Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

36 minutes ago, Timoric said:

Wonder if the developer will have a nice one for himself in the building like Judge Roy in the Astrodome, which was featured as the most expensive hotel room in the world on That's Incredible or Ripley's Believe It or Not if memory serves

Is this officially your "edgy snarky" comments phase of your internet life?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timoric said:

Either that or the large number of Coronas today

I’ll take “edgy/snarky” with a nod to history over “self-important/pedantic/condescending/humorless/inflexible/veiled snarky/utterly un-self-aware” any day of the week.

Coronas, well, that just makes the contest that much easier.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

they are inviting an increase in insect and rat problems throughout the building. 

It's called nature and it's an essential part of living on this planet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Triton said:

It's called nature and it's an essential part of living on this planet.

Ummmm not really. Nature great. The parts that bring disease...not so great. However,

31 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I respectfully disagree.  Not only does it look displeasing to the eye, in my opinion, but they are inviting an increase in insect and rat problems throughout the building. 

Theres a difference between living in a jungle in a building that has these things. Its a completely different thing when its applied as a controled aesthetic that doubly functions a way to cool the building and bring a sense of nature.

I have yet to hear any evidence that this approach does what you suggest. The aesthetic part might not be your cup of tea, and thats fine ("to each his own"), but I'll have to contend with you in regards to insects and rats. Maybe I'm ignorant, but do you have evidence to support this claim?

I agree Triton. I pulled up my lawn and planted a forest around my house. Sunday I found a praying mantis and a walking-stick bug in my bathroom. Creepy, but that's a small price to pay for enjoying my food forest. 

Luminare great photos. I wish they would do that with the old Exxon/ Humble Oil building downtown

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Now that is a great suggestion. 

12 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

I agree Triton. I pulled up my lawn and planted a forest around my house. Sunday I found a praying mantis and a walking-stick bug in my bathroom. Creepy, but that's a small price to pay for enjoying my food forest. 

Luminare great photos. I wish they would do that with the old Exxon/ Humble Oil building downtown

• Like 1

I live along a canal on the lake and my property is heavily wooded. One section is relatively untouched east Texas forest. We have opossums, skunks, raccoons, which traverse our yard. We love it except all the skeeters we have. Having said that I still think the design looks ugly and the folks who live there better be ready for insect and potentially vermin problems. Rats and mice will have no problem climbing all that greenery.  Saying is nature could include cancer, tornadoes, malaria etc. We have houses to keep much of nature out.

Edited by Twinsanity02
Addition
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Wait 200 years and that's what it will look like (as long as no one does anything with it)

• Like 1

The green buildings are unique for sure. I question the maintenance aspect more than the bugs and rats though. I have had fist fights with roaches and a honey bee invasion in my non-green building so it can happen anywhere in the city. I’ve seen rats living in fig ivy along walls for sure. All good points and all should be considered frankly. There are ways to control all these creatures though, and it shouldn’t stop us from being creative with design right? Just get creative with solutions at the same time. Or we could channel cable news and lose in life. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

And? 

Comments like this goes back to what I posted before in response to these slick comments directed to me: No one says SQUAT when  other posters like Urb, Triton and other non-moderators responding to posts with duplicate news or rendering that have been shared in the forum. But let me do the same thing and it's a problem. Same goes for when I post articles, even when it's not the full article, but paste the important parts. But let anyone else do, who also post the ENTIRE article and there's not a single peep when it's done by others.

I take issue with it. Either direct those comments and apply the same scrutiny to everyone or keep your comments about me to yourself.

This forum gets angry with people quickly but it also forgives and forgets quickly. If you find a consistent criticism aimed at your direction from various people, maybe just listen to it and make an adjustment in your posting style.

Also, you're the only poster who has ever had a problem with Urbannizer. You may seem right in your head, put it's going to be hard to convince other people.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

And? 

Comments like this goes back to what I posted before in response to these slick comments directed to me: No one says SQUAT when  other posters like Urb, Triton and other non-moderators responding to posts with duplicate news or rendering that have been shared in the forum. But let me do the same thing and it's a problem. Same goes for when I post articles, even when it's not the full article, but paste the important parts. But let anyone else do, who also post the ENTIRE article and there's not a single peep when it's done by others.

I take issue with it. Either direct those comments and apply the same scrutiny to everyone or keep your comments about me to yourself.

Something my boss once told me a little while back was, "You don't have to act like you have something to prove. You have the talent, and the skill. You don't need to come to work with that monkey on your back." I had already been applying this to life, but was still carrying that "monkey" on my back when it comes to architecture / work at the office, when in reality I didn't have too. What I took away from that was the deeper meaning of letting my work do the talking for me. This goes the same for you. You have the great posting history, you are one of the best in finding info that the community values (even when it sometimes seems like the community doesn't). Let your work speak for you, so you don't have too. If you want to sprinkle some snark, wit, and passion then put that into your actual posts. Let that do the work for you instead of your replies.

• Thanks 2

This is in the description of the first link so it looks like 4 buildings with the tallest 53 floors

A group of high-rise buildings with a maximum height of 53 stories. There are 4 high rise towers located on one site. Longitude and latitude have been provided per the attached exhibit.

• Like 6