Jump to content
Urbannizer

Australian Developer Planning Five High-Rises for Midtown

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I'm a neighbor and I love what they've done. My concern though is that the phase II towers may block this building (and its pool etc). But I'm hopeful that they know what they are doing.

I’ve wondered the same thing.  To put four towers on the two blocks north of this building will definitely impact the views. . . The question is, how much?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 4:34 PM, Brooklyn173 said:

Here's a crappy picture of those lights. Really nice detail.

 

20190702_223354.thumb.jpg.808e31ad24f67dcab1fda9e36013889b.jpg

Is it just me, or does it look strange that the lights don’t extend down the length of the tower?  Do you think they will, eventually, extend all the way down?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

Is it just me, or does it look strange that the lights don’t extend down the length of the tower?  Do you think they will, eventually, extend all the way down?

 

I'd rather not have a bright light shining into my bedroom.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Triton said:

 

I'd rather not have a bright light shining into my bedroom.

I don’t disagree.  I just think the lighting scheme in the picture looks unfinished.  If you’re going to have the light shining into the upper floors, why not the lower?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

I don’t disagree.  I just think the lighting scheme in the picture looks unfinished.  If you’re going to have the light shining into the upper floors, why not the lower?

I thought the same. I thought it looked unfinished. I was expecting to see it extend all the way down the next couple of days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarathonMan said:

I don’t disagree.  I just think the lighting scheme in the picture looks unfinished.  If you’re going to have the light shining into the upper floors, why not the lower?

 

I see. That's fair.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/07/11/photos-australian-developers-first-us-apartment.html

 

The building’s first floor also features 13,000 square feet for retail, 80 percent of which has already been leased. The retail tenants that have already leased space in Drewery Place include Austin-based Black Swan Yoga, Houston-based Earthcraft Juicery and

Caydon’s future condo sales center.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

 

Oh hell yes, a juice place. Those kind of places are underrated, you always get a combo coffee shop, or some kind of lower effort food place (sandwiches) when transitioning to healthy stuff but juice places are kinda hard to come by. Its becoming a neighborhood! 

 

Also, you never realize how green Houston actually is until you fly in. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw on Emporis today that they list the construction cost of some, but not all, developments. 3300 Main comes in at $70M, The Driscoll is listed at $150M, and Drewery Place a whopping $200M!  Just by looking at it, it is easy to tell that Drewery Place is high-quality, but WOW!  Two questions to those who are well-versed on high-rise construction:  (1) How reliable are the numbers on Emporis? and (2) Is there really that much of a range in construction cost for similar-sized buildings?  If the answer is yes, I’m a little scared at what the final product at 3300 Main will look like!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I saw on Emporis today that they list the construction cost of some, but not all, developments. 3300 Main comes in at $70M, The Driscoll is listed at $150M, and Drewery Place a whopping $200M!  Just by looking at it, it is easy to tell that Drewery Place is high-quality, but WOW!  Two questions to those who are well-versed on high-rise construction:  (1) How reliable are the numbers on Emporis? and (2) Is there really that much of a range in construction cost for similar-sized buildings?  If the answer is yes, I’m a little scared at what the final product at 3300 Main will look like!

 

Assuming it is accurate, it may have cost more because of the pace of construction. Remember the insane foundation pour?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I saw on Emporis today that they list the construction cost of some, but not all, developments. 3300 Main comes in at $70M, The Driscoll is listed at $150M, and Drewery Place a whopping $200M!  Just by looking at it, it is easy to tell that Drewery Place is high-quality, but WOW!  Two questions to those who are well-versed on high-rise construction:  (1) How reliable are the numbers on Emporis? and (2) Is there really that much of a range in construction cost for similar-sized buildings?  If the answer is yes, I’m a little scared at what the final product at 3300 Main will look like!

 

I actually dont know how accurate Emporis. I'm not sure how they would have access to the contractors fees. 

 

for your second question. Yes. A lot of it can depend on interior and exterior finishes etc... a lot depends on finishes, difficulty of construction, and of course how fast the owner wants it. If the contractor has to throw a bunch of extra people on it to complete it quicker, then the owner is going to pay more. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

 

I actually dont know how accurate Emporis. I'm not sure how they would have access to the contractors fees. 

 

for your second question. Yes. A lot of it can depend on interior and exterior finishes etc... a lot depends on finishes, difficulty of construction, and of course how fast the owner wants it. If the contractor has to throw a bunch of extra people on it to complete it quicker, then the owner is going to pay more. 

 

I know that this is kind of a debate in the architectural community, but it really shouldn't. Do we measure the height of mountains by the highest base camp one can inhabit? That same logic gets put into the height of buildings where the argument is that the tallest should be the highest livable space. Kind of a weak argument. The tallest is to the very tallest point of the material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luminare said:

 

I know that this is kind of a debate in the architectural community, but it really shouldn't. Do we measure the height of mountains by the highest base camp one can inhabit? That same logic gets put into the height of buildings where the argument is that the tallest should be the highest livable space. Kind of a weak argument. The tallest is to the very tallest point of the material.

 

But occupancy by humans is more in the nature of a building than of a mountain. For instance, an office building is a building that allows people to office inside. So when the Petronas Towers were declared taller than the Sears Tower, it struck many as a sham, since the Sears had a higher office floor, while the Petronas relied on a spire. I think this may also affect 600 Travis' rank as tallest building in the South vs. the BoA building in Atlanta.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

 

Wow, retail is already 80% leased. Any idea how much of Mid Main is leased?

I thought that was just the ground floor retail. Units were about 10% leased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

 

But occupancy by humans is more in the nature of a building than of a mountain. For instance, an office building is a building that allows people to office inside. So when the Petronas Towers were declared taller than the Sears Tower, it struck many as a sham, since the Sears had a higher office floor, while the Petronas relied on a spire. I think this may also affect 600 Travis' rank as tallest building in the South vs. the BoA building in Atlanta.

 

 

I'll probably agree with @Luminare on this one. Consider me biased though. When you start getting that high, the stuctural engineering of items associated with wind loads get more and more challenging. A spire to me, is a structural member that has to be accounted for.

 

That being said, I understand the Pro-Sears tower/Willis Tower position on occupied floor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

 

I'll probably agree with @Luminare on this one. Consider me biased though. When you start getting that high, the stuctural engineering of items associated with wind loads get more and more challenging. A spire to me, is a structural member that has to be accounted for.

 

That being said, I understand the Pro-Sears tower/Willis Tower position on occupied floor. 

 

I should note that I am not firmly in the "highest floor" camp, just keeping the debate open. This also famously played out in the race between the Chrysler building and the Manhattan Co. building to be the tallest in the world, where a long spire was hidden secretly inside an elevator shaft of the Chrysler until the Manhattan Co. building was completed, then triumphantly raised up above the roof to steal the record back.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

 

I should note that I am not firmly in the "highest floor" camp, just keeping the debate open. This also famously played out in the race between the Chrysler building and the Manhattan Co. building to be the tallest in the world, where a long spire was hidden secretly inside an elevator shaft of the Chrysler until the Manhattan Co. building was completed, then triumphantly raised up above the roof to steal the record back.

 

 

 

Was going to mention that in my original response! The argument for highest livable space in regards to height has a good argument when a buildings top is pretty flat and they just throw a spire on top. Thats pretty lazy. If the crown/spire is an integral part of the design then thats another. The Spire in London would be a good example of this. Its pyramidal form that gradually rises to a point and its clearly a design feature of the building and not just primarily to make it "tallest".

Edited by Luminare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

I thought Flying Biscuit Cafe had a lease here. I see “Black Swan Yoga” specifically referenced, but not Flying Biscuit. 

 

I might have to give the leasing office a call for clarification.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:



Updated site plan of Drewery Place at Laneways , the Caydon development, 2850 Fannin St in Midtown Houston.

This is from a recent updated leasing brochure from Shop Companies.


Missing from this is The Flying Biscuit, the breakfast restaurant in the 3,200 sf space at 2850 Fannin, on the corner of Fannin and Drew.

The website for the midtown Houston location is up still with a fall 2019 arrival. But the site map seems to suggest otherwise. 

https://flyingbiscuit.com/locations-2/houston/ (archive link)




https://shopcompanies.com/properties/drewery-place (archive link)

Brochure: https://shopcompanies.com/properties/pdf/drewery-place (archive link)


rFnjEVe.jpg
 

 

Now that is one tightly packed in floor plan. I don't see an ounce of fat in that. Even with an entire lot its hard to pack in what they packed in and still cater to parking. This is a good sign for the rest, and with the recent added exemptions to parking for this part of Midtown, hopefully that will give them some more flexibility to do even more.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, X.R. said:

Also, it seemed like they already had stuff in the lot in front of the building, where it’s fenced off. Tools and stuff from the current building or are they starting right away after everything is online with the apartments? Either way, very cool.

I think they’re planning to start the next phase at the first of the year.  Maybe they’ll demo the art supply building before that, but I’d guess they want a little time buffer to let Drewery Place grow roots before they start disrupting the neighborhood with new construction.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like every tower has been stated as a none hazard. There's about 7 more of these docs, but they're all the same. 

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/WebBlobServlet

 

Weirdly enough the amount of cases for the development is at 8 (the 150+ m part). Hopefully we can get a rendering, or maybe even an explanation on what this guy has planned. Seems like it's a lot bigger than we previously expected. 

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchResults.jsp?action=searchDeterminedCases&orderCol=6&orderMode=desc&pageNum=1

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Units on several floors are lit up at night - not sure if or how many are actually occupied yet.
 

 

rear.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

Units on several floors are lit up at night - not sure if or how many are actually occupied yet.
 

 

rear.PNG

Me looking at the tower from my office once we fall back to standard time.....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend is moving in today.  I will try to probe for as much information as I can. 

 

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

A friend is moving in today.  I will try to prove for as much information as I can. 

 

Offer to help them carry some things in and get some pictures for us!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Offer to help them carry some things in and get some pictures for us!

 

I second this and will raise the stakes by also offering to carry some things if I can check out the amenities deck!

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Units on several floors are lit up at night - not sure if or how many are actually occupied yet.
 

 

rear.PNG

 

Me while I've been working on this map.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This developer works fast! They said summer 2019 and now it's done. I hope the next phases go as planned.

 

The lot in front of the mural looks to be vacant now - I remember seeing it used as storage and parking for the construction crew.

 

What about the huge block of vacant buildings diagonally across the street (on Fannin between Anita and Tuam)? I passed by and saw a law firm in one corner and some building with a green stripe that I think used to be a club.

 

I'm crossing my fingers that midtown becomes more walkable and safe with all of these new developments!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BeerNut said:

@mls1202 https://imgur.com is where I upload my pictures then link to here.

 

@mls1202

 

was just about to recommend that. Don't attach, just link. When posting a photo from imgur, when you click on the photo 2nd from the bottom you will see "BBCode". Just paste that into the post and when you post the image will appear.

Great photos by the way!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mls1202 said:

I toured one of their largest floor plans, a 2B2B (I don’t recall which floor). This is the shot out of the living room/kitchen space with a nice view of the pool. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the fit and finish of the property, although some of the built in shelves in the bedroom were definitely of the apartment variety. I might have expected more for >$4500 a month, but I think this is common in all the high end rentals. Ok post some additional pics once I figure how to get around this 10mb limit on uploads. 

39FC1CD8-159A-478C-AABC-2A4B2B5C55B1.jpeg

More shots from my tour of a 2B2B. The rest are of the community areas. 

F81684EF-1D50-46E5-B193-D26B3B266537.jpeg

B91CF19D-8758-4E95-8821-2E53B20C8E17.jpeg

3791C807-D2E4-4E62-8E36-3A21B4B35532.jpeg

E58D276D-616E-49BA-B4CC-6C2C5A2A2FF8.jpeg

I don't get the 4500.00 a month vibe either maybe 3500.00. 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, htownbro said:

I don't get the 4500.00 a month vibe either maybe 3500.00. 😁

 

Maybe 4500 is in Australian Dollars? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Derrek Larouax --Caydon USA

"The Metro light rail offered us an opportunity to provide a lifestyle offering that is not vehicle centric"

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pray for a BB Lemon (love that version of BB) but also an El Tiempo. An El Tiempo in that part of town would  flamethrower GIF  the competition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, X.R. said:

I pray for a BB Lemon (love that version of BB) but also an El Tiempo. An El Tiempo in that part of town would    the competition. 

 

There's an El Tiempo less than a mile away on Westheimer...   Probably need to walk after gorging yourself on Tex-Mex.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...