp

Holman Street is a major roadway for access to the main campus of Houston Community College and to the METRORail station and other nearby transit services. Holman Street distinguishes itself from other streets within Midtown by featuring streetscape that builds on connections to the light rail line and other nearby amenities, and sets a precedent for future streetscape redevelopments within the community.

With the improvement of Holman Street also comes private development including Mid Main projects such as apartments, restaurants, retail shops and parking, and the Midtown Arts & Theater Center Houston (MATCH), which will serve as a venue for various exhibits and performances. The new structure, located at 3400 Main St., will include a main theater, three black-box theaters, two small performance areas, a large gallery space, office space and a coffee and wine bar.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 8

• 4 months later...

I've always felt like Midtown Main Street feels different than the Midtown everyone else talks about.

Main Street: "Wow, this feels kind of run-down, even if it is improving."

Louisiana: "So this is the Midtown I've heard about. Looks nice and modern, but that's yuppieville for you."

• Like 1

That little area by the continental club is such an anomaly for midtown. I wonder how long this little pocket can hold out being weird before they are squeezed out?

All of midtown needs lighting like they have on Dallas street. There are so many pedestrians, they need more light than they have.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2016 at 10:24 AM, samagon said:

That little area by the continental club is such an anomaly for midtown. I wonder how long this little pocket can hold out being weird before they are squeezed out?

All of midtown needs lighting like they have on Dallas street. There are so many pedestrians, they need more light than they have.

It's what makes this part of Midtown cool, the rest of Midtown is just a continuation of the douchebag Affliction/Ed Hardy wearing frat bars that line Washington Ave.

• Like 6

On 5/20/2016 at 10:23 PM, lockmat said:

The Main Street Enhancement Project focuses on safety, aesthetics, environmental considerations and connectivity. Residents, business owners, visitors and tourists will benefit from the upgrades made to area, which is an important site for transit between NRG Stadium and downtown. More lighting and widened sidewalks are just a couple of enhancements on this project. From an aesthetics standpoint, new landscaping and street furniture will accentuate the modern look and feel of the area, encouraging merchants to set up businesses in the area, and welcoming residents to look to Midtown for their new home. The project will also encourage nearby private development.

13241393_701331834820_158557087583191025

http://houstonmidtown.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Main-Street.pdf

Did they happen to say the time-frame on this project?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/11/2016 at 10:35 PM, Urbannizer said:

Saw new tree lighting in place while zooming by on the rail. Also portions of the new sidewalks are not wide enough imo.

The narrower parts that I've seen appear to have room on both side of the sidewalk for pavers.  Should put the total width around 6ft or more.

• 8 months later...
3 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

Contractor trailers are in place in the lot across from Weight & Measures. I talked to one of the workers and he said this project will kick off in the next month or so. Work will start on the HCC end of Caroline and progress toward Pierce.

20170811_160400

Oh good I wasn't full of ****

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Any word on this?

FWIW, this week trees have been trimmed on Caroline, small yellow flags planted, and orange markings sprayed on the street and sidewalks.
I don't know what this portends...

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 6:33 PM, dbigtex56 said:

FWIW, this week trees have been trimmed on Caroline, small yellow flags planted, and orange markings sprayed on the street and sidewalks.
I don't know what this portends...

Surveying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

On closer inspection, marking of existing gas line.

Thats actually a key part of surveying work. In this city there is so much stuff flying everywhere that isn't tracked properly. Its mandated that they track everything they can find.

• Like 1

According to the 2/22/2018 minutes of the MRA board meeting, there is a possible 3 month delay on the project due to " the need to brace or replace utility poles which are not aligned with underground utilities." They stated that they wanted to look into redesign to avoid the delay.

Perhaps this is why they were re-surveying?