A new ballpark in Arlington

Rangers to announce a new retractable roof ballpark in Arlington, possibly by Friday. 

Lot B is wide enough to fit a retractable roof park in the style of Minute Maid Park and is across from Texas Live. I'd expect a roof design similar to Marlins Park (roof and separate sliding wall) with HKS as architect. The trend lately is modern exteriors (Target Field, Marlins Park) ...do the Rangers go this route? A modern park could fit in well with the a Death Star next door. 

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2016/05/19/sources-rangers-city-arlington-will-announce-plans-new-retractable-roof-stadium

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lockmat said:

It would be near their current park? What would they do with old one?

If they do build at Lot B, it's likely they pave over Globe Life Park for replacement parking lots. 

Edited by tigereye

Wow. It seems like only yesterday when the current park was brand new. Time flies. I really wish they'd build in Dallas but you know Arlington wouldn't let them go. They want to be the attraction town. Whatever. I would like the Minute Maid park style. Dallas has room on the southside where they should build this.

Gosselin: Dallas loses again on Rangers' stadium because Arlington actually acts. 

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2016/05/19/gosselin-arlington-acts-dallas-talks-rangers-will-staying-put-keeping-cool?hootPostID=2c36781242bc3458d5ad7655b419c1e6

FWST quotes a $900 million dollar price tag due to soaring construction costs. Press conference at 1:30 pm

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/arlington/article78764147.html

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

I didn't realize Globe Life was over 20 years old! Still, not a very timeless design. 

Minute Maid Park is already 16 years old, but I hope that they keep using it for another 20 at least. It's a great urban ballpark that they're just starting to realize the value of with all the great development in the area. 

• Like 2

Arlington got pissed when they printed jerseys West Coast Champions with Downtown Dallas on them. They immediate made new shirts.  Houston built Minute Made Park with a view of Downtown.  Toyota Center, BBVA, and Discovery Green park.  Something is very wrong with Downtown Dallas.      

MLB has a target audience. The Rangers do a very good job of pulling in this target audience, and much of that has to do with the stadium being close to the mid-cities suburbs.

This target audience is also the same one that prompted the move of FC Dallas to Frisco, and the Atlanta Braves to Smyrna.

3 hours ago, nativehoustonion said:

I hope so went to a game there in July and it was so hot we had to leave!  Also a ugly stadium, why don't they build in Forth Worth? 

Fart Worth would be too far west. Mid city area is actually perfect but yea I wish they would build it near downtown D like Htown

30 minutes ago, tigereye said:

Renderings are in. Roof rail shows (even when retracted) like Marlins Park. 

Rangers Park in the same retractable roof style as MMP, Safeco, and Marlins Park. The Mets, Yankees & Twins all planned retractable roof led parks that would've been similar if constructed. 

For comparion: 

• Like 1

Not sure why they want a retractable roof. Might as well build a regular, fixed dome. It's a lot cheaper.

After the novelty wears off, the Rangers will very likely be like the Astros and open it maybe 5 times a year, or worse, like the Texans and never open the thing. The Astros claim they like the noise that reverberates when the roof is closed (remember the 2005 World Series?). Huh? Then why did you insist on a retractable roof? Just cheer louder. Plus no fan anywhere ever had any measurable legal effect on a game. As for the Texans, who knows why they absolutely refuse to pop the top on several gorgeous fall afternoons. But it also brings up the obvious question of why they had to have a retractable roof as well. At least we weren't suckered on a retractable roof for the Toyota Center.

If Arlington is smart, they'll force the team to pay for the retractable roof. But hey, it's the Metroplex, so why do I really care if they get hosed or not?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Firebird65 said:

If Arlington is smart, they'll force the team to pay for the retractable roof. But hey, it's the Metroplex, so why do I really care if they get hosed or not?

There's already been rumblings from Arlington citizens saying they might not be happy with this.

The mayor of Dallas also had a press conference today and said that he would have liked the stadium in Dallas but he is more excited about new plans for the Trinity river he unveiled today  and that it would be a better investment.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Preliminary renders from stadium architect HKS. Initial concept resembles MMP with an arched wall hiding a roof rail support. With all the negative feedback concept is getting, will be interesting to see how design evolves from here.

• Like 1

Interesting take from current Rangers EVP of business operations Rob Matwick, once the former Astros VP of Communications. Minute Maid's exterior, including arches, were inspired from the 116 year-old train station on its site. 

Matwick: Those people [who] can consider three conceptual renderings to be design, they don’t know much about architecture. People were saying we were mirroring the Astros’ Minute Maid Park. I worked for them for 21 years and was involved in the opening of Minute Maid. I went through that whole transition. The arches that people refer to that look like Minute Maid have been in place at Globe Life since 1994. Minute Maid opened in 2000. If anybody copied anybody, they copied us. Fans tell us they like the architecture of the current park and we think we should carry that forward.

We knew that by putting anything out this early in the process, there would be negative feedback, but we felt like it was the right thing to do. I believe the arches as they were portrayed will stay. These things will be 110 feet high. They’ll be majestic scale — far larger than anything at Globe Life or Minute Maid. I know they’ll be well done. We’re taking great care to make sure design works with Texas Live and GLP.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bisnow/2017/01/10/texas-rangers-rob-matwick-and-hks-bryan-trubey-on-the-new-1b-stadium/#1d2786cd2405

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

They should rename them the Arlington Rangers. Wouldn't be unprecedented (see Anaheim).

Also a note from earlier - being at the Ballpark for a day game in July was the hottest I've ever felt in my life. It was a stagnant 105+, not sure what they were thinking scheduling an afternoon game that time of the year.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I haven't seen it discussed anywhere but this recent HKS video provides a good idea of what the new ballpark will look like. 

Some deets: 

1. The MMP-style limestone arches have been redone in left field, now inverted perpendicular, and now clad in brick. It's a good thing cause if they kept the limestone arches, the new place couldn't compete with MMP's view.

DAoy9HsW0AEWiKr?format=jpg&name=large

Also, this double-deck space could be used for thousands of standing room only tix, like at neighboring AT&T Stadium. 

2. The other MMP-style aspect seen previously was a Crawford Boxes style seating section in left (HOK's proposal pre-vote)

3. In Blueprints shown, new park appears to have similar dimensions to Globe Life. If so, wouldn't be surprised if fence heights and LF out of town scoreboard carry over to new park. There also is a berm in center field. The setup definitely feels like a nod to Globe Life.

4. One bullpen is definitely visible in right field stands, could be stacked just like at Globe Life. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 9:59 PM, tigereye said:

I haven't seen it discussed anywhere but this recent HKS video provides a good idea of what the new ballpark will look like. 

Some deets: 

1. The MMP-style limestone arches have been redone in left field, now inverted perpendicular, and now clad in brick. It's a good thing cause if they kept the limestone arches, the new place couldn't compete with MMP's view.

DAoy9HsW0AEWiKr?format=jpg&name=large

Also, this double-deck space could be used for thousands of standing room only tix, like at neighboring AT&T Stadium. 

2. The other MMP-style aspect seen previously was a Crawford Boxes style seating section in left (HOK's proposal pre-vote)

3. In Blueprints shown, new park appears to have similar dimensions to Globe Life. If so, wouldn't be surprised if fence heights and LF out of town scoreboard carry over to new park. There also is a berm in center field. The setup definitely feels like a nod to Globe Life.

4. One bullpen is definitely visible in right field stands, could be stacked just like at Globe Life. 

New renders out, pretty much aligned up with the video above. Groundbreaking on 9/28.

DKRSc6nVwAAxwj_.jpg

DKRSc6sU8AAM4tA.jpg

DKRSc6nVoAERSMJ.jpg

DKRSuvxUMAAXgLB.jpg

My 2¢: The design seems to lack any personality & character. I like the roof skylights but it will still feel like a warehouse when the roof is closed. 

• Like 1

I like the design, but I agree it lacks much character (the only thing identifying it from any other stadium is the 'T' behind home plate)

Also, it looks like there's only one entrance gate - I could see that being a problem.