Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

https://lanewaysmidtown.com/?cf_su=1&cf_id=95

Caydon, one of Australia’s leading lifestyle developers, presents a new vision for Houston, inspired by the iconic streets of Melbourne.

High-rise multi-family residences, condominiums, a boutique hotel, food and beverage outlets, health and wellbeing offerings, green spaces and laneways will all come together in a beautiful mix of culture and community in the heart of Midtown.

• Like 5

Interesting.   I dig that Caydon is embracing ground floor retail throughout the site to build a mini-community folks can walk through.  From this overview, it looks as though there might be four distinct structures north of the currently-under-construction highrise.  I'm quite curious to see what Caydon does with these smaller footprints.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Do we know what Midtown Arcade is? I know they are trying to renovate the Greenstreet building there.

Arcades in Australia refer to alleyways that are either built or converted to house shops, bars, restaurants, entertainment, etc. They're also alternatively called laneways. 

Arcades https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=720&ei=bnORXLrtJ_GV_Qamt63IBw&q=melbourne+arcade&oq=melbourne+arcade&gs_l=img.3..0j0i8i30l9.1506.4727..5209...0.0..0.186.1121.14j2......1....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..35i39.E1kicH3JnAk

Laneways https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=720&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=dHORXLqfFIyO5wKu7ZmwBg&q=melbourne+laneways&oq=melbourne+laneways&gs_l=img.3..0l3j0i5i30j0i8i30l2j0i24l4.98803.100222..100440...0.0..0.109.673.7j1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.cp6qSd3RxhE

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 2

Really, really, really love this site layout. This formula, mid-rise buildings framing narrow pedestrian streets with fine-grained retail, is basically what the good parts of every tourist destination city look like. The mid-rise buildings just happen to have towers on top of them. If you're going to build on a super-block, this is a good way to do it.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Angostura said:

Really, really, really love this site layout. This formula, mid-rise buildings framing narrow pedestrian streets with fine-grained retail, is basically what the good parts of every tourist destination city look like. The mid-rise buildings just happen to have towers on top of them. If you're going to build on a super-block, this is a good way to do it.

You don't have to look very far to see a bad way to do it. Glad things are improving in Midtown.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, bobruss said:

One great thing this image points out is the power of perspective. In this image it appears that the Wells Fargo building is much taller than the Chase building. Now we all know that 

the Chase is 5 floors taller, and definitely the tallest building in Houston. Since the Wells Fargo is much closer to us it creates the illusion of looking taller than the Chase. This is something you have to remember to take into consideration when looking at renderings and recognizing which building is closer, which will obviously make that building seem much taller than it really is. I know most understand this but I felt like there are some that might not have that understanding, and this clearly illustrates this optic.

while Chase has 5 more floors, WellsFargo is in actuality only 10 feet shorter than the Chase building. 1002', and 992' respectively.

even if these buildings were right next to each other, it would be hard to distinguish which was taller

but yeah, perspective sure can mess with a person's mind, and if I didn't know better, I'd think the WF was bigger.

• Like 4

More details from the brochure:

Construction of Laneways’ first residential tower will be completed this summer. It will comprise a broad mix of studios and one and two bedroom apartments for lease.

The four future phases of Laneways are: three multi-family buildings and a condominium project.

Caydon’s partnership with a well-known US hotel operator will herald the rise of Midtown’s first boutique hotel.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

I'm curious as to what type of hotel might go here.  The brochure mentions a "well-known US hotel operator," but also describes the hotel as "boutique."  I think the Hyatt Centric brand might fit that description.

ACE Hotel?! (please)

or some sort of Wyndham?

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

https://product.costar.com/home/news/shared/776417961

Sounds like phase II will consists of three high-rises, with the last being built at a later date.

caydon-property-houston.png

Nearly 20 years ago when my wife and I were early settlers in Post by Midtown square, we never envisioned Midtown looking so GREEN with livable and walkable areas!  

• Like 5

On 3/19/2019 at 5:21 PM, Urbannizer said:

The buildings along McGowen (The Greensheet, Leon’s Lounge, Kim Tai) aren’t on this layout.  Is Caydon planning to commandeer the rest of this block or is the diagram deceiving?  I notice it says “TO McGowen St.” on the right side).

On 3/19/2019 at 5:21 PM, Urbannizer said:

The buildings along McGowen (The Greensheet, Leon’s Lounge, Kim Tai) aren’t on this layout.  Is Caydon planning to commandeer the rest of this block or is the diagram deceiving?  I notice it says “TO McGowen St.” on the right side).

My guess is that Leon's Lounge etc remain in place, and the build-out just covers the current parking lot behind these structures.  The block on the far right in the diagram is slightly smaller than the two on the left, while the actual Dennis-Main-McGowan block is wider than the blocks immediately south, so there is room.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 10:21 AM, Houston19514 said:

I think this is going to be rentals.  My impression is that, to the extent they use the word "condominium" at all in Australia, it does not necessarily mean ownership as it does to us here in the US.

Confirmed.  From ad in Houstonia magazine:  Drewery Place at Laneways Now Leasing in Midtown.  (link doesn't seem to work yet)
Drewery Place at Laneways

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3