Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

2 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

I think more often than not developers would still build with excessively large parking areas; but it's nice to have the option not to. 

Yes, developers would still build parking, because tenants would still WANT parking. 

However, when it stops being a requirement for every site to have their own parking you start to get some small benefits:

• You can more efficiently share parking across uses. Currently, if a coffee shop that's busy during the day and a restaurant that's busy in the evening have any overlap in opening hours, they can't share parking
  • It gets people used to paying for off-street parking (it's hard to park for free in the current zero-minimum areas)
  • It allows someone to build a parking structure to support nearby business, freeing up land for retail or residential development
  • It allows the development sites too small to contain a structure AND a parking lot.

I mostly just want parking to carry a price that's close to the cost of providing it.

15 hours ago, rechlin said:

In the third image of the second link, it appears there is a third tower on the Greensheets building site that is not shown on the other renderings.  Interestng...

38 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

In the third image of the second link, it appears there is a third tower on the Greensheets building site that is not shown on the other renderings.  Interestng...

That's the view looking south, towards the current (27 story) building under construction. At the very least, we will have the 3 buildings with the Caydon development. I'm wondering if there are any legs to the greensheet rumors, or if that was just supposed to indicate the current duo of proposed towers.

Edited by jmosele

4 hours ago, Angostura said:

Planning commission will present today the plan to extend the CBD exemption from parking minimums to Midtown (up to the Spur/59) and Eado (the triangle between 45, 59 and the UP tracks). 

https://twitter.com/HoustonPlanning/status/1034919312962797568

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the CBD exemption from parking minimums?

39 minutes ago, Eastdwntwn said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the CBD exemption from parking minimums?

Not sure how familiar you are, so I'll give a broad explanation.

When you build a house/business/etc, the city of Houston says you have to build so many parking spaces depending on how large whatever you are building is.

The Central Business District has an exemption from (some of) these rules, presumably because there are people that don't need to park to enjoy your establishment. 

The city is looking at expanding those loosened rules to the surrounding areas. 

5 hours ago, wilcal said:

Not sure how familiar you are, so I'll give a broad explanation.

When you build a house/business/etc, the city of Houston says you have to build so many parking spaces depending on how large whatever you are building is.

The Central Business District has an exemption from (some of) these rules, presumably because there are people that don't need to park to enjoy your establishment. 

The city is looking at expanding those loosened rules to the surrounding areas. 

Nicely done.

38 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Midtown and the TMC is about to connect with tall buildings.  It's probably 1.5 miles from TMC to midtown?

I think you are correct. Looking at maps it appears that Cambridge Street, the northern limit of TMC, to I-69 the southern boundary of Midtown is 1.2 to 1.5 miles.   Or so.

It appears the Midtown and Montrose

Skylines will eventually merge.At the street level you can clearly see the Montrose Hanover Tower easily from the vicinity of the Caydon project. The

two, along with the Medical Center &

Museum District skylines are going to be quite impressive.

I'm not concerned about skylines merging. Midtown is a pretty large area and merging might take decades. Especially if developers keep building midrises and low rises along major corridors in prime areas Such as the Mega block. 

What interest me is the Tale of Two cities that is East and West of Main in midtown. East of Caroline has quite a few single family and lower density residences. I highly doubt that that area will change much in the next 30 years or so. That is quite fine as the neighborhood feel in that area appeals to me. 

So that leaves the area west of Caroline. I think Caroline to Bagby is going to be the area to watch out for the higher density hirises that we will be talking about for the next couple of decades. Major thoroughfares run through this area ( Main, Fannin, Travis, Louisiana, Smith, Bagby, San Jacinto, etc) yet this is the are that seems more derelict with more empty lots or unused buildings. I'm just hoping that this development will kick start more projects or revitalize developments along Fannin, San Jacinto and Caroline in Midtown. 

For a community college that large, HCC to me is rather sleepy. I think it can be an asset that makes that area more lively. I remember how the Main Campus of UH was pretty much the same but that is changing so I have hopes for HCC. Especially if they work closely with the proposed Tech District.

46 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

What interest me is the Tale of Two cities that is East and West of Main in midtown. East of Caroline has quite a few single family and lower density residences. I highly doubt that that area will change much in the next 30 years or so. That is quite fine as the neighborhood feel in that area appeals to me. 

This is a very good point. Going vertical is definitely necessary in this city, and I’m sure many of us welcome higher density and more retail, restaurant, and entertainment options which higher density brings. But not every part of town (or, as you point out, even every part of a neighborhood) needs to go vertical. 

Pockets of high-density towers and other vertical developments (in Midtown, downtown, along Allen Parkway, Upper Kirby, Museum District, Med Center, etc.) connected by light rail and other transportation systems should provide for all of the increased capacity inside the loop that we as a city should need in the next 30-40 years, if not longer.

There is still going to be a strong need (and desire) for single-family homes inside the loop. Many people (myself included) have no interest in living in high-rise towers, but still want to be close to these neighborhoods.

• 2 weeks later...

I like  how it pulls the downtown skyline closer to midtown. Once the 3300 Main farther south behind MATCH gets skyward their will be a mass

developing in Midtown around the HCC building on Elgin. This will affect the skyline dramatically. Similarly to what the northern court buildings and the eastern high rises like Catalyst and the Marriott and Hilton have done on that end of downtown.  They've expanded the skylines perimeter.

4 hours ago, bobruss said:

I like  how it pulls the downtown skyline closer to midtown. Once the 3300 Main farther south behind MATCH gets skyward their will be a mass

developing in Midtown around the HCC building on Elgin. This will affect the skyline dramatically. Similarly to what the northern court buildings and the eastern high rises like Catalyst and the Marriott and Hilton have done on that end of downtown.  They've expanded the skylines perimeter.

Plus the other two high rises this group is planning. It's going to be fun to watch.

Well 3300 Main is finally coming out of the ground and it won't be long before both sets of cranes will really give us a feel of what were going to have, in the heart of Midtown. Plus Shultz still has a 16 story building planned for the northern 1/2 of the Ensemble Theater block.

4 hours ago, bobruss said:

Well 3300 Main is finally coming out of the ground and it won't be long before both sets of cranes will really give us a feel of what were going to have, in the heart of Midtown. Plus Shultz still has a 16 story building planned for the northern 1/2 of the Ensemble Theater block.

What project is that?