Brookhollow Marketplace At 4500 Dacoma St.

Mab

HOUSTON – Exxon Mobil’s abandoned Brookhollow campus near the intersection of Highway 290 and Loop 610 has been sold for what could become a major retail development in the close-in northwest Houston realty market.

The strategic 24-acre property was sold by the energy company to a partnership affiliated with Houston real estate investor Khaled Salem of Williamsburg Enterprises and Alan Hassenflu of Fidelis Realty Partners.

Since launching Fidelis Realty Partners in 2003, Hassenflu has built his Houston-based company into one of the leading retail center development firms in Texas with major projects including Meyerland Plaza and Baytown’s San Jacinto Mall.

The Exxon Mobil campus, at the intersection of Highway 290 and Dacoma Street, was one of several Exxon sites abandoned after the energy giant built its new 3 million square-foot campus on the north side of Houston, a few miles from The Woodlands.

The site, formerly known as the Exxon Mobil Brookhollow facility, has three old Exxon office buildings and some other structures. It is located just outside Loop 610. JLL represented Exxon Mobil in the sale.

The Exxon Mobil Brookhollow property is near the site of a proposed bullet-train station and the 1960s-vintage Northwest Mall. Although it is not far from The Heights, the Brookhollow area does not match the upscale demographics that Fidelis enjoys at its Meyerland Plaza, near Bellaire.

When the Brookhollow property was listed for sale in 2014, some had optimistically speculated that it would fetch as much as $40 million. But that was when oil was over $100 a barrel – before the rapid decline to $40 a barrel dampened the Houston real estate market and dented the local economy. The ultimate sales price was around $11 million.

Exxon Mobil fared much better with the sale of its 35-acre Exxon Mobil Chemical campus in the Energy Corridor which sold to Third Palm Capital for $75 million before the oil price collapse.

About three years ago, Exxon Mobil’s skyscraper at 800 Bell in downtown Houston was purchased by Shorenstein Properties for $50 million for a redevelopment that has been put on-hold till the office market improves

http://realtynewsreport.com/2016/05/18/exxon-mobil-brookhollow-campus-sold-for-possible-retail-redevelopment/

• 7 months later...

I don't know if this topic has already been discussed. But they have been leveling and tearing down buildings at the site just west of Dacoma Street just north of 290. I talked to a pretty trustworthy  source just yesterday, a construction worker, who said they are totaling leveling the entire area and Northwest Mall will be torn down. I asked him what they were planning on building in its place and they he said there will be some time of mini-malls being built (whatever that means). 

I'm thinking that this must be related to the Houston-Dallas bullet train site. Could they be building a some sort of TOD?  I asked him if it was related to the Bullet train proposal and he said he did not know anything about that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess that means the two taller buildings will get demolished. That should be interesting to watch.  I drove by there the other day, and the East half is pretty much just dirt. The smaller building towards the back is a pile of rubble, and the bunker looking 2 story is gutted. There was a pile mountain of what looked like desks or filing cabinets next to the tall buildings.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

All of the above

@j_cuevas713

Any new word on Thompson's Antiques? I understood they were leasing the old Penney's box and weren't going anywhere, after being pushed out of their longtime home down on Old Katy Rd. for the freeway expansion. Could it be that the mall and the old Foley's meet the wrecking ball, while the Antique Center remains in place with a new "Northline Commons concept" in the rest of the mall's current footprint?

57 minutes ago, Purpledevil said:

@j_cuevas713

Any new word on Thompson's Antiques? I understood they were leasing the old Penney's box and weren't going anywhere, after being pushed out of their longtime home down on Old Katy Rd. for the freeway expansion. Could it be that the mall and the old Foley's meet the wrecking ball, while the Antique Center remains in place with a new "Northline Commons concept" in the rest of the mall's current footprint?

I think the Antique Center is sticking around last time I heard. I don't mind it. I'm just glad this eyesore of a mall will be gone.

That would be eerily reminiscent of Town & Country's last days, with the mall gone and Marshall Field's building becoming the only remnant of what once was there. Having grown up with Northwest, it would be yet another loss of something from the childhood days, but so is the price of progress. I documented my last trip to the mal here on the HAIF, and I'm sure the pictures are floating around here somewhere. It wasn't even worthy of being deemed a shell of its former glory at that point in time. Quite depressing. It's really a shame that Almeda and Northwest are identical. Someone with a vision saw fit to save Almeda, yet Northwest (and its nearly identical footprint to Almeda) has seemingly been deemed unworthy of a revamp.

Oh well, the wrecking ball will never demolish all of the memories that I hold for Northwest Mall. R.I.P. old friend. I will never forget the butt whipping I received for running away from my mother in a mad dash away from Penney's and in to Foley's so I could get on that kid's shoes department's boat more quickly than the old lady could get across that mall.

It was worth every welt. :D

The demolition going on here looks like the Exxon Brookhollow site (NE corner of Northwest Freeway and Dacoma) that was vacated for their Woodlands campus a few years back (Google Maps shows an "ExxonMobil Customer Services" at this building), with this being the last building. Just based on the way that the buildings were constructed, it looks like they were all constructed as a larger campus (including a lovely courtyard with lots of trees which sadly didn't survive). My resources say that they were constructed for Humble Oil in the early 1970s.

1 hour ago, IronTiger said:

The demolition going on here looks like the Exxon Brookhollow site (NE corner of Northwest Freeway and Dacoma) that was vacated for their Woodlands campus a few years back (Google Maps shows an "ExxonMobil Customer Services" at this building), with this being the last building. Just based on the way that the buildings were constructed, it looks like they were all constructed as a larger campus (including a lovely courtyard with lots of trees which sadly didn't survive). My resources say that they were constructed for Humble Oil in the early 1970s.

Yep, that was the ExxonMobil Brookhollow campus. Buildings were built in the "Brutalist" style, with lots of concrete. It was built in the early to mid-70's, and at one time had the card center that handled all of the credit card processes. I think the later occupants were IT and back office staff for some accounting processes, according to folks I know who worked there. 

18 minutes ago, Ross said:

Yep, that was the ExxonMobil Brookhollow campus. Buildings were built in the "Brutalist" style, with lots of concrete. It was built in the early to mid-70's, and at one time had the card center that handled all of the credit card processes. I think the later occupants were IT and back office staff for some accounting processes, according to folks I know who worked there. 

4400-4550 Dacoma St. 24 acres in total. Demolished building was 254,566 square feet, built in 1976 by Exxon. Latest appraised value of land that I could find through HCAD was $31,905,156. The entire complex apparently took 5 years to build, with 1971 showing as the initial ground breaking.

1 hour ago, Purpledevil said:

4400-4550 Dacoma St. 24 acres in total. Demolished building was 254,566 square feet, built in 1976 by Exxon. Latest appraised value of land that I could find through HCAD was $31,905,156. The entire complex apparently took 5 years to build, with 1971 showing as the initial ground breaking.

I was relying on the scan of "Houston Today", a 1970s volume of the "modern" developments in the suburbs and the downtown at the time (while it's great that there's a complete scan, some of the maps like Brookhollow are sort of illegible). It was listed as Humble Oil & Refining probably because they were the ones that started it, though by the time it was built, the Humble name had been discarded in favor of Exxon.

2 hours ago, Purpledevil said:

The site sold for $11 million, so that's one HCAD valuation that's way off. The previous owner was the Rodeo(I have no life...)

35 minutes ago, IronTiger said:

I was relying on the scan of "Houston Today", a 1970s volume of the "modern" developments in the suburbs and the downtown at the time (while it's great that there's a complete scan, some of the maps like Brookhollow are sort of illegible). It was listed as Humble Oil & Refining probably because they were the ones that started it, though by the time it was built, the Humble name had been discarded in favor of Exxon.

The signs at the entrances still say "Brookhollow Campus", but the "Exxon" symbols are all gone.

3 hours ago, IronTiger said:

1972, I do believe, was when Humble became Exxon. So, you'd be right on about the Humble listing. Nice find, Tiger.

Humble acquired the property in April 1969 from Brookhollow of Houston, Inc, who had acquired the property from the Rodeo in 1967. The rodeo acquired the property from the Lamair family in 1964. According to the 1940 census, E H Lamair owned an insurance company and they lived on Rosedale, where the 288 feeder is now on the West side of the freeway. Here's the block book map.AE1997_99-2_0030.jpg

Neat map, Ross. Thanks for posting that. The inquisitive side of me wonders what the HLSR had in mind for use of that property originally? Headquarters, I presume?

Just to keep the good Tiger up to speed, Northwest Freeway is actually U.S. 290 not Texas 288. Looks like a simple typo by our fellow HAIFer Ross, but I thought that might need a little clarification.

Edit to add: As an aside, it's interesting to me to see the map use the term "Northwest Freeway" and to see the freeway laid out in full over Dacoma. The Northwest Freeway was merely a stub that terminated at Dacoma (perhaps it was at Mangum?) up until I was in my late teens. Interesting to note that this map, which would predate the expansion of U.S. 290 past the original stub by some 15 years, shows a full fledged freeway already planned out, documented, and mapped in 1967, when it didn't actually exist at the time.

Archived