Stages At The Gordy Theatre At 800 Rosine St.

Urbannizer

The Stages Repertory Theatre plans to move one block down from their existing location. A warehouse that currently sits on the site will receive renovations and undergo an expansion. A parking structure will also be constructed.

26585975675_73556a4330_o.jpg

26585975235_6f15f2d415_o.jpg

26585974935_fb47ff04df_o.jpg

• 5 months later...

My guess is that the theatre got some extra money from somewhere and so were able to do more with this project. The new design looks slick. That's Gensler for ya! Another idea is that the earlier images were simply experiments with the site to see what could be possible with the needs and scope of the project. 

• 1 year later...

They got rid of the surface parking seen in my initial post. Construction to begin Summer 2018.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Stages-announces-plan-to-build-a-30-5-million-12407832.php?utm_campaign=twitter-premium&utm_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social#photo-14654710

Stages Repertory Theatre plans to build a $30.5 million theater complex to bolster its position as the city's largest performing arts nonprofit outside of the downtown Theater District — a move to improve not only the company's artistic freedom, but also provide an amenity for the surrounding north Montrose neighborhood.

The company wants the 66,850-square-foot proposed building, which features three stages and a two-story parking garage, to be more than a theater.

"We want to change this idea that a performance space opens itself for 90 minutes a night," said Managing Director Mark Folkes "We want to, rather, create a dynamic gathering space, where there can be post-performance open mic cabaret."

1200x1200.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2019/12/27/5-reasons-to-be-stoked-about-the-gordy-s-new-digs

I

t’s a gamechanger for Houston theater, and it has plenty of parking. The Gordy—Stages Repertory Theatre’s brand-new $35 million, 66,825-square-foot home, located near Allen Parkway and Waugh—opens to the public this month, halfway into Stages’ 2019–20 season.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

wow, I am going to have to file this one under the "economical" parking garage category.  I cant remember the last time I saw a parking garage so plain.  Hopefully they will cover that NE corner with advertising for shows / performances....

I mean they just finished it lol I'm sure they'll hang banners or something at some point. 

8 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

wow, I am going to have to file this one under the "economical" parking garage category.  I cant remember the last time I saw a parking garage so plain.  Hopefully they will cover that NE corner with advertising for shows / performances....

They not only had a tight budget, but a really weird site. Plus the parking requirements for theaters is pretty brutal. I'm a bit disappointed as well, but hopefully in future budgets they can hide/mask it.

• The title was changed to Stages At The Gordy Theatre
  • The title was changed to Stages At The Gordy Theatre At 800 Rosine St.

Archived