Urbannizer

Australian Developer Planning Five High-Rises for Midtown

That looks great. I hope we can get some vertical greenery! Something like Bosco Verticale being the ultimate goal. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Timoric said:

Wonder if the developer will have a nice one for himself in the building like Judge Roy in the Astrodome, which was featured as the most expensive hotel room in the world on That's Incredible or Ripley's Believe It or Not if memory serves

Is this officially your "edgy snarky" comments phase of your internet life?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timoric said:

Either that or the large number of Coronas today

I’ll take “edgy/snarky” with a nod to history over “self-important/pedantic/condescending/humorless/inflexible/veiled snarky/utterly un-self-aware” any day of the week.

Coronas, well, that just makes the contest that much easier.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree.  Not only does it look displeasing to the eye, in my opinion, but they are inviting an increase in insect and rat problems throughout the building. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

they are inviting an increase in insect and rat problems throughout the building. 

It's called nature and it's an essential part of living on this planet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Triton said:

It's called nature and it's an essential part of living on this planet.

Ummmm not really. Nature great. The parts that bring disease...not so great. However,

31 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I respectfully disagree.  Not only does it look displeasing to the eye, in my opinion, but they are inviting an increase in insect and rat problems throughout the building. 

Theres a difference between living in a jungle in a building that has these things. Its a completely different thing when its applied as a controled aesthetic that doubly functions a way to cool the building and bring a sense of nature.

I have yet to hear any evidence that this approach does what you suggest. The aesthetic part might not be your cup of tea, and thats fine ("to each his own"), but I'll have to contend with you in regards to insects and rats. Maybe I'm ignorant, but do you have evidence to support this claim?

I agree Triton. I pulled up my lawn and planted a forest around my house. Sunday I found a praying mantis and a walking-stick bug in my bathroom. Creepy, but that's a small price to pay for enjoying my food forest. 

Luminare great photos. I wish they would do that with the old Exxon/ Humble Oil building downtown

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Now that is a great suggestion. 

12 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

I agree Triton. I pulled up my lawn and planted a forest around my house. Sunday I found a praying mantis and a walking-stick bug in my bathroom. Creepy, but that's a small price to pay for enjoying my food forest. 

Luminare great photos. I wish they would do that with the old Exxon/ Humble Oil building downtown

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I live along a canal on the lake and my property is heavily wooded. One section is relatively untouched east Texas forest. We have opossums, skunks, raccoons, which traverse our yard. We love it except all the skeeters we have. Having said that I still think the design looks ugly and the folks who live there better be ready for insect and potentially vermin problems. Rats and mice will have no problem climbing all that greenery.  Saying is nature could include cancer, tornadoes, malaria etc. We have houses to keep much of nature out.

Edited by Twinsanity02
Addition
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Wait 200 years and that's what it will look like (as long as no one does anything with it)

• Like 1

Just read in Houstonia that the "Athletic" looking place is going to be another outpost of Black Swan Yoga.

• Like 3

The green buildings are unique for sure. I question the maintenance aspect more than the bugs and rats though. I have had fist fights with roaches and a honey bee invasion in my non-green building so it can happen anywhere in the city. I’ve seen rats living in fig ivy along walls for sure. All good points and all should be considered frankly. There are ways to control all these creatures though, and it shouldn’t stop us from being creative with design right? Just get creative with solutions at the same time. Or we could channel cable news and lose in life. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iah77 said:

Just read in Houstonia that the "Athletic" looking place is going to be another outpost of Black Swan Yoga.

Yes, it was posted here when the news of Black Swan Yoga was first reported in April:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33529-australian-developer-planning-five-high-rises-for-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=588993

On 4/10/2019 at 9:54 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Two more retail tenants announced for  Drewery Place at Laneways Midtown , part of The Midtown from Caydon at 2850 Fannin: Earthcraft Juicery and Black Swan Yoga.

Altogether, that's three known tenants. There's also one possible tenant we don't know for sure and a rumored tenant.

From Eater Houston this morning:

New mixed-use development Drewery Place in Midtown is going to be a big draw for breakfast. Retail tenants in the development will include Houston juice shop Earthcraft Juicery along with a new location for all-day breakfast destination The Flying Biscuit. The $200 million residential tower is set to open its doors in July, spanning three city blocks boarded by Main, Fannin, Tuam and McGowen Street.

Earthcraft Juicery serves up vegan apple pie smoothies and fruit-packed bowls, and it will be located alongside a Black Swan Yoga outpost (for maximum wellness). Meanwhile, Georgia-based The Flying Biscuit is making in-roads in Houston: it opened its first area outpost in Memorial City at 12389 Kingsride Lane last December. The breakfast cafe’s website states that the Midtown location is slated to open in the fall at 2850 Fannin Street. 

https://houston.eater.com/2019/4/10/18304437/midtown-earthcraft-juicery-the-flying-biscuit

Zoomed in renderings of Drewery Place at Laneways by Caydon in Houston Midtown. The Flying Biscuit and Black Yoga Swan shown.

EDIT: Renderings removed at the demand of Large arts in Collingwood, Australia.  —Editor
(direct link to non-compressed and full-sized image: https://i.imgur.com/37YXES2.jpg )

(direct link to non-compressed and full-sized image: https://i.imgur.com/UoebRqu.jpg )

1 hour ago, phillip_white said:

Just warning you in advance, but someone on this forum may quote their post from months ago stating that they already provided this information. Not naming any names, but we shall see what transpires... may god have mercy on you.

And? 

Comments like this goes back to what I posted before in response to these slick comments directed to me: No one says SQUAT when  other posters like Urb, Triton and other non-moderators responding to posts with duplicate news or rendering that have been shared in the forum. But let me do the same thing and it's a problem. Same goes for when I post articles, even when it's not the full article, but paste the important parts. But let anyone else do, who also post the ENTIRE article and there's not a single peep when it's done by others.

I take issue with it. Either direct those comments and apply the same scrutiny to everyone or keep your comments about me to yourself.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

And? 

Comments like this goes back to what I posted before in response to these slick comments directed to me: No one says SQUAT when  other posters like Urb, Triton and other non-moderators responding to posts with duplicate news or rendering that have been shared in the forum. But let me do the same thing and it's a problem. Same goes for when I post articles, even when it's not the full article, but paste the important parts. But let anyone else do, who also post the ENTIRE article and there's not a single peep when it's done by others.

I take issue with it. Either direct those comments and apply the same scrutiny to everyone or keep your comments about me to yourself.

This forum gets angry with people quickly but it also forgives and forgets quickly. If you find a consistent criticism aimed at your direction from various people, maybe just listen to it and make an adjustment in your posting style.

Also, you're the only poster who has ever had a problem with Urbannizer. You may seem right in your head, put it's going to be hard to convince other people.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

And? 

Something my boss once told me a little while back was, "You don't have to act like you have something to prove. You have the talent, and the skill. You don't need to come to work with that monkey on your back." I had already been applying this to life, but was still carrying that "monkey" on my back when it comes to architecture / work at the office, when in reality I didn't have too. What I took away from that was the deeper meaning of letting my work do the talking for me. This goes the same for you. You have the great posting history, you are one of the best in finding info that the community values (even when it sometimes seems like the community doesn't). Let your work speak for you, so you don't have too. If you want to sprinkle some snark, wit, and passion then put that into your actual posts. Let that do the work for you instead of your replies.

• Thanks 2

3.jpg

Money-Bag-psd17417.png

^^^ this is still an OPEN FORUM whereby, no one is getting PAID here right?  asking for a friend...

• Like 4

I’m excited for the development, can’t wait for the renderings of the next phases

• Like 1

This is in the description of the first link so it looks like 4 buildings with the tallest 53 floors

A group of high-rise buildings with a maximum height of 53 stories. There are 4 high rise towers located on one site. Longitude and latitude have been provided per the attached exhibit.

• Like 6

On 6/28/2019 at 11:43 AM, Luminare said:

You don't need to come to work with that monkey on your back."

"A monkey on your back" is slang for an addiction.

Perhaps he meant "chip on your shoulder". 

Just noticed that yellow neon (?) lighting has been added to accentuate the angles - really makes this building stand out at night.
(Sorry, can't locate my camera.)

• Like 4

^^^ @Brooklyn173 props for your wonderful contribution.  we had no idea (at least i didn't) that CAYDON was going to surprise us with a building light show... wow!  as i have stated beforehand, "this project just keeps on impressing me constantly".  props again!   

• Like 1

I'm a neighbor and I love what they've done. My concern though is that the phase II towers may block this building (and its pool etc). But I'm hopeful that they know what they are doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I'm a neighbor and I love what they've done. My concern though is that the phase II towers may block this building (and its pool etc). But I'm hopeful that they know what they are doing.

I’ve wondered the same thing.  To put four towers on the two blocks north of this building will definitely impact the views. . . The question is, how much?

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 4:34 PM, Brooklyn173 said:

Here's a crappy picture of those lights. Really nice detail.

20190702_223354.thumb.jpg.808e31ad24f67dcab1fda9e36013889b.jpg

Is it just me, or does it look strange that the lights don’t extend down the length of the tower?  Do you think they will, eventually, extend all the way down?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

Is it just me, or does it look strange that the lights don’t extend down the length of the tower?  Do you think they will, eventually, extend all the way down?

I'd rather not have a bright light shining into my bedroom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triton said:

I'd rather not have a bright light shining into my bedroom.

I don’t disagree.  I just think the lighting scheme in the picture looks unfinished.  If you’re going to have the light shining into the upper floors, why not the lower?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

I don’t disagree.  I just think the lighting scheme in the picture looks unfinished.  If you’re going to have the light shining into the upper floors, why not the lower?

I thought the same. I thought it looked unfinished. I was expecting to see it extend all the way down the next couple of days

1 hour ago, MarathonMan said:

I see. That's fair.

• Like 1