Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

this is great stuff for the area. However I don't understand the rendering of the "plaza". @Urbannizer you said the city would have to cede a portion of Drew st. Does this company also own the other block adjacent to this site? I don't really get where this plaza fits in as I don't see a site plan either in your post or on Ziegler Coopers website.

• Like 1

In the original post, it said this company grabbed two blocks in midtown.  I would guess that the other block is across Drew street from this location, if that is where they want to put the pizza plaza

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, lockmat said:

Is Drew an often used street at this location, Midtowners?

I hate giving up right of ways, but that looks pretty cool.

You can't cross over the rail line at this location and the blocks running parallel on either side aren't one way... so I don't see abandonment as a huge issue.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

In the original post, it said this company grabbed two blocks in midtown.  I would guess that the other block is across Drew street from this location, if that is where they want to put the pizza plaza

Look at the last two renderings above your post.  You can see their Ten Celsius in both which will give you an idea.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

You can't cross over the rail line at this location and the blocks running parallel on either side aren't one way... so I don't see abandonment as a huge issue.

I almost feel like Metro should make a few of those medians fully paved over and easy to cross for pedestrians. I mean you already have to cross the tracks to get across the street or get on a station platform. 

• Like 1

They have a couple pedestrian crossings - here's an example crossing at Clebourne

They have a zig zag in the median, making you realize that you're going to be crossing train tracks.  If they were going to do a new one, though, I would make one with small crossing arms that come down when the train is coming - make it safer since people would be likely crossing from that plaza to the park

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7359958,-95.3814442,3a,75y,359.51h,73.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSVnCNnqyIYEwRAa2ozgWtg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

15 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I almost feel like Metro should make a few of those medians fully paved over and easy to cross for pedestrians. I mean you already have to cross the tracks to get across the street or get on a station platform. 

"Can't cross over" was referring to cars.  You can walk over at the Drew intersection, as shown in this pre-Camden/Superblock Park GoogleMaps picture:

Untitled

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Of all of the project yet to break ground, this is the one I am most anxious for. It's not a ground breaker height wise or even architecturally but it will pioneer the high rise residential district that should have been taking place along the Main St. transit corridor all along. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Of all of the project yet to break ground, this is the one I am most anxious for. It's not a ground breaker height wise or even architecturally but it will pioneer the high rise residential district that should have been taking place along the Main St. transit corridor all along. 

Its been interesting seeing how developers are approaching the block and main street or the street in general. I'm working on a thesis that addresses this and its not an easy task. Whats been nice is how developers are addressing parking garages and how that works on the site. Before it was simply building and then attached garage. Now its a more an integrated whole. Its been a slow process, but gradually these developers are cracking a code on how to work with these blocks juggling the apartments and parking structures together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Its been interesting seeing how developers are approaching the block and main street or the street in general. I'm working on a thesis that addresses this and its not an easy task. Whats been nice is how developers are addressing parking garages and how that works on the site. Before it was simply building and then attached garage. Now its a more an integrated whole. Its been a slow process, but gradually these developers are cracking a code on how to work with these blocks juggling the apartments and parking structures together.

• Like 1

It's great that the developer understand

the need to add wide canopies encompassing the entire block.This allows a greater street presence and pedestrian friendly experience.Like the Rice Lofts Downtown the block by default becomes a magnetic draw, people just want to be there.This project will create the same synergy for Midtown,as in the old saying if you build it they will come. I can visualize the crowded street scene there.

• Like 3

I walk during my lunch breaks and I can assure the canopies make a world of difference. 

Trees do too.

Instead of archaic rules that hinder pedestrian development they should be encouraging developers to do this. Heck they should be giving these guys a tax break instead of making them beg for a variance. 

The big drawback I see with canopies are people sleeping underneath them and defecating and urinating right where they sleep.

But if this project is successful there will be a flood of activity around it and that would limit chances of vagrants fouling up the sidewalk

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm... Caydon isn't involved in anything on a block fronting McGowen, are they?

Speaking of which, just looked at this on Google Earth... are these soil samples? The upper block is the "Tower 1" block, the lower one is east of Fannin. Dated January 23, 2017.

soil_samples_midtown.png

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2

I wonder if those were just mobile COWs (Cells-On-Wheels) to provide extra mobile phone coverage during the Super Bowl festivities.  They put up a whole bunch in Downtown then, and maybe Midtown got some too.

Edit: I think the lower one (with a fence) is a COW but the upper one may well be doing soil samples.

Edited by rechlin
  • Like 3

Uhhh... I'm not sure what to make of this. Those are filings for actual buildings, not cell towers, and they were just submitted 2 days ago. Construction timeline puts both towers as being built simultaneously over the course of 4 years and 10 months time..

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, cloud713 said:

Uhhh... I'm not sure what to make of this. Those are filings for actual buildings, not cell towers, and they were just submitted 2 days ago. Construction timeline puts both towers as being built simultaneously over the course of 4 years and 10 months time..

He was answering my post and photo about the possible soil samples, not the initial post.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

Site of Tower 1: There were early articles of Caydon purchasing this block as well for his Midtown project. Either he's behind this or he sold the site to another developer.

35326565072_c5a3d81c2f_h.jpg

Site of Tower 2: Renovations are planned for the GreenStreet building, so this one may not take up the entire block.

35107165030_11d3b54769_h.jpg

• Like 5

Apparently the Greensheet site, which includes most of the parking on that block, was sold to McAlpine Interests of Kingwood last June. They seem like a typical investor.

No recent ownership changes on the next block south with Art Supply. The vacant eastern portion of the block is owned by the same people who sold Caydon their land.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 6:37 PM, Urbannizer said:

Site of Tower 1: There were early articles of Caydon purchasing this block as well for his Midtown project. Either he's behind this or he sold the site to another developer.

Site of Tower 2: Renovations are planned for the GreenStreet building, so this one may not take up the entire block.

Instead of paint, I highly recommend the Snipping Tool. Should already be installed.

• Like 1