The Sophie: Condominiums At 6017 Memorial Dr.

Urbannizer

Luxury condo to replace axed Italian-style townhomes

http://www.thesophiehouston.com/

A luxury condominium is planned for the former site of an Italian-style townhome project near Memorial Park.

Stolz Partners LLC is under contract to purchase a nearly 2-acre site at 6017 Memorial Drive, just west of Westcott Street and the Bayou Bend Collections and Gardens. The Atlanta-based developer is set to close on the property within six months, said Will Stolz, founder and owner of Stolz Partners.

The seven-story building, designed by Houston architect Mirador Group, will feature a timeless design and a cast-stone exterior. The interior will feature just 42 units, ranging in size from 2,400 square feet to nearly 5,000 square feet.

Sudhoff Cos. has begun pre-sales inside The Sophie. Stolz Partners will break ground on The Sophie after 50 percent of units are sold.

the-sophie-at-bayou-bend-front-elevation

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what was sent to my realtor:

A building inspired by timeless architecture, sophistication and contemporary elegance, The Sophie is designed to withstand the trends of time for many years to come. The Sophie embodies refined, modern elegance in a sleek Cosmopolitan atmosphere and a classic exterior design that compliments its refined and polished interior finishes, the essence of style in alive in the details at The Sophie, inside and out.  

Steps away from Memorial Park, The Sophie will capture the best of city living with outdoor terraces along with outdoor kitchens, Sub-Zero Wolf appliances, SieMatic cabinetry,  Quartz countertops, Double sided Gas Fireplaces and so much more!  The homes range from approximately 2,400 – 4,800 square feet and range in price from $1,255,000 - $3,235,000.

Not to get off subject, but why do all of these have to be so expensive. How many people can afford this price range? I believe a huge market is undeserved because everything they build now is "Luxury" and costs over half a million at least. I really think if they could build 2-3 bedroom condos for $200-$350k, they would sell out quickly. Something like Ivy Lofts but bigger rooms and less amenities. Am I the only one who sees this large void in the market place?

3 hours ago, dml423 said:

Not to get off subject, but why do all of these have to be so expensive. How many people can afford this price range? I believe a huge market is undeserved because everything they build now is "Luxury" and costs over half a million at least. I really think if they could build 2-3 bedroom condos for $200-$350k, they would sell out quickly. Something like Ivy Lofts but bigger rooms and less amenities. Am I the only one who sees this large void in the market place?

There are likely 100+ condos inside the loop in that price range on the market today.  Right now, on HAR.  I don't think there is a shortage.  Here is one:

http://www.har.com/u/86C436473

if the contract falls through, will you be buying?

13 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

There are likely 100+ condos inside the loop in that price range on the market today.  Right now, on HAR.  I don't think there is a shortage.  Here is one:

http://www.har.com/u/86C436473

if the contract falls through, will you be buying?

Just did a search on HAR  There are 250 2BR+ condos/townhouses for sale inside the Loop in the $200,000-350,000 price range.

31 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Just did a search on HAR  There are 250 2BR+ condos/townhouses for sale inside the Loop in the $200,000-350,000 price range.

I stand corrected. To my defense, I was thinking new builds at that price range not existing.

13 minutes ago, dml423 said:

I stand corrected. To my defense, I was thinking new builds at that price range not existing.

There are plenty of new builds (2015-2016) in that price range as well:  Midtown, EADO, near northside, Spring Branch etc etc.

I love all these little projects like this one, Morningside Mansions, Village at River Oaks, etc.! They may be small but they are what's going to really densify the inner loop, filling in the space between the bigger skyscraper clusters.

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Those fixtures are likely brass and yes, it's coming back. The "new" brass is less polished and more understated than the 1980s version but I'm not a huge fan. 

Thanks for the info.  I wasn't a fan the last time.  I guess I need to see these "new brass" fixtures in person to decide if I like them.

Does anyone know if this is just a different development by the same group or if the original developers sold the lot after they clear cut it? This was going to be some Italian inspired joint filled with patio homes and they clear cut so many beautiful trees that could have been saved with the new footprint. 

5 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Does anyone know if this is just a different development by the same group or if the original developers sold the lot after they clear cut it? This was going to be some Italian inspired joint filled with patio homes and they clear cut so many beautiful trees that could have been saved with the new footprint. 

The BizJournal link in the first post says it's a different group - now Stolz Partners, originally was Butler Brothers

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2016 at 6:00 AM, UtterlyUrban said:

I am actually surprised to see gold-tone faucets in the bathroom.  Those have been "out" for a long time now, I think.  I wonder if the design trend is reversing?

The trend was said to be reversed a couple of years ago in the upper end of the market, but there are still a ton of polished stainless and stainless fixtures and silver tones must still be the most popular. 

All good fixtures are brass on the inside.  It is highly unlikely that these are not coated in something... raw and polished brass is still not on trend although they are still produced.  

• 4 months later...

Archived