TxDOT Highway Advisory Radio System - 1680kHz

Purpledevil

Does anyone have any clue as to what the deal is with our highway advisory radio system station on 1680 AM? For several months now, it has been "advising" motorists that the SB Eastex Freeway @ I-10 East exit ramp is closed due to a stalled 18 wheeler. What on earth is this thing even on the air for if nobody bothers to update the programming? Even now, as numerous streets and intersections are flooded all throughout the City, there sits our local TxDOT system carrying on with the same report that it's been airing for months on end. Why? Is there a reason why this system even exists, other than to waste a few hundred watts of electricity?

Has anyone else even noticed?

2 hours ago, Purpledevil said:

Does anyone have any clue as to what the deal is with our highway advisory radio system station on 1680 AM? For several months now, it has been "advising" motorists that the SB Eastex Freeway @ I-10 East exit ramp is closed due to a stalled 18 wheeler. What on earth is this thing even on the air for if nobody bothers to update the programming? Even now, as numerous streets and intersections are flooded all throughout the City, there sits our local TxDOT system carrying on with the same report that it's been airing for months on end. Why? Is there a reason why this system even exists, other than to waste a few hundred watts of electricity?

Has anyone else even noticed?

I've noticed the "Tune to 1680 AM for Highway Advisory When Flashing" sign at least on 610 West but it's never been on (I don't think it was on during my commute home, though the Transtar road signs have been warning people about the closure at SH 6 or "TURN AROUND DON'T DROWN" notices. 

18 hours ago, IronTiger said:

I've noticed the "Tune to 1680 AM for Highway Advisory When Flashing" sign at least on 610 West but it's never been on (I don't think it was on during my commute home, though the Transtar road signs have been warning people about the closure at SH 6 or "TURN AROUND DON'T DROWN" notices. 

You see? That is exactly my point. You're from Aggieland, Tiger, and probably had no idea that the "advisory" station has been looping the same message for months on end. By chance, you as an out of towner, flip to 1680 to hear what kind of traffic tie-ups to avoid while traversing the City. Lo and behold, there's an 18 wheeler blocking the freeway on 59 @ I-10, or so you now think because the highway advisory system for Houston just told you it is. The problem, there is no 18 wheeler blocking jack squat on the Eastex Freeway, and hasn't been for umpteen months now. This is a facility that should be saving lives, 8 by my last count were killed in this latest catastrophe, all the while those signs NEVER have the lights flashing above them, and the actual station itself is running extremely outdated information! What the hell? Why are we as taxpayers in this county putting up with a system that is costing us money (and dare I say lives) when it's apparently being utilized on the same level as the yellow contraflow lanes that are supposed to be opened for evacuation during a hurricane? Ike anyone? What was that, a gentle late summer thunderstorm?

Certain things about our official emergency preparedness plans are flat out twisted and a waste of resources and money. These are a glaring example of two.

2 hours ago, Purpledevil said:

You see? That is exactly my point. You're from Aggieland, Tiger, and probably had no idea that the "advisory" station has been looping the same message for months on end. By chance, you as an out of towner, flip to 1680 to hear what kind of traffic tie-ups to avoid while traversing the City. Lo and behold, there's an 18 wheeler blocking the freeway on 59 @ I-10, or so you now think because the highway advisory system for Houston just told you it is. The problem, there is no 18 wheeler blocking jack squat on the Eastex Freeway, and hasn't been for umpteen months now. This is a facility that should be saving lives, 8 by my last count were killed in this latest catastrophe, all the while those signs NEVER have the lights flashing above them, and the actual station itself is running extremely outdated information! What the hell? Why are we as taxpayers in this county putting up with a system that is costing us money (and dare I say lives) when it's apparently being utilized on the same level as the yellow contraflow lanes that are supposed to be opened for evacuation during a hurricane? Ike anyone? What was that, a gentle late summer thunderstorm?

Certain things about our official emergency preparedness plans are flat out twisted and a waste of resources and money. These are a glaring example of two.

I tuned in today at 610 West and heard the same thing when I tuned in a few months ago...dead air, though there was a continuous static going through it louder than the static on normal dead air. I'm guessing that there's not enough power to reach Uptown. Meanwhile, the signage was still giving generic flood advisories despite the fact that 610 was jammed as it normally is around 6 (instead of travel times), and then only at I-10 W it mentions that Highway 6, the biggest artery between Beltway 8 and the Grand Parkway in Katy, is closed past Park Row due to flooding, and since water is collecting in the reservoir, I'm guessing Eldridge is too. That's a pretty significant traffic advisory, personally...

Interestingly enough, someone with a connection to the HAIF must've read this thread, or been advised of it by a fellow HAIFer. On my latest flip through the AM dial a few minutes ago, 1680 is now completely off the air. Amazing what happens when you make a stink about certain things on a public forum. Tiger, the highway advisory station is much like the various weather stations around SE Texas. Operating at low power. I believe the highway advisory stations are actually several different low power stations all linked together on the common frequency of 1680, here in Houston, serving Harris County. Going on one of my frequent trips to San Antonio, I have noticed that there's a sign near Katy indicating one should tune to 1610kHz for information, as Fort Bend County apparently operates theirs from a separate dial setting. Someone like our new HAIFer CW would likely be more capable of giving us the nuts and bolts of how the coordinated system actually works on that level.

...and since I'm certain that some HAIFers are wondering, no, I have nothing better to do than to flip through an obsolete radio dial on my off time. I don't know why, but I find it relaxing after a long day of putting out fires in the hotel business. It's just a part of what makes me the radio nerd I am. :lol:

3 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

If you ask me, when 1680 comes back it should include background music, maybe 70's 80's and 90's music. That might go well with the emergency weather reports and encourage people to listen.

Mouse, you are such a .... (Well, since you can't see it, there is a link below)

Archived