Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

there are few better views of the pierce elevated.

and it has an unrivaled view of the greyhound station.

If you get a balcony facing east and if it is high enough up so you don't smell the Mc Donalds, or their patrons, it would be a great viewpoint to watch all sorts of interesting things happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samagon said:

there are few better views of the pierce elevated.

and it has an unrivaled view of the greyhound station.

If you get a balcony facing east and if it is high enough up so you don't smell the Mc Donalds, or their patrons, it would be a great viewpoint to watch all sorts of interesting things happen.

You're just an elevator ride from the illicit drug bazaar that surrounds the bus station too.

58 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Real question: what steps could be taken to improve that area

How do you make people who sell drugs and/or beg for a living and live on the streets go away? The cops don't care about this area. I've seen drugs being sold with cops sitting in a car just a few yards away. The cops will care when the people in the neighborhood care. That might happen if more people who have standards and don't believe standing on a corner and drinking from a brown bag are valid lifestyle choices move to the area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

Real question: what steps could be taken to improve that area?

Well, for one thing when the Pierce Elevated is dismantled, this will not be an issue anymore, because I truly believe that by then Central Houston/Downtown district will realize that the bus station needs to move to a new location, with better security and hopefully not next to a McDonalds. There is just too much at stake at this juncture to allow for a bus station to create such a dead zone in an area that should be [producing high tax revenue dollars for the city from successful properties along this southern edge of downtown.

Since Texdot owns the land and they are going to be taking peoples property on the east side for their new freeway design perhaps they should swap those properties to the eastside property holder for reimbursement. I know, I know,  thats not how it works and besides the value of the Pierce elevated property is probably much higher than that on the east side. Just a hypothetical.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgriff said:

How do you make people who sell drugs and/or beg for a living and live on the streets go away? The cops don't care about this area. I've seen drugs being sold with cops sitting in a car just a few yards away. The cops will care when the people in the neighborhood care. That might happen if more people who have standards and don't believe standing on a corner and drinking from a brown bag are valid lifestyle choices move to the area.

The solution in complicated. You can hope people will want to improve their lives and not live on the streets but that doesn't just happen. There has to be better mental health care, substance abuse programs, education systems to lower dropout rates, and so on. There is no one magic bullet. Even police can only throw them in for a short time and they are back on the streets. They need programs to improve prison systems to give those who a released a step up to get back in the community and not back on the streets. But at the end of the day even improving all those and there are still people who are okay with that lifestyle. All development does is push them to a new area to hangout. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

The solution in complicated. You can hope people will want to improve their lives and not live on the streets but that doesn't just happen. There has to be better mental health care, substance abuse programs, education systems to lower dropout rates, and so on. There is no one magic bullet. Even police can only throw them in for a short time and they are back on the streets. They need programs to improve prison systems to give those who a released a step up to get back in the community and not back on the streets. But at the end of the day even improving all those and there are still people who are okay with that lifestyle. All development does is push them to a new area to hangout. 

Fantastic posting.

30 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

Sounds expensive. To tell you the truth I'm more inclined to make the drugs legal and give them all the money that we'd spend on these programs. Then the problem will solve itself.

I had family who were in the mental health field as psychiatrists and social workers in the 1960's to the 1980's. They predicted this very thing was to happen when the mental hospitals were being emptied and mentally ill patients were being released with the idea that: (1) they would continue taking their medicine and (2) they would visit a physician every month for follow ups. They said that was a false idea which would only work among a small number. The majority would wind up living in the streets if their families did not take them in. We now see the results. Making drugs legal will not get them off the streets, alleyways, etc. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Serious question because I don’t know..... are all Greyhound stations in the US dealing with the same issues we do here in Houston?  I can’t imagine there’s really a nice one right...?

used to take greyhound almost every weekend when I was in school along the corridor from San Antonio to New Orleans.

San Antonio's station is downtown caddy corner from Travis Mark and St Marks Church. The park is incessantly filled with homeless because they are fed there but the Greyhound is transient free.

Lafayette's is in the middle of town by the post office and again no Homeless problem.

Baton Rouge's is next to a halfway house and again very unlike Houston's.

New Orlean's is a hub for both greyhound and Mega bus in addition to Amtrak and local buses and street cars. It is in between the Super Dome and the CBD. Again no big homeless problem.

I have said a zillion times it's not the greyhound giving the area a bad name but rather it's circumstances giving greyhound a bad name.

1. There are countless programs geered to the poor, homeless or addicted in the area. Greyhound is just a hangout. Move greyhound and they will simply find a new hangout.

2. There are many churches in a half mile area that feed the homeless under Pierce. Move the greyhound and the homeless will still be fed under the Pierce. 

3. People released from Huntsville are released there. Many have no where to go and simply stay. Moving the Greyhound may help in this case but it may not as these people get fed, and helped with services in the area so even though they may be dropped off at another location, like pigeons they will still zoom in where the food is being doled. 

Wheeler station is just the same. Daily food drop offs, churches in the area and that employment service just creates a system to grow these homeless camps.

In fact half I see many of the patrons of the greyhound area commuting from that homeless camp near Fiesta.

Edited by HoustonIsHome
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Turning back to Caydon's project, I'm quite curious as to how the upper sections of the two northern towers will look.  The renderings we had of the lower floors--before they got pulled--suggested a nice streetscape and a design that might vary more from the standard Ziegler Cooperesque apartment towers we've been seeing of late.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this snippet from the article on 3300 Main was interesting:

"Developers have taken notice of Midtown's appeal. Australia-based Caydon Property Group broke ground on its own residential high-rise in Midtown just a few months ago, and the developer already has another 26-story high-rise in the planning stages close by."

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/Exclusive-Long-Awaited-30-Story-Midtown-Tower-Breaks-Ground/201230 

26 stories suggests a high rise substantially shorter than what the FAA filings would otherwise suggest.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

"Developers have taken notice of Midtown's appeal. Australia-based Caydon Property Group broke ground on its own residential high-rise in Midtown just a few months ago, and the developer already has another 26-story high-rise in the planning stages close by."

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/Exclusive-Long-Awaited-30-Story-Midtown-Tower-Breaks-Ground/201230 

26 stories suggests a high rise substantially shorter than what the FAA filings would otherwise suggest.

I would be happy with anything over 10 stories. The area is building momentum.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

I think maybe the writer might have been confused.  Isn't the Caydon building that is under construction going to be 26 stories? And I'm pretty sure it is slated to be the shortest of the three planned Caydon towers. It seems they may have confused the current building with the next one that is under development (unless, of course, Caydon's plans have changed).

For convenience, I'm reposting the FAA filing links:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=335960229&row=2

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=335958451&row=1

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

Just now, Houston19514 said:

I think maybe the writer might have been confused.  Isn't the Caydon building that is under construction going to be 26 stories? And I'm pretty sure it is slated to be the shortest of the three planned Caydon towers. It seems they may have confused the current building with the next one that is under development (unless, of course, Caydon's plans have changed).

The tower currently under construction is 27 stories:

http://www.hoar.com/market/2850-fannin-street/ 

I filled out the "contact us" form at Caydon's website to ask about the second tower, with a reference to the article to see if I can get clarification.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

For convenience, I'm reposting the FAA filing links:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=335960229&row=2

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=335958451&row=1

544’ and 621’ for District 1 and 2, respectively!  Unprecedented for Houston residential development... I LIKE IT!

• Like 7