Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

On 2/21/2018 at 11:55 AM, invisibletrees said:

Hoooly sheeeet!!!

This image shows no less than 4 people and a dog narrowly missed by the light rail.  I think this canopy design is going to change since the light rail draws power from the electrical lines above it which arent shown in this image.  Canopy is probably going to be quite a bit taller than shown. 

Eitherway, this is a fantastic development. Wow! hope this gets built as shown. 

Edited by editor
Copyright complaint from Large Arts
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2018 at 2:14 AM, Urbannizer said:

If this rendering is correct, it means they are shutting down the northbound Main Street lane to move the northbound McGowen station on to where the current driving lane is, and out of the median (which in this rendering is now grass -- though I'd be very surprised if they'd want people walking in the median between the trains).  Seems surprising that they'd want to rebuild the station like that.

But this still doesn't seem right -- I thought the project was south of that, along the southbound McGowen station instead.  The above rendering shows that tower taking the place of the block with Mongoose vs Cobra, which seems too far north.  The current construction is between Tuam and Drew, which is 3 blocks south of the above rendering.

Or maybe this is actually the southbound station, and the Australian developers, being used to right-hand-drive traffic, inadvertently rendered the northbound lanes in the foreground instead of the background?

Edited by editor
Copyright complaint from Large Arts
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Purdueenginerd said:

This image shows no less than 4 people and a dog narrowly missed by the light rail.  I think this canopy design is going to change since the light rail draws power from the electrical lines above it which arent shown in this image.  Canopy is probably going to be quite a bit taller than shown. 

Eitherway, this is a fantastic development. Wow! hope this gets built as shown. 

The trams go more slowly in Melbourne

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I wouldn't get too literal with the rendering. It's generally more of a conceptual and emotive image and not meant to be technical. There's a reason they don't give paint brushes to engineers.

Yes and no. At my company we usually receive all engineering plans and designs well before we try to conceptualize anything. Even if this is for some sort of emotional response from the artist, the technical side is usually left out because it's either distracting or simply boring. If the design has made it this far then I'd say what you see is what you get. Some elements are purely conceptual obviously but let's hope for the best. This is beautiful and urban.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I wouldn't get too literal with the rendering. It's generally more of a conceptual and emotive image and not meant to be technical. There's a reason they don't give paint brushes to engineers.

My experience makes me agree with the above.

8 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yes and no. At my company we usually receive all engineering plans and designs well before we try to conceptualize anything. Even if this is for some sort of emotional response from the artist, the technical side is usually left out because it's either distracting or simply boring. If the design has made it this far then I'd say what you see is what you get. Some elements are purely conceptual obviously but let's hope for the best. This is beautiful and urban.

How can you get engineering plans and designs before beginning conceptual design?!  I'm confused.

38 minutes ago, Nole23 said:

I'd say since the first tower is already under construction and we know what that one will look like, these new renderings for the rest of the development can't be too far off.

These seem just a bit more ambitious.

If there are budget constraints, the more expressive architectural elements will be the first to go.

54 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

My experience makes me agree with the above.

How can you get engineering plans and designs before beginning conceptual design?!  I'm confused.

These seem just a bit more ambitious.

If there are budget constraints, the more expressive architectural elements will be the first to go.

Before we make mock ups of anything we have to follow a set of guidelines based off the technical specs. In other words a company can't just send us pics or throw us an idea of what they want without us knowing exactly how it works. On our end we basically have to understand what the engineer has laid out before we can even conceptualize anything. Make sense now?

8 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Before we make mock ups of anything we have to follow a set of guidelines based off the technical specs. In other words a company can't just send us pics or throw us an idea of what they want without us knowing exactly how it works. On our end we basically have to understand what the engineer has laid out before we can even conceptualize anything. Make sense now?

So like project definition you mean?

Caydon needs to partner with Rice on the Sears project. Would love to see them do more projects in midtown.

There's style is fresh and different. Many proposals seem like an interesting building but these renders are interesting both in the form of the building and the functionality with it's surroundings. Love how both buildings interact with it's surroundings. Love the canopies, all the glass, the outside seating, the paths. This may turn into a destination. The apartments across the street is in a park and yet is a much more aloof building. Not very welcoming. 

Anyway, I'm very happy with what I've seen from caydon so far

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ArtNsf said:

Bloody gorgeous renderings !  I hope they stick to this design.  Really ups the anti (sp?) there in Midtown.

ante (unless you were going for some sort of a pun?)

an·te
ˈan(t)ē/
noun

1. 1.
    a stake put up by a player in poker and similar games before receiving cards.
verb

1. 1.
    put up an amount as an ante in poker and similar games.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah I guess you could call it that.

Thanks for that.

I will preface the below by saying I am not an architect or engineer but have worked on the business side on airport projects (public sector--not private, so could be completely different).  This is typically how those large-scale projects go down:

-Prepare a demand forecast

-Apply planning standards to determine facility requirements (square footage of bathrooms, concessions, holdrooms, etc., required)

-Apply facility requirements to financial and physical constraints (site size, affordability, etc.) and state development guidelines--I'd call this program/project definition--a conceptual design typically falls out of this (I'd consider the renderings above a conceptual design)

-Hand over project definition manual to architectural and engineering team for full design

-Often enough during the full design process financial feasibility and other constraints are hit so the design gets "value engineered"--ornamental and difficult/expensive-to-construct elements are the first things removed.  

-Something different and "less impressive" gets built

I assume that's what happened with the Alessandra.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe some developers really operate with a "bait and switch" MO to show "pretty pictures" on the front end (financing, government approvals) and never intend to build the "pretty pictures."  I'd hope that was the exception rather than the rule, though.

The renderings have been removed.  The Australians don't want you see them here.

We are Large Arts. Our firm is the owner of the copyright to the Houston Midtown images and copy. As the copyright owner, we have the exclusive right to reproduce those images, and to authorise the reproduction of those images by others. It has been brought to our intention that this content has been reproduced on houstonarchitecture.com on the below page.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33529-australian-developer-planning-three-high-rises-for-midtown/?do=findComment&comment=565113

We have not authorised you to reproduce those images, and unfortunately, the continuing use of those images on your website has the potential to damage one of our client’s most important client relationships, and increases the risk of financial loss. As such, we demand that you remove this content immediately. Given the urgency of this situation, and the fact that we do not know how you will deal with this demand, we have instructed our lawyers to begin drafting a takedown notice which will be sent to your Internet Service Provider shortly. We hope that you will act on this demand quickly, and that it will not be necessary to send this notice to your ISP.

4 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

How often does this happen?

Very infrequently.  And almost exclusively with foreigners.

American architects and architecture firms are usually flattered when people take an interest in their work.  Most mid-sized and large firms have PR companies who send us photos and renderings to publish all the time.  And in America, once you file your paperwork and renderings with the local government, they become public record.  Perhaps things are different in Australia.

I can only remember it happening once before, and that was with a Belgian company.

19 minutes ago, editor said:

Very infrequently.  And almost exclusively with foreigners.

American architects and architecture firms are usually flattered when people take an interest in their work.  Most mid-sized and large firms have PR companies who send us photos and renderings to publish all the time.  And in America, once you file your paperwork and renderings with the local government, they become public record.  Perhaps things are different in Australia.

I can only remember it happening once before, and that was with a Belgian company.

3372fb5c3421548e0e893b72d8b839dff2050b75

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Thanks for that.

I will preface the below by saying I am not an architect or engineer but have worked on the business side on airport projects (public sector--not private, so could be completely different).  This is typically how those large-scale projects go down:

-Prepare a demand forecast

-Apply planning standards to determine facility requirements (square footage of bathrooms, concessions, holdrooms, etc., required)

-Apply facility requirements to financial and physical constraints (site size, affordability, etc.) and state development guidelines--I'd call this program/project definition--a conceptual design typically falls out of this (I'd consider the renderings above a conceptual design)

-Hand over project definition manual to architectural and engineering team for full design

-Often enough during the full design process financial feasibility and other constraints are hit so the design gets "value engineered"--ornamental and difficult/expensive-to-construct elements are the first things removed.  

-Something different and "less impressive" gets built

I assume that's what happened with the Alessandra.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe some developers really operate with a "bait and switch" MO to show "pretty pictures" on the front end (financing, government approvals) and never intend to build the "pretty pictures."  I'd hope that was the exception rather than the rule, though.

I guess I shouldn't have used the word conceptualize so loosely. Many of the engineers we deal with help us determine what's feasible. From the info we receive from them we build around that. We never show final imagery with many of the technical specs because it's unnecessary or it destroys the composition aesthetically. 

8 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I guess I shouldn't have used the word conceptualize so loosely. Many of the engineers we deal with help us determine what's feasible. From the info we receive from them we build around that. We never show final imagery with many of the technical specs because it's unnecessary or it destroys the composition aesthetically. 

It's entirely possible my experience in public-sector projects is completely different than how a project like this would work.

• Like 1