Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

48 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

https://skyrisecities.com/news/2018/08/district-transform-three-block-site-midtown-houston

Renderings are out again. This article is stating two highrises bookending a podium.

I see 3 high rise towers with a podium? The one being built doesn't look like the other two?

The renderings show the northbound Red Line station relocated from the center of Main to the east side. 

Are there plans to shut down this section of Main? Otherwise I don't know where or how northbound vehicular traffic would be accommodated.
edit: No, wait...that would be the southbound station...but it's described as heading towards downtown? Are those Aussies confused or is it me? Maybe they've forgotten that we drive on the other side of the road.

Edited by dbigtex56
add info

13 minutes ago, bobruss said:

This means the Art supply building is gone for sure. Not Leons lounge. I believe all of the future development is north of the current construction

It looks so. It looks like the podium and 2 towers are north of the current  construction and separated by a promenade with a food truck. Does that count as ground floor retail? 

Anyway this looks really good. They should have been in charge of developing the property across the street. A couple towers well integrated with the park would have looked so much better

42 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Anyway this looks really good. They should have been in charge of developing the property across the street. A couple towers well integrated with the park would have looked so much better

Now that Trammel Crow is out of the Museo Plaza project, I’d be delighted if they could work with Dr. Mann to develop the non-medical office building components of that project.

A magnificent project and it took Australians to see the potential of

Midtown. Now maybe the local developers will stop hem hawing, saying should we build or should we not. 

Perhaps the Hines (who should be the

front-runner in developing Midtown) & The Fingers, Farbs, Randall

Davis.Should get out there and beat the Aussies at they're own game. If they do, Midtown in a few years will be awesome.

20 minutes ago, swtsig said:

how did nobody save them???

i left the page open on my phone and i saved the pictures just now. however i haven't uploaded anything before... if they took the site down, i doubt they would want those pictures up.

super amazing tho... would be on par or better than hines' designs for their 2 blocks downtown.

From what I can gather, Caydon closed on all the land (not just the Art Supply store but also the eastern side of the property owned by RSB Ventures) in the middle block at the end of July.  I could understand the desire to take down the renderings before, as their presence in the public sphere could drive have driven up the land prices.  I'm really puzzled as to why they'd want the renderings down now. 

Edited by houstontexasjack

Very reminiscent of Vancouver-style podium towers: a mid-rise podium provides an engaging, human-scaled streetscape, with relatively narrow laneways between them and lots of ground floor retail, while the towers provide residences with a view and add to the skyline. Best of both worlds, and infinitely better than tower-in-a-parking-lot style highrises.

I'm still pretty new to Houston, so this is an honest question.

The two Skyhouse apartments near the Bell Street light rail station seem to be to be roughly the same height and bulk and density to the ongoing Caydon project. However, the Skyhouse buildings do not seem to have had a dramatic effect on the surrounding neighborhood. The ground floor retail for the two buildings is still underdeveloped. Across the street is still vacant with no (?) rumors of development.

Understanding that, while the two sites are probably just a mile or so apart and there is certainly a difference in the surrounding existing residential and entertainment development (i.e., bars), why is there such a consensus that Caydon will so dramatically change the Midtown area while Skyhouse hasn't had much impact on its neighborhood? And yes, I understand that a long-planned residential tower on Main Street is also now under construction just a few blocks away. To me, the Bell Street Station site seems more similar to the McGowen Street Station site than not. Bell is closer to the Downtown attractions while Caydon is closer to the more developed Midtown residential area. But beyond that, how different are they?

I'm asking to be educated.

Having lived in both Houston House (which is behind the twin Skyhouses) and Skyhouse, they have had an impact on the area in a big way - there's more people walking on the street, it feels more developed (as it would with 3 full blocks of parking replaced with buildings), and the ground floor retail has slowly all filled in - there's now only one small space open in the Skyhouse Houston garage.  The Zydeco dinner is now open longer hours, and places in Greenstreet seem to be getting more traffic on the weekends.

That being said, McGowen will feel more developed, because it's remaining parking lot will always be full of new Cadillacs, and the rest of the blocks all have buildings on them.

1 hour ago, Diaspora said:

Because the extent of the northern block is still under negotiation.

Ah. The renderings suggested the Greensheet Building and others (e.g. Kim Tai) would stick around.  However, I guess it makes sense Caydon would push for that land if it could get it at a reasonable price.

1 hour ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I'm still pretty new to Houston, so this is an honest question.

The two Skyhouse apartments near the Bell Street light rail station seem to be to be roughly the same height and bulk and density to the ongoing Caydon project. However, the Skyhouse buildings do not seem to have had a dramatic effect on the surrounding neighborhood. The ground floor retail for the two buildings is still underdeveloped. Across the street is still vacant with no (?) rumors of development.

Understanding that, while the two sites are probably just a mile or so apart and there is certainly a difference in the surrounding existing residential and entertainment development (i.e., bars), why is there such a consensus that Caydon will so dramatically change the Midtown area while Skyhouse hasn't had much impact on its neighborhood? And yes, I understand that a long-planned residential tower on Main Street is also now under construction just a few blocks away. To me, the Bell Street Station site seems more similar to the McGowen Street Station site than not. Bell is closer to the Downtown attractions while Caydon is closer to the more developed Midtown residential area. But beyond that, how different are they?

I'm asking to be educated.

This is much higher quality development than Skyhouse, which builds the same building over and over. This also synergizes with the Superblock park and the nearby bar and treatment center district. With downtown, you have high parking demand which makes those blocks hard to develop with anything other than towers.