Downtown-intown Development.

Guest Plastic

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think Sharpstown was the first master planned "suburban type" non-grid community in Houston.  It was built around the 1950's.

Being the oldest master planned community, you can see that is failed, crime is everywhere and the mall is a piss poor excuse of a mall.  Many of the other high-rise developements were cancelled after suburban decay took affect.  The ones that remain are not in any better shape.

Parts of Sugarland are already going through this effect.

Garden Oaks and Oak Forest pre-date Sharpstown. Frank Sharp developed Oak Forest. There may be older areas.

That is true, but Sharpstown has the honor of being the first Master Planned Community.

Actually, Eastwood on the East End is the first as far as master-planning (1913).

I was asking that question wondering which of these non-grid subdivisions would be the first to get reinvented /torn down en-masse like a lot of our older neighborhoods inside the loop and what would go up on those streets in place of the tract homes.

Actually, Eastwood on the East End is the first as far as master-planning (1913).

where is your source for this?

I was asking that question wondering which of these non-grid subdivisions would be the first to get reinvented /torn down en-masse like a lot of our older neighborhoods inside the loop and what would go up on those streets in place of the tract homes.

4th Ward, it is happening now, so is Rice Military

it depends on to whom you speak with. allegedly, the heights was the 1st master planned community in texas.

link

The inner-loop Houston Heights neighborhood has experienced phenomenal changes since it was developed in 1891 by O.M. Carter and his group of forward-thinking investors, Houston Heights became the first "master-planned community" in Texas and was a marvel of its time.

OK!!! To Plastic: You've had your fun and i hope this joke was worth it.

To the rest of the people, this thread shouldn't continue any longer. I'll spare you guys the reasons as to why.

OK!!! To Plastic: You've had your fun and i hope this joke was worth it.

To the rest of the people, this thread shouldn't continue any longer. I'll spare you guys the reasons as to why.

C2H: It's cool. I think many of us have discovered the wonders of the ignore user feature. I know Plastic is on mine. This is actually a good forum-unfortunatly started by a mental midget :lol:

Being the oldest master planned community, you can see that is failed, crime is everywhere and the mall is a piss poor excuse of a mall.  Many of the other high-rise developements were cancelled after suburban decay took affect.  The ones that remain are not in any better shape.

What are you talking about? I would not say crime is rampant (do not stereotype Sharpstown by the apartments). What high rises were planned. I am sure there were some, but I bet they were canceled when Houston went bust. The mall isn't that bad, though I may change my tune with Cinnabon gone and Foley's possibly being a Macy's.

700 posts!

Guest Plastic

OK it's gridlike. The major streets of SHarpstown, West Houston,River Oaks,Bellaire,Katy Area, and CHampions all do make it a grid.

SO it's not a ture grid patter......we'll cal it a suburban grid pattern.

And yes I'm quite serious about todays subrubs being tommorows centers of development. Just look at the Galleria, 50 odd years ago yo woldn't have seen the largest tower away from a downtown district in the world.

You can't dispute, The Belt is more or less the border of our central buisness district. Downtown Houston will be in no way close to Manhattan no matter how hard we try, A rich suburban woman was teaching at Sharpstown in the early 90s. Hey were making a ruccus and acting silly. She got mad and made an outburts"You inner city children.". A few of the students thought it funny and looked around cause they were think ing that they weren't inner city children. But it's true, for other ctities 12 miles out might be suburbs but for Housotn, it's the inner city.

Mannhattan,Brooklyn,The Bronx,Staten Island,and Queens could probrably all fit inside the 610 loop, if not the belt. That's their entire city. New Jersey is right across the river and that's considered the suburbs. From Manhattan to New Jersey is probrably like from The Loop to DOwntown.

They consider it completley outrageous when they hear the distances we drive in Texas. From Houston to Dallas there's more distance the from New York to Washington. Their cities are so close together them goning from Houston to Dallas is like going from Houston to Galveston.

Seriously how old are you? Just because a 4 (or according to you 9) streets make a box does not mean it is a grid!!

And "Just look at the Galleria, 50 odd years ago yo woldn't have seen the largest tower away from a downtown district in the world." This sentence makes little sense, though I think I know what you are talking about. How is inside the belt the CBD? That is not central it is spread out, not to mention a large percentage is residential not (office) commercial.

WTF??? Hit by Katrina? Seriously how old are you and where do you live because no one who lives even within ten miles of the belt would categorize the entire area as the CBD. My original post was much harsher but I didn't feel it was nice to insult those with certain ummm deficiencies. I really hope this is all a joke or that you are still in middle school or something.

Yes the core is in the belt, but it is not Downtown, there is a huge difference.

This topic has unfortunately degenerated into one that's not even worth checking for new posts, which is bad for the forum. Usually, we manage to keep from bickering over small things and rarely do we insult other members. If a topic is uninteresting or poorly expressed, it usually dies a quiet death or sometimes turns into something worth discussing. This one has done neither.

Let's either discuss whatever points Plastic or others have made so far or leave it alone and move on.

• 6 months later...
Guest Plastic

As we've argued before Houston's Downtown may not be the Central Business DIstrict. I say the everything more or less inside Beltway 8 is the CBD or heart of Houston.

While there's been mass effort to reconstruct DOwntown that's not really the whole CBD. Unlike a city like New York or Chicago Houstonians commute up to 40 miles to Downtown on average. This is a rapidly expanding city,what was hot 20 years ago is not so ot in the present. Our design is built more like Los Angeles.

WHile many people move further and further away from DOwntown that leaves the innercity to rust. There's a big battle on weather we shoudl develop DOwntown or not. The answer is simple. I should have been remodeled no later than20 years ago. This city is far behind on projects. We're just getting new sports complexes and venues. We got a "so called" transit system. And as far as tourism is concerned we've got none. Technically there wa redevelopment Downtown in the 80s. All the oil companies were building towers and skyscrapers Downtown. As for shoping and entertainment there was none.

To answer the question we shouldn't have to redevelop Downtown cause it should have been done a long time ago. Now we need to start working on newley decaying areas. Sharpstown,almeda,and Greenspoint are going down and some parts of Westheimer don't look liek they used to.

There's mass plan to move people Downtown. This is a bad idea being that they're having a hard time filling the lofts that they've built Downtown and the rent's too high. I'm no complainer but if you move tens of thousands of people DOwntown you're gonna have a huge problem with transportation. People in Houston like to drive and there's not enough space to park your car. Like New York you'll need a heavy mass transit plan. DOwntown is hardenough getting people too and from work. Although there's a plan to build shops there's not enough shopping and retail to support people Downtown. If you're gonna have that much traffic in there I'm not gona wanna work there.

If anything I'd rather seem them redevelopp Galveston.

Archived