CrockpotandGravel

2200 Main St & 2211 Travis St

Previously in the More Coming to Midtown thread but created here so we can all keep track of this development in one place:

On 5/5/2016 at 1:58 AM, Urbannizer said:

2200 Main

12,600 sq ft of retail. Phase II of Alexan Midtown was proposed for this block.

W6pPrxx.jpg

1QKmaON.jpg

SvY6Z6S.jpg

This is a new development from The Oxberry Group (Tarakaan)

1JepGTa.jpg

811ix2J.jpg

Lks6mEq.jpg

r1faur6.jpg

GMHm8ic.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 4

Page 7 of that PDF is interesting.  Haven't seen some of those mentioned around here (namely the Winther one at La Branch and Webster).

Both bus stations will need to leave if this is going to thrive. They tend to drag everything down in the area.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2016 at 4:22 PM, hindesky said:

Both bus stations will need to leave if this is going to thrive. They tend to drag everything down in the area.

I have said it a million times,  these stations are victims of their surroundings,  their surroundings are not victims of this station.

You think that the homeless charities will disappear in the absence of these stations? I don't think so. 

You think the shelters will go because greyhound was moved? Don't think so? 

You think the food drop offs will stop if the buses no longer stop there? Think again. 

The homeless are at greyhound because it is part of homelesd life in that area (constant influx of new people to ask for money) but that area is NOT filled with homeless because of the stations.  The stations alone do not generate enough change for the homeless in order for so many of them to thrive. They thrive in that area because of the many churches,  shelters,  charities and food drops in the area.

As for this development,  i wish it well.  It will be a pioneer for that immediate area for that type of facility

• Like 4

Although nothing has happened with this project, I believe it is headed up by the Oxberry Group. They are responsible for the now closed Tarakaan restaurant across the street that is being changed into something else as well as the Mondrian in the Museum District.

• Like 2

The lot now has signs and a payment kiosk for parking. Not sure if development is going through anytime soon. Any word on the variance request?

On 12/22/2016 at 0:01 PM, Urbannizer said:

The number of homeless people hanging around this building has spiked after the city cleared out the 59 underpass.

I just filed a complaint to the city. I'm glad they fenced off that area under 59 but NOW all those homeless wander my neighborhood. And they trash everything in their path. 

• Like 1

I noticed this building was fenced off this morning. Not sure if its about to start demolition or just to keep the bums out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terra002 said:

I noticed this building was fenced off this morning. Not sure if its about to start demolition or just to keep the bums out. 

Noticed that too. They boarded up the windows not that long ago now followed by the fence. 

2211 Travis St is located in Midtown behind the Shell gas station, a block over from the Greyhound bus terminal and Midtown Central Square.

It was a body shop for Downtown Body Shop. Now it's a lot used for paid parking.

Z1NBvR7.jpg

Photos from Google Maps of the parking lot:

1kCQq05.jpg

CUPE2L5.jpg

8LMOIU3.jpg

38 minutes ago, corbs315 said:

So....2200 Main never took off..

Thanks! That's why the lot looked familiar. Mods, please merge with the 2200 Main St thread below:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33545-2200-main-st/

Merge with this thread, I changed the title to include the addresses for both.
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33545-2200-main-st-2211-travis-st/

13 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Thanks! That's why the lot looked familiar. Mods, please merge with the 2200 Main St thread below:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33545-2200-main-st/

Merge with this thread, I changed the title to include the addresses for both.
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33545-2200-main-st-2211-travis-st/

Done

From Swamplot:

Coming soon to the strip of vacant 1920s storefronts along Main — catty-corner to the Greyhound bus station at Webster St. and directly north of the Shell station at Hadley: a new bar dubbed Pour Behavior. The 12,600-sq.-ft. building — once home to the Houston Spinal Pain Center, Ambassador Shoe Repair, Liviko’s Printing, Gold & Silver Buyers & Sellers, and the Salvation Army — sits on just over 3 quarters of an acre. A parking lot neighbors it on the corner of Travis and Webster where Downtown Body Shop was demolished a couple of years ago.

The aerial above pictures the whole property with some two-tone manipulation courtesy of the Oxberry Group, which had — but dropped — plans to redevelop it and bring in new restaurants and retailers a few years after the auto shop vanished. A new developer bought the building last year. The rendering above — released on Facebook by the bar’s proprietors last week — views the building from the corner of Travis and Webster streets and shows a patio fronting the current parking lot. Further down Webster to the east, a few windows reopen what was once the entrance to Webster St. Pharmacy, adjacent to the parking lot.

http://swamplot.com/high-octane-bar-redo-underway-next-to-midtown-gas-and-greyhound-stations-on-main/2018-04-12/

From the website of Pour Behavior, the bar under development at 2200 Main St & 2211 Travis St:

A versatile day-to-night entertainment and dining experience. Brought to you by a respected opening team with extensive experience and success in the nightlife, restaurant, and hospitality industries.

The opening team or the owners of Pour Behavior own Lincoln Bar + Kitchen on Washington Avenue. This should do well regardless of the comments on Swamplot. Clé, Rose Gold Den, and Capitol Bar are on the other side of the Greyhound bus station, and closer to Search and operate well.

On 4/12/2018 at 2:51 PM, Diaspora said:

Does anyone know if the departure from the original design requires reapplication of the variance process?  

I do not know but thought about that myself.

This is opening later in June or early July. The owners aren't sharing photos of the inside and are banning photos taken until this opens or after approved photos are published in Houston Chronicle or CultureMap.

Here are more interior renderings of Pour Behavior, the bar at 2200 Main St & 2211 Travis St:

From JMG Magazine

lf6tvWA.jpg

MHwRCzU.jpg

• Like 3

A blurb on Pour Behavior, the bar at 2200 Main St & 2211 Travis St. 

From JMG Magazine this week:

Pour Behavior is opening soon in the heart of Midtown at 2211 Travis. The 12,000 sq. ft. venue will be a multi-functional space that operates as a restaurant and bar during the day and as a high-energy social haven in the evenings and weekends.

https://jmgmags.com/a-versatile-day-to-night-experience-is-coming-soon-to-midtown/

• Like 1

Construction photos of Pour Behavior, the bar at 2200 Main St & 2211 Travis St in Houston Midtown. 

This is completed and should open later this month or early July.

2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

. The owners aren't sharing photos of the inside and are banning photos taken until this opens or after approved photos are published in Houston Chronicle or CultureMap.

No sentence has ever made me want to go take photos somewhere more than this one

• Like 6

4 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

and as a high-energy social haven in the evenings and weekends

“High-energy social haven” gets my

vote for dumb marketing buzz phrase of the month.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

YOU

GOTTA

FIGHT

FOR

RIGHT

TO PARTY (?)
Beastie Boys, as quoted by Tarzan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wait, did the abandon the second floor? That would make me sad. 

Otherwise it looks grrrrreat. They definitely changed the red little block thing by the entrance. It was much skinnier in the drawings. And it seems like they traded the awning for the tables with the umbrellas, which is...interesting given Houston's heat. Hope the outdoor seating isn't metal!

Pour Behavior in Houston at 2200 Main St & 2211 Travis St held an opening event or a preview last night.  The parking lot and the streets nearby were packed when I passed by.

• Like 3