Urbannizer

Lowell Street Market: 718 W. 18th Street

if this image is true to form, they will be tearing down about half the building for the parking.

On 4/26/2016 at 8:45 AM, Urbannizer said:

3 retails structures totaling 10,000sq ft proposed.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/E6C3891E-90BF-41FF-BFE0-544E1284073B.pdf

ylRCSHt.jpg

16NcgeR.png

Cool find!

Here are the extracted images, renderings and site plan from the pdf file linked above from the Loopnet listing (archived Loopnet link). For the sake of those who want to find this in the future using the search and keywords, this retail development is being called Lowell Street Market from Radon Capital.

c6kVBpP.jpg

P8vCkJf.jpg

About Lowell Street Market concept from the marketing brochure:

Lowell Street Market is the re-imagining of three industrial warehouses in The Heights into vibrant and creative retail spaces.

Lowell Street Market is an adaptive reuse project featuring over 10,000 square feet of dramatic retail and restaurant space at the intersection of North Shepherd Drive and 18th Street.

The Heights is the antitheses of the Houston stereotype. In a city known for sprawl, The Heights is the epicenter of substance, authenticity, and style. The project sits in the heart of an ever-evolving area of Houston that includes critically acclaimed restaurants, studio fitness concepts and creative office.

Lowell Street now present-day Shepherd Drive, appeared on Oscar Martin Carter’s first promotional maps for the new city of Houston Heights, circa 1891, with its inviting green space and context to The Heights community.

About the structure of Lowell Street Market:

* Three modern industrial buildings, redeveloped in a responsible manner, contextual to The Heights.

* Six parking spaces per 1,000 square feet

* One central green space uniting the project’s buildings

From the Loopnet listing:

Lowell Street Market is an adaptive reuse project featuring over 10,000 square feet of dramatic retail and restaurant space. Redevelopment to commence summer 2017.

Property also available for sale or for lease in its current condition.

At the intersection of North Shepherd Drive and West 18th Street, the project sits in the heart of an ever-evolving area of Houston that includes critically acclaimed restaurants, studio fitness concepts and creative office.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

I know that these are just pie in the sky renderings, but I wonder whether someone is planning a grocery/restaurant concept?  Revival and Harolds both failed, but things are changing pretty quickly in the neighborhood.  Getting in and out of Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc. with just one or two items is not fun during busy times of the day.  I would gladly pay an extra buck or two not to have to deal with that when I just need eggs or a nice block of cheese.

5 hours ago, cspwal said:

Whoo it has the parking in the back!

4 hours ago, Avossos said:

if this image is true to form, they will be tearing down about half the building for the parking.

At least they're tearing down the back half. 

2 hours ago, s3mh said:

I know that these are just pie in the sky renderings, but I wonder whether someone is planning a grocery/restaurant concept?  Revival and Harolds both failed, but things are changing pretty quickly in the neighborhood.  Getting in and out of Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc. with just one or two items is not fun during busy times of the day.  I would gladly pay an extra buck or two not to have to deal with that when I just need eggs or a nice block of cheese.

1900 s.f. is not a lot of space for a grocery store. At least not when there are spacious stores with ample parking available as ready alternatives.

A specialty butcher or fishmonger (or a combination of the two) could potentially survive, but it'd have to be special enough to be a destination, not just a neighborhood convenience. You can find "exotic" meats (goat, whole suckling pig, various organ meats) at ethnic markets around town, but dry-aged beef, heritage pork, pasture-raised chicken, etc., are either only sporadically available, or exorbitantly expensive. Good seafood is similarly very difficult to find, though fishmongers don't make the best-smelling neighbors in a retail development.

From The Leader:

Lowell Market design envisions increase in pedestrians

If you’ve driven along North Shepherd lately, you might have seen a sign for Lowell Street Market at W. 18th St. just before Hunky Dory and Bernadine’s. Steve Radom with Radom Capital LLC says that the project, hopefully debuting in the first quarter of 2017, will be another opportunity to use and repurpose an existing building for a completely different result.

“Rather than just demolishing the property, we looked at the existing structures as a starting point to guide design,” said Radom. “We looked at how we could surgically remodel these old industrial buildings and regenerate a more modern and contextual retail environment.”

The design for Lowell Street includes reskinning the two end buildings in a darker wooden patina inspired by modern Japanese barns – “earthly with a modern punch” – and then uniting these two elements with a central green space. In addition to a courtyard, which will be visible to diners on the patio at Hunky Dory and Bernadine’s, there will be a new 3,000 square foot building designed out of glass and weathered metal panels that architect Troy Schaum of Schaum/Shieh intended to complement the transitional character of the area. “There is a sense of combining the old existing industrial character of the area with a softer domestic feeling of the larger Heights community,” Schaum added.

A developer of other projects in the Heights, including the forthcoming Heights Mercantile on 7th Street, the rehab of 3210 White Oak which houses Black Swan Yoga and Juiceland, and the former washateria at 420 E. 20th St. where Steel City Pops has opened and Bird’s Barbershop is forthcoming, Radom was actively looking for something on Shepherd because he said it’s becoming a true retail and restaurant corridor.

Radom and colleague Barton Kelly asked Barrett Von Blon with Davis Commercial to approach some business owners along N. Shepherd to see if anyone was interested in selling, and were able to connect with a willing seller. Sol Eisenbaum, the longtime owner of Airmakers Cooling & Heating – and the three warehouses on West 18th – was wrapping up his business and ready to sell. The other tenant, Savvi Commercial Furniture, is still at the location, finishing up the lease.

He wouldn’t disclose the price he paid for the warehouses and said that “it is nearly impossible to find a reasonably priced property” in the Heights now. However, Radom said that their purchase price allowed them to reimagine the existing structures, maintain a central courtyard and still do something pedestrian friendly.

“It’s the challenge of business,” he said, “but if we get creative, we are still able to do something interesting in the Heights that’s not vertical.”

Radom’s promotional materials for the project state that Lowell Street was the former incarnation of Shepherd Drive and appeared on Oscar Martin’s first promotional maps for the new Houston Heights, circa 1891: “With its inviting green space and context to the Heights Community, Lowell Street Market will help return the Shepherd Drive Corridor to O.M. Carter’s Original Vision for the Neighborhood.”

Really?

It will definitely be a step in the right direction according to Radom, who grew up in Los Angeles where the weather was a big factor in outdoor oriented development.

“Houston has constantly been evolving,” he said. “Developers and city planners are understanding that people are demanding pedestrian and bike friendly projects.”

Radom says that it’s up to the new developers in the area to make their spaces more pedestrian friendly. For Lowell Market, that starts with having parking in the back and orienting the three main structures to 18th Street.

As it exists now, there is 21,000 square feet of buildings. That will be pared down to 10,000 square feet to accommodate city requirements for parking and to enhance the green space.

“The courtyard will be the nucleus of the development and it will be house outdoor seating, landscape elements, bike racks and trees,” said Radom.

Radom said the development already has signed tenants but that he isn’t in a position to announce them. While the promotional generic flyers shows such tantalizing generic options as a grocery store, dessert shop and spa, Radom can confirm that there are already some food options locked in.

As for what’s next, Radom says his firm is constantly looking outside the Heights for new opportunities in Montrose, the Museum District, West University, the Galleria, River Oaks and yes, Garden Oaks and Oak Forest.

“We’ve spent a lot of time recently there and are pretty close to some properties,” said Radom. “We believe that the area is in its first chapter as far as retail development.”

• Like 1

Snooze, An A.M. Eatery is rumored to have signed a lease at Lowell Street Market

S3mh posted a link shared by The Heights Life and the Memorial Area Eats Facebook group earlier today:

18 hours ago, s3mh said:

http://www.crains.com/article/news/snooze-am-wants-take-over-breakfast-houston

Snooze signs lease in the Heights for another Houston location.  No info on where. People in Montrose love to line up for this restaurant.

Snooze, an A.M. Eatery, plans to wake up Houstonians across the city with two new restaurants in the works, CEO David Birzon said.

The Denver, Colorado-based breakfast chain has signed a lease on a location in the Heights and permitting is under way for a location in Memorial at 600 West Sam Houston N. Parkway that should open in the second quarter next year. The eatery is eyeing Cinco Ranch for expansion as well, Birzon said.

“We love the Texas market and we love the Houston market,” Birzon said. “We picked Houston because the city has done an amazing job building really distinct neighborhoods.”

Ultimately, Birzon said Houston can sustain between six to 12 Snooze eateries.

So it could be the restaurant that's in the middle warehouse of Lowell Street Market's site plan:

From a few months ago:

Q4cACCI.jpg

Updated site plan from Loopnet:

T8aumC4.png

On 10/25/2016 at 1:49 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Snooze, An A.M. Eatery is rumored to have signed a lease at Lowell Street Market

S3mh posted a link shared by The Heights Life and the Memorial Area Eats Facebook group earlier today:

http://www.crains.com/article/news/snooze-am-wants-take-over-breakfast-houston

Snooze signs lease in the Heights for another Houston location.  No info on where. People in Montrose love to line up for this restaurant.

Snooze, an A.M. Eatery, plans to wake up Houstonians across the city with two new restaurants in the works, CEO David Birzon said.

The Denver, Colorado-based breakfast chain has signed a lease on a location in the Heights and permitting is under way for a location in Memorial at 600 West Sam Houston N. Parkway that should open in the second quarter next year. The eatery is eyeing Cinco Ranch for expansion as well, Birzon said.

“We love the Texas market and we love the Houston market,” Birzon said. “We picked Houston because the city has done an amazing job building really distinct neighborhoods.”

Ultimately, Birzon said Houston can sustain between six to 12 Snooze eateries.

So it could be the restaurant that's in the middle warehouse of Lowell Street Market's site plan:

From a few months ago:

Q4cACCI.jpg

T8aumC4.png

Confirmation Snooze is opening at 718 W 18th Street, Lowell Street Market:

From Houston Business Journal:

"The company has signed leases in Town & Country Village near CityCentre, at 600 W. Sam Houston Parkway North, and in The Heights, at 718 W. 18th St., and plans to add two or three more locations in 2018, Birzon said. Snooze is also working on a lease in Katy at Cinco Ranch. Restaurants will be about 3,800 to 4,200 square feet each."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/10/31/popular-montrose-breakfast-spot-to-cook-up-more.html

Thanks, @Mab! And thank you for uploading the site plan and not hotlinking the image. The site plan isn't uploaded on Loopnet any longer, so I appreciate you uploading it here. I am looking forward to Seaside Poke, Smoosh, Snooze an A.M. Eatery and Beautifully Bronzed taking a chance on the Heights.

On 12/22/2016 at 9:45 AM, Angostura said:

So I guess that's where Seaside Poke is going.

Smoosh does ice cream & cookie sandwiches. Currently a truck that can often be found in Rice Village; this would be their first brick & mortar.

This location lines up with the hint Seaside Poke threw out in their interview with Houston Press. Smoosh is an ice cream truck with ice cream sandwiches (cookies, churros, waffles) and ice cream cones on the menu. Smoosh announced a while ago it was opening a brick and mortar store on its website:

Located in Rice Village - 5505 Morningside Dr. Please check our schedule for our hours of operation    

First SMOOSH Store - COMING SOON! We would love to hear from you so email us your suggestions for possible locations!

My office is across the street.  The demo contractor told me the site was resold and they are taking EVERYTHING out.  Anybody have insight as to the validity of this?

Edited by BBLLC

On 12/29/2016 at 1:19 PM, BBLLC said:

My office is across the street.  The demo contractor told me the site was resold and they are taking EVERYTHING out.  Anybody have insight as to the validity of this?

What do you mean by they're taking everything out?

The redevelopment is moving forward. Smoosh made an official announcement yesterday on Facebook     followed by a picture of Lowell Street Market:

Houston, we have a problem! We are about to spoil you with more ice cream sandwiches. We are proud to announce SMOOSH's first brick and mortar in the Heights! Coming soon in 2017! Stay tuned!

They took the building down to the steel frame and foundation.  But from the renderings it looks like they will reuse the frame and foundation for the most part.  

6 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

What do you mean by they're taking everything out?

The redevelopment is moving forward. Smoosh made an official announcement yesterday on Facebook     followed by a picture of Lowell Street Market:

The demo contractor told me a week ago that they were razing the entire site because it had been resold and the new owner had different plans.  Since that conversation it looks like that was BS because they have kept the red iron frames that are consistent with the original plans.   

On 10/25/2016 at 1:49 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From a few months ago:

Q4cACCI.jpg

T8aumC4.png

On 11/20/2016 at 8:22 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Confirmation Snooze is opening at 718 W 18th Street, Lowell Street Market:

From Houston Business Journal:

"The company has signed leases in Town & Country Village near CityCentre, at 600 W. Sam Houston Parkway North, and in The Heights, at 718 W. 18th St., and plans to add two or three more locations in 2018, Birzon said. Snooze is also working on a lease in Katy at Cinco Ranch. Restaurants will be about 3,800 to 4,200 square feet each."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/10/31/popular-montrose-breakfast-spot-to-cook-up-more.html

On 12/21/2016 at 8:28 PM, Mab said:

From Rebusiness Online this month:

"  Baker Katz has completed two leases for Snooze, an A.M Eatery, at Town & Country Village and Houston Heights Lowell Street Market in Houston... and a 3,785-square-foot second location is scheduled to open in late summer at Houston Heights Lowell Street Market. "

http://rebusinessonline.com/baker-katz-arranges-two-leases-for-snooze-eatery-in-houston/

From the Lack of Restaurant Diversity in the Heights thread:

7 minutes ago, s3mh said:

Snooze is pretty much built out and staffing up.  

Not to jump off topic. I love all the development going on in this part of the Heights. For anyone who lives in the area, are there any plans for infrastructure upgrades like new sidewalks, etc? The area where FatKatz is at has terrible road and drainage issues along with terrible sidewalks. 

Unless the developer does the upgrades as part of the construction, they don't get done. There's no way CoH is going to do anything about sidewalks in this area.

3 hours ago, Angostura said:

Unless the developer does the upgrades as part of the construction, they don't get done. There's no way CoH is going to do anything about sidewalks in this area.

I think if it's reported it will. I just reported a lack of sidewalk access in a part of Midtown that I live in and they have already put the location on their list of repairs. 

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I think if it's reported it will. I just reported a lack of sidewalk access in a part of Midtown that I live in and they have already put the location on their list of repairs. 

Is it the city doing the repairs or the Midtown TIRZ?  Generally, I don't believe the city is responsible for installing or maintaining sidewalks. 

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Is it the city doing the repairs or the Midtown TIRZ?  Generally, I don't believe the city is responsible for installing or maintaining sidewalks. 

I'm assuming Midtown TIRZ

Sing, the Singaporean restaurant from Cuc Lam, is opening instead at Lowell Street Market in the Heights.

Sing was going to open in Revive's redeveloped 34th Street Ella Retail Center at 3323 Ella Blvd in the Garden Oaks / Oak Forest neighborhood. Posts about the restaurant in the forum here and here.